starting from scratch

  • toddgodwinsan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
      hello guys,

      this is Todd Godwin, a participant in the Greek study groups. It's
      funny how I continuously run across Paul and Charlie n these list.
      what a very small and big world we live in. I am interested in
      learning Hebrew, but living in Saudi Arabia I cannot just go out and
      grab a Hebrew gramamar from the local book store. It does not seem you
      guys do any work with beginners, but is there a chance something could
      be arranged here or could you recommend something? I have learned a
      couple of semitic languages and could probably come up to speed fairly
      quickly, but ideally I would need an online book and some people
      willing to do some exercises with me. I realize this is alot to ask,
      but you guys are a resourceful buch.

      thanks, TG
    • Berel Beyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
        Hello Todd!

        I did a quick search on Google books and there seems to be not a small
        number of introductory Hebrew grammars from the 19th and early 20th
        centuries available for download. From my (extremely!) cursory
        search, this one looks promising:

        An Introductory Hebrew Grammar: With Progressive Exercises in Reading
        and Writing
        By Andrew Bruce Davidson
        Published by Clark, 1901
        http://books.google.com/books?id=UhUUAAAAYAAJ&printsec=titlepage&dq=hebrew+grammar+introductory&as_brr=1

        Now, my guess is a book from this period might be fine for you, since
        you're no stranger to the grammatical lingo, etc., they're apt to
        use. I'd guess, though, that this might not be the case for others on
        this list so forming a group using it might be difficult (thought, of
        course, I could be wrong!). One of the standard beginner's text this
        list has used is Weingreen. It was written to be a simpler
        alternative to these texts, and (in my opinion) it's still not nearly
        as measured or well-paced in presentation of material as corresponding
        Greek primers (e.g. John William White) written during the same period
        (they were written for different audiences after all: the Greek
        primers for school boys, but Weingreen for beginning *university*
        students!).

        If you receive any good leads off list, please share them with us!

        Talk to you later (I should be collating Greek at this moment!).

        Berel

        > hello guys,
        >
        > this is Todd Godwin, a participant in the Greek study groups. It's
        > funny how I continuously run across Paul and Charlie n these list.
        > what a very small and big world we live in. I am interested in
        > learning Hebrew, but living in Saudi Arabia I cannot just go out and
        > grab a Hebrew gramamar from the local book store. It does not seem you
        > guys do any work with beginners, but is there a chance something could
        > be arranged here or could you recommend something? I have learned a
        > couple of semitic languages and could probably come up to speed fairly
        > quickly, but ideally I would need an online book and some people
        > willing to do some exercises with me. I realize this is alot to ask,
        > but you guys are a resourceful buch.
        >
        > thanks, TG

      • goauldstink
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
          --- In selfstudyhebrew@yahoogroups.com, "toddgodwinsan"
          <toddgodwin@...> wrote:

          > hello guys,
          >
          > this is Todd Godwin, a participant in the Greek study groups. It's
          > funny how I continuously run across Paul and Charlie n these list.
          > what a very small and big world we live in. I am interested in
          > learning Hebrew, but living in Saudi Arabia I cannot just go out
          and
          > grab a Hebrew gramamar from the local book store. It does not seem
          you
          > guys do any work with beginners, but is there a chance something
          could
          > be arranged here or could you recommend something? I have learned
          > couple of semitic languages and could probably come up to speed
          fairly
          > quickly, but ideally I would need an online book and some people
          > willing to do some exercises with me. I realize this is alot to
          ask,
          > but you guys are a resourceful buch.
          >
          > thanks, TG
          > Yasou Todd. I would suggest looking at omniglot.com to start with.
          They have some really great inroductory courses available on line and
          links to a lot of resources. In all sincerity, hope you keep your
          studies to yourself while you are there. You can figure that out
          though. You will find that there is a recognizable/identical core
          vocabulary of at least 500 everyday words between Arabic and Hebrew.
          Ancient Hebrew and ancient Arabic were a lot closer in grammar,
          vocabulary and pronunciation. Aramaic/Syriac is the missing link.
          HatslaKHA! Success!
        • Berel Beyer
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
            Oops ... I just realized that I *assumed* you meant biblical/classical
            Hebrew! If that's not the case, of course, please disregard the
            below! There are *lots* of good resources online for learning modern
            Hebrew (though no textbooks per se that I know of). Let me know if you
            want links, etc.

            > Hello Todd!
            >
            > I did a quick search on Google books and there seems to be not a
            small
            > number of introductory Hebrew grammars from the 19th and early 20th
            > centuries available for download. From my (extremely!) cursory
            > search, this one looks promising:
            >
            > An Introductory Hebrew Grammar: With Progressive Exercises in
            Reading
            > and Writing
            > By Andrew Bruce Davidson
            > Published by Clark, 1901
            > http://books.google.com/books?
            id=UhUUAAAAYAAJ&printsec=titlepage&dq=hebrew+grammar+introductory&as_b
            rr=1

            > Now, my guess is a book from this period might be fine for you,
            since
            > you're no stranger to the grammatical lingo, etc., they're apt to
            > use. I'd guess, though, that this might not be the case for others
            on
            > this list so forming a group using it might be difficult (thought,
            of
            > course, I could be wrong!). One of the standard beginner's text
            this
            > list has used is Weingreen. It was written to be a simpler
            > alternative to these texts, and (in my opinion) it's still not
            nearly
            > as measured or well-paced in presentation of material as
            corresponding
            > Greek primers (e.g. John William White) written during the same
            period
            > (they were written for different audiences after all: the Greek
            > primers for school boys, but Weingreen for beginning *university*
            > students!).
            >
            > If you receive any good leads off list, please share them with us!
            >
            > Talk to you later (I should be collating Greek at this moment!).
            >
            > Berel
            >
            > > hello guys,
            > >
            > > this is Todd Godwin, a participant in the Greek study groups. It's
            > > funny how I continuously run across Paul and Charlie n these list.
            > > what a very small and big world we live in. I am interested in
            > > learning Hebrew, but living in Saudi Arabia I cannot just go out
            and
            > > grab a Hebrew gramamar from the local book store. It does not seem
            you
            > > guys do any work with beginners, but is there a chance something
            could
            > > be arranged here or could you recommend something? I have learned
            > > couple of semitic languages and could probably come up to speed
            fairly
            > > quickly, but ideally I would need an online book and some people
            > > willing to do some exercises with me. I realize this is alot to
            ask,
            > > but you guys are a resourceful buch.
            > >
            > > thanks, TG

          • Berel Beyer
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
              > in all sincerity, hope you keep your
              > studies to yourself while you are there.

              Sadly, in not a small number of neighborhoods in Europe, too! A woman
              was attacked in Berlin last year for the crime of speaking Hebrew on
              her cell phone!