SEMANTIC TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE - Call for Papers

  • semantic_conference
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2005
      SEMANTIC TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE
      March 6-9, 2006 * Fairmont Hotel * San Jose, California

      Interested practitioners, developers and researchers are hereby
      invited to present a paper at the second annual SEMANTIC TECHNOLOGY
      Conference, focused on the application of Semantic Technologies to
      Information Systems and the Web. The event will be held on March 6-
      9, 2006 at the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose, California.

      Proposals can be submitted here:

      http://www.semantic-conference.com/STC06/cfp.htm

      Last year's inaugural conference was an enormous success, bringing
      together 300 attendees from around the world. The agenda was
      distinguished by the number of real-life examples of success, and
      practitioners who came to learn how to apply semantics to their
      corporate applications.

      The conference will comprise multiple educational tracks, including
      tutorials, technical sessions and case studies. We are particularly
      seeking presentations on currently implemented applications of
      semantic technology in both the enterprise and internet
      environments. A number of appropriate topic areas are identified
      below. Speakers are invited to offer additional topic areas related
      to the subject of semantic technology if they see fit.

      The conference is designed to maximize cross-fertilization between
      those who are building semantically-based products and those who are
      implementing them. Therefore, we will consider research and/or
      academic treatments, vendor and/or analyst reports on the state of
      the commercial marketplace, and case study presentations from
      developers and corporate users. For some topics we will include
      introductory tutorials.

      The conference is produced by Semantic Arts, Inc. and Wilshire
      Conferences, Inc. Questions regarding speaking opportunities can be
      addressed to Tony Shaw of Wilshire Conferences at (310) 477-4475
      x102, or by email to speaker @ semantic-conference.com

      Sponsorship opportunities are also available for appropriate media
      and vendor organizations. For sponsorship information, please
      contact Rick Froton at 603-305-0660 or email
      rick @ wilshireconferences.com

      AUDIENCE
      =========
      The first conference drew 300 attendees. We expect this to double in
      2006 . The attendees, most of whom were senior and mid-level
      managers, came from a wide range of industries and disciplines.
      About half were new to Semantics and we expect that ratio to be the
      same this year. When you respond indicate whether your presentation
      is appropriate for those new to the field or only to experienced
      practitioners (we're looking for a mix).

      TOPICS
      =======
      The conference program will include papers and/or 50-minute
      presentations and three-hour tutorials on the following topics:

      BUSINESS VOCABULARIES
      Topics should cover methods or approaches to building and/or using
      shared business vocabularies and the role that Semantics plays in
      ensuring that consistent meaning is captured.

      TAXONOMY DEVELOPMENT
      This topic should cover methods and tools for more structured
      organization of data or knowledge. The marketplace should review the
      ontology and taxonomy editors and how this functionality is being
      grafted onto existing products.

      ONTOLOGY ENGINEERING
      Discussions on methodology or approaches to building ontologies.

      SPECIFIC ONTOLOGIES
      We are looking for case reports of the use of specific ontologies,
      such as the Dublin Core, FOAF, RSS, and the many others.

      OWL
      Topics of interest in OWL would include introductory or tutorial
      coverage, as well as more advanced usage. We are also interested in
      case reports.

      RDF
      Recent developments in RDF, including use of RDF facilities in
      commercial products.

      RELATIONAL TO SEMANTIC MAPPING
      Experience with mapping relational schemas to semantic models.

      INTEGRATION OF STANDARDS
      Most of the topics in this presentation deal with standards. Under
      this heading we are looking for the integration of specific
      standards, especially those dealing with reference data such as ISO
      11179, ISO 3166, FIPS and the like.

      SEMANTIC MODELING
      Current practices in semantic conceptual modeling. Case studies to
      describe how semantic modeling led to superior solutions. Topics
      might examine how commercial products and modeling techniques can
      support Semantic Modeling (from Protégé to UML or ERWIN).

      SEMANTIC BROKERS
      Use of Semantic Brokers to achieve Enterprise Application
      Integration. We are specifically looking for case studies and
      comparison of vendor products in this area.

      OWL-S
      OWL-S is the OWL-based web services ontology. We'd be interested in
      implementation experience or reports from the standards groups.

      WSMO
      Web Service Modeling Ontology (WSMO) is a proposed ontology for
      describing web services. We'd be interested in implementation
      experience or reports from the standards groups.

      WSDL-S
      WSDL-S is an extension to the Web Services Description Language. As
      this is a relatively new standard, we wouldn't expect experience
      reports, but a description and/or discussion of the standard and how
      it fits with other standards would be well received.

