Patel-Schneider "Building the Semantic Web Tower"

  • Jeremy Carroll
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2002
      Peter F. Patel-Schneider of Bell Labs will be speaking at HP Labs, Bristol
      on 9th October at 1.30 pm.

      The talk will take place in room Bonavista, if coming from outside HP please
      e-mail me so that I can give your name to the gate. In any case, you should
      be able to get in by giving my name at the gate.

      Peter is one of the leading researchers in the Semantic Web community. He is
      a key member of the Web Ontology Working Group. He was awarded the best
      paper prize at the International Semantic Web Conference this summer.

      Jeremy Carroll

      ===========

      Building the Semantic Web Tower

      Peter F. Patel-Schneider
      Bell Labs Research
      pfps@...-labs.com

      The Semantic Web is supposed to be an extension of the World Wide Web where
      the meaning of data is available to and processable by computers. The
      Semantic Web is supposed to be built up of a tower of languages, one level
      building on and extending the previous. However, there are several
      impediments to the realization of this vision. First, meaning in the
      current Semantic Web languages (RDF and RDFS) is not based on meaning in
      the World Wide Web, so there is a discontinuity between the Semantic Web
      and the World Wide Web, preventing information from the World Wide Web from
      being used in the Semantic Web. Second, the current view of RDF and RDFS
      makes the construction of more-powerful layers on top of them difficult at
      best and maybe even impossible. I will discuss these problems, propose
      solutions for parts of them, and lay out some potential solutions for other
      parts.