Re: [selfstudyhebrew] Re: SV: Yahoo & reading Hebrew. Are vowel signs only via DavkaWrite

  • Jason Hare
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2008
      The new version of Times New Roman, Arial, and Courier New all have
      fixed this bug, as well as the Tahoma font. It's not an issue at all
      anymore. Due to copyright infringement, however, it cannot be freely
      distributed. UGH

      David has good spacing with the holam, but both David and Narkisim have
      a funny placement for the Makef sign. Can't have it all, can we?? LOL

      Jason Hare
      Rehovot, Israel

      Brian Beckman wrote:

      > And don't forget that most of the standard fonts have spacing bugs for
      > holam
      > (the "o" overdot. So a word as simple as lo = "lamed holam alef" will look
      > really spread out, bad, and difficult to read fluidly.
      >
      > Narkisim is the only standard font I'm aware of that spaces holam
      > correctly.
      >
      > When I am forced to use vowels with fonts other than Narkisim, I just skip
      > holam because the entire text is worse with it.

    • Terri
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2008
        Collation of Ivrit G1 Unit 6 story 1 part 1

        Next assignment: Ivrit Shalav Gimmel pg 147 Story 6-1 part 2 translate into English
        (lines 33-88)

        Due Next week: Tuesday, April 8
        Send to: Terri Irmiter mail2terri@...

        Upcoming Schedule:
        Tuesday Apr 08 pg 147 Story 6-1 (2)Trans-Eng
        Tuesday Apr 15 pg 160 Trans-Heb 9 sentences
        Tuesday Apr 22 Pesach Break
        Tuesday Apr 29 pg 163 Story 6-2 Trans-Eng

        # BT Bill
        # DD Dana
        # RBV Regina

        ENG 1 BT Abed-El-Hadey
        ENG 1 DD Abed-El-Hadii
        ENG 1 RBV Abadi el Hadie

        ENG 2 BT Aleph (part 1)
        ENG 2 DD Aleph
        ENG 2 RBV 1

        ENG 3 BT The small village of Abed-El-Hadey was then in Judeah
        ENG 3 DD The small village of Abed-El-Hadii was in the mountains of
        Judah.
        ENG 3 RBV The small village of Abadi el Hadie was on the mountains
        of Judea.

        ENG 4 BT Around the Arab village were high mountains that hid the
        village from the eyes of the world.
        ENG 4 DD The arabs were surrounded by tall mountains in the village
        that were closed off from the rest of the world.
        ENG 4 RBV Around the Arab village we high mountains which enclosed
        the village from the eyes of the world.

        ENG 5 BT Years passed and no strange person came to the village
        because it was not on a main Highway.
        ENG 5 DD Years passed and not a single stranger came to the village
        because it was far from the main highway.
        ENG 5 RBV Years passed and a strange man came to the village because
        he was far from the kings road.

        ENG 6 BT In the village they did not know what was happening in the
        world.
        ENG 6 DD In the village no one knew what was happening in the
        world.
        ENG 6 RBV In the village they did not know what happens in the
        world.

        ENG 7 BT In the village they speak and tell about Ibraheem Pasha a
        hero of the war.
        ENG 7 DD In the village they spoke and talked about Ibrahim Pasha,
        a war hero.
        ENG 7 RBV In the village they spoke and they told about Avraham
        Pasha, a hero of the war.

        ENG 8 BT The old ones would tell about the heroism of Ibraheem
        Pasha and all the young boys would sit and listen to the
        stories.
        ENG 8 DD The elders would discuss the heroics of Ibrahim Pasha, and
        every youngster would sit and listen to the stories.
        ENG 8 RBV The old people used to tell about the heroism of Avraham
        Pasha, and every boy and lad used to sit and learn the
        stories.

        ENG 9 BT At first the stories were told by the Father of Abed-El
        --Hadey.
        ENG 9 DD The lead storyteller was the father of Abed-El-Haddi.
        ENG 9 RBV The chief of the story tellers was the father of Abadi el
        Hadie.

        ENG 10 BT There the Father was forgivable.( סָלִיחַ
        ENG 10 DD The fathers name was Saliach.
        ENG 10 RBV The name of the father was Saleach.

        ENG 11 BT He was the power of Ibreheem Pasha and went to remote
        places with him.: Until Akko to Mt Hermon and even to
        Damascus.
        ENG 11 DD He was a soldier of Ibrahim Pasha and went with him to far
        off places: Up to Acco, Mount Hermon, and even Damascus.
        ENG 11 RBV He was a soldier of Avraham Pasha, and went with him to
        far away places: to Akko, to Mt. Herman and even to
        Damascus.

        ENG 12 BT Forgivness(סָלִיחַ ) was a story of the mare of
        Ibraheem Pasha, that was in all the wars.
        ENG 12 DD Saliach used to talk about the mare of Ibrahim Pasha, that
        was in all of the wars.
        ENG 12 RBV Saleach was telling about the mare of Avraham Pasha who
        was in all the wars.

        ENG 13 BT "Even one bullet did not hurt her" said
        forgivness.(סָלִיחַ)
        ENG 13 DD Even one bullet could not strike her, said Saliach.
        ENG 13 RBV "No even one bullet struck in her," said Saleach.

        ENG 14 BT This mare was a marvel.
        ENG 14 DD This mare was a wonder.
        ENG 14 RBV This mare was a wonder.

