My Surnames, Family Tree w/census & information

  • SproutingFamTree@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2005
      Vonda NORWOOD’s Family Tree w/census and some additional information.
      Surnames:
      NORWOOD-VA-AL, CHANDLER-AL-KY, SMITH-AL-TX, PEEBLES-AL, FINDLEY-AL,
      BUXTON-AL, ATCHLEY-AL, DEAN-AL, CUSHION-FL-AL, JOHNSON-AL, SMITH-AL, PARKER-AL,
      HUNT-GA-AL, POWELL-SC-MS, DUBOSE-SC, DAMPIER-SC, WARREN-SC, LEE-NC, DAWSON-NC,
      BOWLES-NC, WILKINS-SC, DEES-Scotland-AL-MS, PIPKIN-VA-AL-MS, PARIS-NC, GOODMAN-VA,
      HUGHES-AL.
      My father:
      Ronnie Earl NORWOOD
      Birth: 11-21-1941 in Atmore, AL
      Death: 1991 in Auburndale, Polk., FL
      My Mother:
      Patricia Darlene CHANDLER
      Birth: in Gainsville, Texas (Living)
      Marriage July 1964 in Atmore, AL.
      The Parents of Patricia CHANDLER:
      Father: Walter Duke CHANDLER b: 1913 in ? AL
      Mother: _Ruby Darlene SMITH_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537954016) b: 4-13-1926 in ? Miss Death: 1973 in
      Los Angeles, Ca
      NOTE for Ruby Darlene SMITH: Buried in Rose Hills Cemetery in Los Angeles,
      Ca.
      Her family nick name was "Dinky".
      Her siblings:
      Lily Mae SMITH b: 9 AUG 1913
      Earl Roscoe (DOCK) SMITH b: 22 APR 1915
      Walter Oran SMITH b: 31 JAN 1916
      Luther SMITH b: 1918
      Reba Lee Lorene SMITH b: 5 FEB 1920
      Juanita Lorabell (DEETER) SMITH b: 4 FEB 1922
      Williard (BILL) (TOOKA) SMITH b: 6 DEC 1923
      Vester Lee (BUNK) SMITH b: 28 MAR 1928
      Living SMITH
      Living SMITH
      Alice Faye SMITH b: 6 SEP 1934
      Living SMITH
      The parents of Ruby Darlene SMITH:
      Father: _Homer Anderson SMITH_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537963865) b: 1894 in Attalla, Etowah Co.,
      Alabama Death: July 2, 1955 in La Junta, Colorado. Note: Burial: Amarillo, Potter,
      TX
      Mother: Mary Alice ATCHLEY b: MAY 13,1898 in Guntersville, AL Death: APR
      23, 1961 in April 23, 1961 Houston, Texas. Note: Burial: Amarillo, Potter,
      TX.
      The parents of Mary Alice ATCHLEY:
      Father: Thomas Monroe ATCHLEY b: 1886 in ? AL
      Mother: Sarah Elizabeth UNKNOWN b: 1860 in Georgia
      The parents of Walter Duke CHANDLER:
      Father: Walter Richard CHANDLER b: 1887 in AL Death: 1962 in Paducah,
      Mccracken, KY.
      Mother: Ida DEAN b: 1891 in ? AL
      The Parents of Walter Richard CHANDLER:
      Father: James Filmore CHANDLER b.? d.?
      Mother: Ida BUXTON b.? d.?
      Note for Ronnie Earl NORWOOD:
      In 2000, Ronnie's sister Alice NORWOOD Daniels told me that my father
      suffered from epileptic seizures for years before his death. Maybe diabetic. His
      heart gave out on him in 1991.
      My parents separated shortly after the birth of my brother ___ Warren
      Norwood in California. My mother stayed in California, my father went back to
      Atmore, Al.
      Alice also told me that at one time, Ronnie married a woman named Kathy in
      Texas and divorced.
      I was also told that my father may have another daughter. I was told that
      the girl's mother never married my father, but that the child goes by the last
      name NORWOOD. I have no idea what her name or age is.
      I was told that she and her mother live in southern Alabama.
      The parents of Ronnie Earl NORWOOD:
      Father: _Lester Hibard NORWOOD_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537954012) b: 1903 in Canoe, AL Death:
      3-10-1965 in Escambia, FL buried Buried in Cannan Freewill Cemetery in Canoe,
      Escambia, AL
      Mother: _Odie Lee CUSHON_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537954013) b: 1905 in Atmore, Monroe., AL Death:
      1984 in Atmore, Monroe, AL. She married 7 times: (Odie’s known last names are
      Maiden - Cushion, 2nd marriage -Lester H. Norwood, Might be 3rd marriage -
      Grace Purvis, ? Nowlin, ? Wiggins, ? Tatum, Johnny Remphrey Last marriage:
      Robert Maughon).
      Note: Her daughter Alice told me that Lester H. NORWOOD was Odie's 2nd
      husband and that she married 7 times.
