An event?

  • Daniel Lewis
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2008
      Hi all,

      Would anybody be interested in something like a KnowledgeCamp? In
      otherwords, something a bit like the SemanticCampLondon that Tom Morris
      and I organised in London... but slightly broader than that with things
      like:
      * The Semantic Web (obviously)
      * Topic Maps
      * Information Architecture and Design
      * Knowledge-Based Systems and Rule-Based Systems (etc)
      * Knowledge Visualisation
      * and maybe even, Object Oriented Databases

      I propose this is done in Bristol... not because its where I now live..
      but because Bristol and the surrounding areas seem to be full of various
      people who are interested in representing, manipulating and visualising
      knowledge. I also happen to know a guy who is happy to offer us some
      space for a day or two for an event. We should be able to get this space
      for free, and if we do then we won't need funding unless people want a
      free lunch.

      The event would be pretty informal, probably only a day long during a
      weekend, no invited speakers (in other words the attendees choose
      whether or not to speak). It would be good for those who are just on one
      particular track of knowledge to meet others on a different track, and
      to talk and maybe even learn some stuff.

      Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Or am I just crazy?

      Many thanks,
      Daniel

      ---
      Daniel Lewis
      * Technology Evangelist for OpenLink Software (
      http://www.openlinksw.com/ )
      * Postgraduate Student at the University of Bristol from September 2008
      until 2009 - Machine Learning and Data Mining
      - Blog: http://vanirsystems.com/danielsblog
      - Skype: daniel.lewis
    • Peter Hale
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
        Dear Daniel Lewis

        I would certainly be interested in this, and would go. Also I'll forward this to others at UWE who might be interested. Peter Bloodsworth at UWE is also on this Semantic Web Southwest list and could be interested and letter others know. Of course those from HP Semantic Web labs could be interested.

        Thank you

        Kind regards

        Peter

        Peter Hale
        Room 3P31
        Bristol Institute of Technology (BIT)
        University of the West of England (UWE), Bristol

[...]

        This incoming email to UWE has been independently scanned for viruses by McAfee anti-virus software and none were detected

        This email was independently scanned for viruses by McAfee anti-virus software and none were found

      • aremiti36
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2008
          Hi Daniel

          Thanks to Peter Hale, I've just become aware of this group and a meet
          sounds good - fast though trains are, its still a trek to London, the
          centre of the UK world for so many things.

          As befits a lecturer, I am a mere dabbler in this areas. I teach a bit
          of semantic web, knock up examples in XQuery mainly using DBpedia -
          there are some examples in the Wikibook on XQuery I have been working on

          http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery#The_Semantic_Web

          and am attempting to export the contents of our faculty information
          system as RDF -

          https://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/wiki/index.php/FOLD/RDF#

          I would welcome the opportunity to hat about these and other related
          projects

          Chris Wallace
          Department of Information Science and Digital Media
          UWE bristol
        • Daniel Lewis
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23, 2008
            Hello all on the SemanticWeb-Southwest Group,

            We now have a time and a date for the "Bristol Knowledge Unconference":

            Friday 5th September 2008 : 14:00 – 18:00

            and the Location:

            eOffice Bristol, 1st Floor Prudential Buildings, 11-19 Wine Street Bristol, BS1 2PH.

            A few more bits of information are available at:

            http://vanirsystems.com/danielsblog/2008/07/22/date-set-for-bristol-knowledge-unconference/

            You can sign up for the event at:

            http://knowledgeunconference.eventwax.com/bristol-knowledge-unconference

            I look forward to seeing you there. If you have any questions then please do direct them my way.

            Cheers,

            Daniel

            ---
            Daniel Lewis