        ENG 15 BT And forgivness (סָלִיחַ) was also a story about the
        rifle of Ibraheem Pasha.
        ENG 15 DD Saliach used to talk about the rifle of Ibrahim Pasha.
        ENG 15 RBV And Saleach was also telling about the rifle of Avraham
        Pasha.

        ENG 16 BT This rifle would shoot bullits without end ,and the
        bullits always hit the target.
        ENG 16 DD This rifle could shoot bullets without end, and the
        bullets always struck thier target.
        ENG 16 RBV This rifle shot bullets without an end, and the bullets
        always struck in the target.

        ENG 17 BT Also forgivness (סָלִיחַ) had a rifle that he
        received when he was a companion of Ibraheem Pasha.
        ENG 17 DD Saliach also had a rifle that he received when he was a
        soldier of Ibrahim Pasha.
        ENG 17 RBV Seleach also had a rifle which he received because he wa a
        soldier of Avraham Pasha.

        ENG 18 BT Forgivness(סָלִיחַ) used to say"my rifle is also
        good like the rifle of Ibraheem Pasha".
        ENG 18 DD Saliach used to say "My rifle is also good, just like the
        rifle of Ibrahim Pasha.
        ENG 18 RBV Saleach used to say, :my rifle is good also like the rifle
        of Avraham Pasha.

        ENG 19 BT All the people of the village ,young and old heard
        forgivness (סָלִיחַ) story, but each time the stories
        were like new.
        ENG 19 DD All the village people, young and old, listened to
        Saliachs stories, but each time the stories were like new.
        ENG 19 RBV All the people of the village, yhoung and old, heard the
        Saleach's stories, but every time the stories were like new.

        ENG 20 BT Abed-El-Hadey was also son of (סָלִיחַ) forgivness
        was listening and dreamed about Ibraheem Pasha.
        ENG 20 DD also, Abed-El-Hadii, son of Saliach, used to listen and
        dream of Ibrahim Pasha.
        ENG 20 RBV Also Abadi el Hadie, son of Saleach, used to watch and
        dream about Avraham Pasha.

        ENG 21 BT Bet (2)
        ENG 21 DD Bet
        ENG 21 RBV 2

        ENG 22 BT When (סָךִיחַ) forgivness died Aded-El-Hadey
        received his rifle.
        ENG 22 DD When Saliach died, Abed-El-Hadii received his rifle.
        ENG 22 RBV When Saleach died, Abadi el Hadie received his rifle.

        ENG 23 BT All the young boys envied him because there was not a
        rifle like his in all the villages.
        ENG 23 DD All of the young people were envious of him, because there
        wasn't a rifle like it in all of the village.
        ENG 23 RBV All the young envied him because there wasn't a rifle like
        this in the villages.

        ENG 24 BT Abed-El-Hadey grew , took a wife and had a family.
        ENG 24 DD Abed-El-Hadii grew, took a wife, and had a family.
        ENG 24 RBV Abadi el Hadie grew, took a wife and was his family.

        ENG 25 BT But everyone knew that Abed-El Hadey loved his rifle more
        than his wife and his sons.
        ENG 25 DD But everyone knew that Abed-El-Hadii loved his rifle more
        than his wife, and his sons.
        ENG 25 RBV But they always knew that father of Abadi el Hadi loved
        his rifle more than his wife, more than his son.

        ENG 26 BT In the fields of the village lived a Hyena and all the
        people were afraid of her.
        ENG 26 DD Within the village fields there was a hyena, and everyone
        was afraid of it.
        ENG 26 RBV In the fields of the village there was a hyena and every
        one was happy with her.

        ENG 27 BT Many people shoot it, but did not hurt it.
        ENG 27 DD Many men shot at it, but couldn't strike it.
        ENG 27 RBV Many people shot at her but no one hurt her.

        ENG 28 BT In the village it was told that it was not a beast, but
        was an evil spirit.
        ENG 28 DD In the village they said that the hyena was not a wild
        animal; the hyena was an evil spirit.
        ENG 28 RBV In the village they told that the hyena was not a beast,
        the hyena was an evil spirit.

        ENG 29 BT People in the village feared to go out in the night.
        ENG 29 DD The people of the village feared going out at night.
        ENG 29 RBV People of the village were afraid to go out at night.

        ENG 30 BT One night Aben-El-Hadey took his rifle and went out with
        his friends to the fields.
        ENG 30 DD One night Abed-El-Hadii took his rifle and went out with
        his friends to the field.
        ENG 30 RBV One night Abadi el Hadi took his rifle and went out with
        his friends to the field.

        ENG 31 BT The Hyena came and Abed-El-Hadey shot one shot and the
        shot (hurt) killed the Hyena.
        ENG 31 DD The hyena came and Abed-El-Hadii shot one bullet, and the
        bullet struck.
        ENG 31 RBV The hyena came and Abadi el Hadi shot one bullet and the
        hyena was struck.

        ENG 32 BT Then everyone knew that the rifle of Abed-El-Hadey it was
        an amazing rifle.
        ENG 32 DD Than everyone knew that the rifle of Abed-El-Hadii was
        really a wonder rifle.
        ENG 32 RBV All of them knew that Adabi el Hadi's rifle was a
        wonderful rifle.