      NOTE:
      Additional info for Jewel NORWOOD:
      Canaan Freewill Cemetery - Canoe, Escambia, Alabama.
      JEWEL N. EDISON (2ND Marriage)
      1926 - 1966
      The children of Odie Lee CUSHION:
      Jewel Marie Norwood Garrett Edison
      Dorothy Norwood Locke born July 30, 1928 in Baldwin County, Alabama.
      Betty Sue Norwood Bray born December 19, 1930 married Max Eugene Bray, born
      November 13, 1928 in Huxford, Escambia County, Alabama. They married on
      December 11, 1948 in Mississippi.
      Buddy Norwood b.? d.?
      Alice Norwood Daniels b.? AL died.2000 Atmore, AL.
      Ronnie Earl Norwood b.1941 d.1991.
      Carolyn Purvis (living), Father was Grace Purvis.
      The parents of Odie Lee CUSHION:
      Father: Warren William CUSHION b: 1886 in Al
      Mother: Maggie "Dollie" JOHNSON b: 1894 in AL
      1910 Monroe Co. AL Precinct 14 Page 184 11/11
      Warren Cushion Head M W 22 M1 2 yrs FL FL FL Farmer
      Maggie Cushion Wife F W 16 M1 2 yrs AL AL AL
      Odie Cushion Dau F W 1 ?/12 S AL FL AL
      Note:I don't know if Maggie died or if they divorced before 1920. Warren
      married her older sister by 1920:
      1920 Monroe Co. AL Jones Mill Enum Dist 155 Page 244B Sheet 2B
      Warren Cushion Head M W 32 M FL FL FL
      Annie Cushion Wife F W 34 M AL AL AL
      Odie Lee Cushion Dau F W 10 S AL FL AL
      Bessie Hendrix Step Dau F W 16 S AL AL AL
      Canaan Freewill Cemetery - Canoe, Escambia, Alabama
      ANNIE J. CUSHON
      1886 - 1950
      WARREN W. CUSHON
      1886 - 1951
      The parents of Maggie JOHNSON:
      Father: John W. JOHNSON b.?d.?
      Mother: Sallie SMITH b: ABT.1866 in AL d.?
      The parents of Sallie SMITH:
      Father: Hugh SMITH b: ABT.1838 in AL d.?
      Mother: UNKNOWN
      Note: 1910 Monroe Co. AL Jones Mill Page 193
      Sallie Johnson Head F W 44 W 5 of 5 children living AL AL AL
      Hugh Smith Father M W 72 W AL AL AL
      Annie Hendrix Dau F W 24 W 1 of 1 child living AL AL AL
      Walter Johnson Son M W 13 S AL AL AL
      Bessie Hendrix Grand D. F W 7 S AL AL AL
      NOTE: It could be possible that Hugh SMITH is on the 1880 census
      Stating that he and his parents were from TN:
      This is the only Matching Hugh SMITH on 1880 census that I can find:
      1900 Monroe Co, AL, ED 158, sht 1, page 64
      John W. JOHNSON 47 MS SC SC farmer, married 18 yrs
      Sally M. 38 AL SC AL married 18 yrs, 5 kids, 5 living
      Annie S. R. 14 AL MS AL
      John A. 11 AL MS AL farm laborer
      Ida J. 9 AL MS AL
      Mary M. 7 AL MS AL
      Walter M. 2 AL MS AL
      The parents of Hugh SMITH:
      Father: John SMITH b ? AL d.?
      Mother: Sarah HUGHES b.? AL d.?
      NOTE: Information is from a related SMITH: “Hugh Smith was the son of John
      Smith and Sarah Hughes Smith they came from Butler county a place called Oakey
      Streak
      and settled in Jones Mill now Frisco City Monroe County.”
      The parents of Warren William CUSHION:
      Father: Louis CUSHION b: 1843 in FL
      Mother: Mary UNKNOWN b: 1845/50 in AL or FL
      NOTE: On the 1900 census of Escambia Co. FL. Warren is there with his
      parents - Louis and Mary CUSHION and a sister named Mattie. Louis b.in FL his
      father b.in NY and mother b.in AL.
      Mary's father b. in GA and mother in AL. On the 1910 and 1920 census of
      Monroe Co. AL Warren says that his parents were both born in FL. Maybe because
      they were from Escambia County..?
      1920 Escambia County, Alabama - Precinct 7, Canoe? not incorporated -
      January 24, 26, 27, 1920 - ED 92/Sheet 10A177 –
      ROWELL, Eugene, head; renting; M W 45 Md; AL US US; labor/peach farm
      Mattie, wife; F W 29 Md; FL MI AL
      Kenneth, son; M W 10 S; born AL
      Viola, dau; F W 7 S; born AL
      CUSHION, Mary, mother-in-law; F W 75 Wd; AL AL AL; no occupation
      The mystery here is; How can Mary Cushion be on the 1920 census, while at
      Canaan Freewill Cemetery,
      She is written in as being dead in 1919?
      Canaan Freewill Cemetery - Canoe, Escambia, Alabama
      MATTIE ROWELL
      (ILLEGIBLE DATES)

