Semantic Search Challenge 2011

  • serendipity
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 21, 2011
      Call for PARTICIPATION
      Semantic Search Challenge 2011 (sponsored by Yahoo!)
      http://semsearch.yahoo.com

      Fellow Researcher,

      Building on the success of previous year's Semantic Search evaluation, we call for participation in the Semantic Search Challenge 2011, a competition that requires participants to answer queries of varying complexity based on a set of structured data collected from the Web. This year's competition will consists of two tracks. The first "Entity Search Track" consists of queries that refer to one particular entity. The second "List Search Track" consists of complex queries with multiple possible answers. The winners of each track will receive a prize of $500 dollars (sponsored by Yahoo!). Please refer to the website for details.

      The results of the evaluation will be presented at the 4th International Semantic Search Workshop (SemSearch 2011), co-located with the World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2011) in Hyderabad, India. However, you don't need to attend the workshop to participate in the Challenge.

      We are looking forward to having you participate!

      Cheers,

      the Organizing Committee

      Roi Blanco (Yahoo! Research)
      Harry Halpin (University of Edinburgh)
      Daniel M. Herzig (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
      Peter Mika (Yahoo! Research)
      Henry S. Thompson (University of Edinburgh)
      Thanh Tran Duc (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)

      -----------------------------------
      Important Dates
      -----------------------------------

      Contest entry period starts: 12:00:00 AM PT on March 1, 2011

      Contest entry period ends: 11:59:59 PM PT on March 15, 2011

      WWW 2011 Conference: March 28 - April 1, 2011

      SemSearch 2011 Workshop Day: March 29, 2011

      See the website http://semsearch.yahoo.com for further details
    • semsearch.ntnu
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23, 2011
        Hi,

        two things that aren't clear to me:

        1) Where is the actual registration form?

        2) Is it allowed to use external resources (i.e., anything beyond the BTC collection)?

        Thanks,
        Krisztian Balog

        --- In semsearcheval@yahoogroups.com, "serendipity" <pmika@...> wrote:

        > Call for PARTICIPATION
        > Semantic Search Challenge 2011 (sponsored by Yahoo!)
        > http://semsearch.yahoo.com
        >
        > Fellow Researcher,
        >
        > Building on the success of previous year's Semantic Search evaluation, we call for participation in the Semantic Search Challenge 2011, a competition that requires participants to answer queries of varying complexity based on a set of structured data collected from the Web. This year's competition will consists of two tracks. The first "Entity Search Track" consists of queries that refer to one particular entity. The second "List Search Track" consists of complex queries with multiple possible answers. The winners of each track will receive a prize of $500 dollars (sponsored by Yahoo!). Please refer to the website for details.
        >
        > The results of the evaluation will be presented at the 4th International Semantic Search Workshop (SemSearch 2011), co-located with the World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2011) in Hyderabad, India. However, you don't need to attend the workshop to participate in the Challenge.

        > We are looking forward to having you participate!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > the Organizing Committee
        >
        > Roi Blanco (Yahoo! Research)
        > Harry Halpin (University of Edinburgh)
        > Daniel M. Herzig (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
        > Peter Mika (Yahoo! Research)
        > Henry S. Thompson (University of Edinburgh)
        > Thanh Tran Duc (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
        >
        > -----------------------------------
        > Important Dates
        > -----------------------------------
        >
        > Contest entry period starts: 12:00:00 AM PT on March 1, 2011
        >
        > Contest entry period ends: 11:59:59 PM PT on March 15, 2011
        >
        > WWW 2011 Conference: March 28 - April 1, 2011
        >
        > SemSearch 2011 Workshop Day: March 29, 2011

        > See the website http://semsearch.yahoo.com for further details

      • Peter Mika
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2011
          Hi Krisztian,

          The registration form will go online this Thursday. You can use external resources as part of your method but you should clearly indicate it. In either case, the task is the same: rank the particular resources in the dataset provided, i.e. you can not return as result URIs that are not in the dataset.

          Hope this helps,

          Peter

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 23, 2011
            Peter -- great, thanks!