Protégé talk

  • Seaborne, Andy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2003
      We have Ray Fergerson and Holger Knublauch from the Protégé team at Stanford
      Medical Informatics visiting HPLabs in Bristol on the 6th of May. Ray and
      Holger have offered to give a overview of the Protégé tool.

      Details: date 6 May 2003
      time 10.00 - 11.00
      room HPlabs, Building 3, Makalu

      Please let me know in advance if you would like to attend.

      Cheers,
      Andy

      Introduction to Protege

      Summary
      While Artificial Intelligence is often regarded as an exotic academic
      playground, its tools and techniques have matured to contribute to
      real-world software technology as well. This presentation introduces
      Protege (http://protege.stanford.edu), arguably the most successful
      open-source knowledge modeling platform. Using Protege, developers and
      domain experts can build conceptual models and knowledge bases and access
      them via an easy-to-use Java API. The resulting models can be used to
      implement decision-support systems, to capture software requirements, to
      populate databases, to generate Java classes and UML diagrams, to share and
      reuse domain models, and to access the Semantic Web. We will demonstrate
      some of the features of Protege and present our plans for editing Semantic
      Web (OWL) ontologies with Protege.

      Holger Knublauch holds a PhD in Computer Science and works in the area of
      knowledge modeling and applied AI since 1993. For his thesis, he has
      developed an extension of Java for knowledge modeling, including an
      extensible modeling tool platform. He currently works as a post-doctoral
      research fellow at Stanford Medical Informatics. In this position he is
      responsible for various features of the Protégé platform,
      including the UML back-end and the support for Semantic Web languages like
      the forthcoming W3C standard OWL.

      Ray Fergerson is a programmer in Medical Informatics group at Stanford
      University. He received a B.S. in physics from the Colorado School of Mines
      in 1980 and a Ph.D. in experimental nuclear physics from the University of
      Texas at Austin in 1985. He has written data acquisition and analysis
      software for nuclear physics experiments at national laboratories in the
      United States, Canada, and France. He has also developed systems software
      for astronautics and telecommunications applications. In 1994 he joined the
      Protege project where his primary responsibility is the development and
      extension of the Protege knowledge-based system software infrastructure. He
      designed and developed the core functionality of the Protege/Win and
      Protege-2000 tools.