      (ILLEGIBLE) E. ROWELL
      (DATES ILLEGIBLE)

      THEOPHILES L. ROWELL
      BORN SEPT. 11, 1907
      DIED MAR. 3, 1908
      "FROM MOTHER'S ARMS TO
      THE ARMS OF JESUS"

      MARY CUSHON
      1850
      1919 (might be wrong date)
      The parents of Lester Hibard NORWOOD:
      Father: _Mose Evans NORWOOD_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537963910) b: 1879 in AL Death: 1952 in Canoe,
      Escambia, AL
      Marriage: 1898 Escambia, AL
      Mother: _Susan Abagail PEEBLES_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537963911) b: 1881 in AL Death: 1951 in Canoe,
      Escambia, AL
      Susan A. PEEBLES married Mose Evans NORWOOD and on their marriage license
      her name is written as Abbie PEEBLES.
      Canaan Freewill Cemetery - Canoe, Escambia, Alabama
      Parents:
      NORWOOD (PEEBLES)
      SUSAN A.
      1881 – 1951
      NORWOOD
      MOSE I.
      1879 – 1952
      Their children:
      (1) L. HIBARD NORWOOD
      JUNE 12, 1904
      MAR. 10, 1965
      NORWOOD
      (2) RUSSELL B. (BRAXTON)
      JUNE 16, 1908
      APRIL 26, 1969
      "INTO THY HANDS I COMMEND
      MY SPIRIT"