      SEMANTIC QUERIES
      Talks in this section will focus on emerging query languages that
      operate at a semantic model level. Distributed and/or agent-based
      technologies could be discussed.

      OWL and RDF FOR INTERNAL USE
      The Web Ontology Language (OWL) is the W3C standard for
      representation of Semantics on the Web. It is the direct successor
      to RDF (and DAML+OIL). Presentations in this section should focus on
      the application of these technologies to internal systems, which
      many companies have been working on for some time.

      THE SEMANTIC WEB
      We will be looking for a number of presentations on this topic.
      Presentations can focus on external or Web-based application of the
      semantic web technologies, as well as internal corporate/enterprise
      apps. We are looking for presentations to explain the underlying
      technologies, demonstrations of existing products and Case Studies
      of Web-based companies using these technologies.

      UNSTRUCTURED DATA
      This topic will focus on the use of semantic based technologies to
      extract meaning and structure from unstructured data, such as email
      or unstructured text.

      BUSINESS RULES
      We are looking for presentations that present either an ontology of
      business rules (a formal, structured decomposition of type of rules
      that can be instantiated in a given framework) or case studies of
      methodologies covering experience using a domain ontology for the
      expression of Business Rules.

      META DATA
      Many of the other topics deal with Semantics from a Meta Data angle.
      This topic is for meta data solutions that are in some way inspired
      by Semantics, without being covered already in the other topics.

      SEMANTIC SEARCH
      This topic is for the application of Semantics to search technology.
      We are looking for case studies from existing search sites, research
      into applying Semantics to deepen search results and analysis of the
      current state of the market for search. Also enterprise search
      technologies.

      UPPER MODELS
      Topics in this section should discuss progress with and use of any
      of the various proposed "upper ontologies" including Cyc, SUMO,
      WordNet, UBL, RossettaNet or others.

      KNOWLEDGE REPRESENTATION
      There is of course a great deal of overlap between Semantic
      Technology and Knowledge Management. In this topic we're looking for
      Knowledge Management products or projects that have specifically
      benefited from the application of semantic technologies.

      XML
      We're interested in topics that discuss the relationship of XML to
      Semantics, including but not limited to: naming conventions for XML,
      RDF expression in XML, XML based on semantic design.

      DATA WAREHOUSING/BI
      Semantic technologies are being used to correlate data from diverse
      sources into a common data repository. We're looking for case
      studies, vendor products that use semantics, and any research in the
      area of applying semantics to the population or querying of data
      warehouses.

      OTHER
      You are welcome to suggest other topic areas.

      Proposal Submissions - due September 12, 2005
      All proposals must be submitted via the Call for Papers forms here:
      http://www.semantic-conference.com/STC06/cfp.htm

      KEY DATES & SPEAKER DEADLINES
      =============================
      September 12 Presentation proposals due
      September 28 Speakers notified of selection
      January 28, 2006 Speaker PowerPoint files due

      PRESENTATION GUIDELINES
      =======================
      Tutorials
      The first day will be several tracks of half day tutorials. If you
      submit a tutorial presentation, plan for three hours of material.
      There will be a half hour break in the middle of each tutorial.

      Conference Presentations
      Each conference presentation will be 50 minutes in length.
      Presentations must not be sales presentations for vendor products.
      Where vendors have done something unique in the field they are
      encouraged to describe this and how it can impact the participants
      whether or not they implement the vendor's product.

      PowerPoint slides must be provided for each presentation. Copyright
      remains with the author/speaker, however certain usage rights are
      granted to the conference organizers. Full details of usage rights
      can be viewed during the submission process.

      Presentations due January 28, 2006
      The conference proceedings will be published on CD-ROM. In order for
      a paper to be included in the proceedings the final paper must be
      made available by January 28, 2006.

      Honorarium
      One speaker for each selected topic will be given a free pass to the
      conference as well as a $300 honorarium. Additional speakers may be
      nominated for any session, however the additional speakers must
      register and pay for their conference attendance (additional
      registration will be at 50% reduced rates and must be completed
      prior to the start of the conference). Travel expenses will not be
      provided.

      Honorarium for Tutorials will be $600.

      Questions and Inquiries
      All questions and inquiries about speaking at the conference may be
      directed to:
      speaker @ semantic-conference.com

      Download the white paper, "The CIO's Guide to Semantics" HERE
      www.semantic-conference.com

      Submit proposals HERE
      http://www.semantic-conference.com/cfmfiles/stc06/cfp1.cfm

      Wilshire Conferences, Inc.