      The parents of Susan A. PEEBLES:
      Father: _William Henry PEEBLES_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537975600) b:1851 in Tunnel Springs, Monroe Co,
      AL Death: 2 Mar 2, 1910 in Canoe, Escambia Co.,
      Mother: _Sarah Ann Elizabeth FINDLEY_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537975601) b: 1854 in ?AL Death: 29 Jun
      1928 in Brewton, Escambia Co, AL.
      Source Information:1880
      Census Place
      Parkers, Escambia, Alabama
      William PEEBLES
      Self
      Male
      30
      AL
      Laborer
      SC
      SC
      Sarah PEEBLES
      Wife
      Female
      26
      AL
      Keeping House
      SC
      SC
      William PEEBLES
      Son
      Male
      6
      AL
      AL
      AL
      Ida PEEBLES
      Dau
      Female
      4
      AL
      AL
      AL
      Harriett PEEBLES
      Dau
      Female
      2
      AL
      AL
      AL
      The parents of Sarah A.E. FINDLEY:
      Father: _William FINDLEY_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537976828) b: 1818 Unknown AL Death: 1888 in ?AL
      Mother: _Sarah Ann Rebecca PARKER_
      (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:2570889&id=I537976829) b: 1820 in AL Death: 1910 in AL
      CENSUS YR: 1850 STATE or TERRITORY: AL COUNTY: CONECUH REEL NO: 659
      PAGE NO: 361
      3 447 447 FINDLEY WM. 30 M FARMER 150
      GA
      4 447 447 FINDLEY SARAH ANN 26 F
      GA
      5 447 447 FINDLEY ELIZA 8 F
      AL X
      6 447 447 FINDLEY ROBERT 10 M
      AL X
      7 447 447 FINDLEY JOHN 6 M
      AL
      8 447 447 FINDLEY WM. 5 M
      AL
      Household:1880census
      Parkers, Escambia, Alabama
      Name
      Relation
      Marital Status
      Gender
      Race
      Age
      Birthplace
      Occupation
      Father's Birthplace
      Mother's Birthplace
      William FINDLEY
      Self
      Male
      62
      AL
      Farmer
      AL
      AL
      Sarah FINDLEY
      Wife
      Female
      60
      AL
      Keeping House
      SC
      SC
      Eliza FINDLEY
      Dau
      Female
      30
      AL
      AL
      AL
      Winny FINDLEY
      Dau
      Female
      25
      AL
      AL
      AL
      George FINDLEY
      Son
      Male
      22
      AL
      AL
      AL
      Davis FINDLEY
      Son
      Male
      18
      AL
      AL
      AL
      The parents of Sarah A. R. PARKER:
      Father: John W. PARKER b: 12 DEC 1793 in Dalton, Whitfield, Georgia
      Mother: Winnie HUNT b: 4 DEC 1797 in Dalton Co., Georgia D.1851 in AL.
      Conecuh, AL 1850 Federal Census
      19 438 438 PARKER JOHN 56 M FARMER 800
      GA
      20 438 438 PARKER MINNEY 53 F
      GA
      21 438 438 PARKER MARY 20 F
      AL
      22 438 438 PARKER ELIZABETH 18 F
      AL
      23 438 438 PARKER MARGARET 14 F
      AL X
      24 438 438 PARKER WM. 17 M FARMER
      AL X
      25 438 438 PARKER LAZARUS 12 M
      AL X
      26 438 438 CROSS MARY 20 F
      AL
      This might be John PARKER’s mother. The others are unknown to me:
      Conecuh, AL 1850 Federal Census:
      23 450 450 HERRINGTON MILES J 47 M FARMER 600
      GA
      24 450 450 HERRINGTON SARAH 41 F
      GA
      25 450 450 HERRINGTON GEO. G 24 M MERCHANT
      FL
      26 450 450 BROWNING JANE E 8 F
      FL
      27 450 450 PARKER MARY 76 F
      MD
      The Parents of William Henry PEEBLES:
      Father: Henry Livingston PEEBLES b: 1818 ? SC (might be William Henry
      Livingston PEEBLES)
      Mother: Susan Lucretia DEES b: 7 Mar 1825 in Monroe Co., Al
      The Parents of Susan Lucretia DEES:
      Father: Mark DEES b: 1793 in Sumter Co., S.C
      Mother: Jane PIPKIN b: 10 MAY 1807 in NC
      Conecuh, AL 1850 Federal Census:
      32 489 489 DEESE MARK 60 M FARMER
      SC X
      33 489 489 DEESE JANE 50 F
      NC
      34 489 489 PIPKIN AFA 90 M
      NC
      35 489 489 DEESE PHILLIP 12 M
      AL X
      36 489 489 DEESE JOHN 10 M
      AL X
      37 489 489 DEESE MARY F F
      AL X
      The parents of Asa PIPKIN:
      Father: Philip PIPKIN b: Abt 1735 in Chowan Co. North Carolina
      Mother: Martha PARIS b: Abt 1736 in Pitt Co. North Carolina
      The Parents of Philip PIPKIN:
      Father: John PIPKIN (3) b: 23 Feb 1677 in Surrey Co. Virginia
      Mother: Martha GOODMAN b: Abt 1695 in Surrey Co. Virginia
      The parents of Mose Evans NORWOOD:
      Father: John (4) Washington NORWOOD b: 1837 in Bells Landing, AL Death:
      June 10,1910 in Natchez, Monroe, AL.
      Mother: Margaret C. HALL (HALL IS N
      NOT PROVEN)b: 1842 in Perdido, AL
      Household: Source Information:1880
      Census Place
      Bells Landing, Monroe, Alabama

      Name
      Relation
      Marital Status
      Gender
      Race
      Age
      Birthplace
      Occupation
      Father's Birthplace
      Mother's Birthplace
      John W. NORWOOD
      Self
      Male
      45
      AL
      Farming
      SC
      SC
      Margaret C. NORWOOD
      Wife
      Female
      41
      AL
      Keeping House
      SC
      NC
      Andy P. NORWOOD
      Son
      Male
      19
      AL
      Works On Farm
      AL
      AL
      Robert J. NORWOOD
      Son
      Male
      16
      AL
      Works On Farm
      AL
      AL
      Rebeca NORWOOD
      Dau
      Female
      8
      AL
      AL
      AL
      John T. NORWOOD
      Son
      Male
      11
      AL
      Works On Farm
      AL
      AL
      William L. NORWOOD
      Son
      Male
      7
      AL
      AL
      AL
      Mattie I. NORWOOD
      Dau
      Female
      5
      AL
      AL
      AL
      Connie A. NORWOOD
      Dau
      Female
      3
      AL
      AL
      AL
      Moses E. NORWOOD
      Son
      Male
      1
      AL
      AL
      AL

      ____________________________________

      New Hope Baptist Church Cemetery, Natchez, Monroe, Alabama:
      Norwood, Margaret 12/09/1842 05/18/1918
      Norwood, J. W. 05/25/1837 06/01/1910
      (I have not been able to obtain their death cert’s. Searches come up
      empty.)
      The parents of John Washington NORWOOD:
      Father: John 3 NORWOOD b: 1800 in Darlington Dist., SC d.?AL

      Mother: Mary A.DAMPIER?(DAMPIER has not been proven)b: abt.1811 in S.C.d.?AL
      Monroe, AL 1850 Federal Census
      10 907 907 Norwood John 50 M Farmer 400
      SC
      11 907 907 Norwood Mary A. 41 F
      SC
      12 907 907 Norwood Saml J. 20 M Farmer
      Ala
      13 907 907 Norwood Mary J. 17 F
      Ala X
      14 907 907 Norwood John W. 14 M
      Ala X
      15 907 907 Norwood Wm. R. 8 M
      Ala X
      16 907 907 Norwood Robert A. 6 M
      Ala
      17 907 907 Norwood Margaret A. 4 F
      Ala
      18 907 907 Norwood Rebeca B. 3 F
      Ala
      The parents of John 3 NORWOOD:
      Father: John 2 NORWOOD b: 1780 in Darlington Dist., SC
      Mother: Catherine Ann POWELL b: 1790 in Cheraw District, Darlington Cty.,
      SC
      The parents of Catherine Ann POWELL:
      Father: John Lee POWELL b: 1752 in Johnson Co, NC
      Mother: Catherine WILKINS b: 1750 in ? SC
      The Parents of John Lee POWELL:
      Father: John Lee Jr. POWELLb: ABT 1725 in ?NC
      Mother: Elizabeth LEE b: ABT.1730
      The Parents of John Lee Jr. POWELL:
      Father: John Sr. POWELL b: abt. 1700 in ?-NC
      Mother: Esther BOWLES
      The Parents of John 2 NORWOOD:
      Father: John Sr. NORWOODb: 17 Mar 1751 in Society Hill, Darlington Cty., SC
      Mother: Mary Dubose WARREN b: 1755 in Darlington Cty., SC
      The Parents of John 1 NORWOOD:
      Father: Theophilus (2nd) NORWOOD b: 1724 in Carteret Co.,NC
      Mother: Margaret DAWSON b: 1725 in Craven Cty., Nc
      The Parents of Theophilus 2 NORWOOD:
      Father: Theophilus Sr. NORWOOD b: abt.1700 in Perquimans Cty., NC
      Mother: Elizabeth JOHNSON B.? D.?
      CUSHION and SOUNDEXes - Cousin, Cosin, Cussen, Cusson, Cuzen, Cushing and
      Cushe(o)n, Cousins, Co(u)sens, Co(u)zens, Cosyns, Cossins, Cossons, Cozins,
      Cus(s)ins, Cuzons, Cussens and Cussons.