Possible phone/SKYPE use

  • Terri
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
      Does anyone know if you have to have high speed internet to use skype? At
      this time, we don't have high speed.

      Terri
    • bohemianscribe
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2008
        I'm not absolutely sure, but, I believe so.

        Eliana

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 2 Mar 2008, at 11:08, "Terri" <mail2terri@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know if you have to have high speed internet to use
        > skype? At
        > this time, we don't have high speed.
        >
        > Terri

      • svens_dotter1873
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2008
          > Does anyone know if you have to have high speed internet to use
          skype? At this time, we don't have high speed.

          When I used Yahoo Messenger, the lack of DSL (i.e. I had dial-up)
          meant I could hear the other person typing (in this case, from Finland
          to Miami), but our attempted conversation came across the phone line
          as a garble of too-slow syllables. It was impossible to talk, but we
          could send type instantly.

          I'm guessing the same thing applies to Skype. Fortunately for Miami,
          DSL "lite" has now become $20 monthly, which is the same price
          BellSouth used to charge for dial-up (with them as ISP).

          shekadia
        • Terri
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 4, 2008
            Thanks for the answers to this question. I guess until we get high speed
            internet, I won't be able to participate in the "live" chats.

            Terri
          • svens_dotter1873
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 4, 2008
              Terri wrote:

              > I guess until we get high speed internet, I won't be able to
              participate in the "live" chats.

              Skype allows 2 people to chat (as though it were a phone call), but to
              my (limited) knowledge there isn't availability of a "party line" (3
              or more people on the same connection simultaneously).

              What Skype offers, which phone does not, is the assurance you won't be
              waking someone up when they're getting precious sleep (especially
              given how varied our work/school schedules can be), interrupting
              someone's allotted dinner time, catching them when they're about to
              fetch laundry, whatever. Same result as phone, but without the
              guesswork of if it's an "okay" time or not.

              When I had Yahoo messenger, I could see who was "online," but could
              not see whether they were already engaged in chatting or not (i.e.
              whether I could "ring" them or not without getting the
              response, "Sorry -- call already in progress...).

              shekadia
            • Terri
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 4, 2008
                Collation of Ivrit G1 Unit 5 story 2 pg 137

                Next assignment: Ivrit Shalav Gimmel pg 142, Unit 5 story 3

                Due Next week: Tuesday, March 11
                Send to: Terri Irmiter mail2terri@...

                Upcoming Schedule:
                Tuesday Mar 11 pg 142 Story 5-3 Trans-Eng
                Tuesday Mar 18 pg 143 Story 5-4 Trans-Eng
                Tuesday Mar 25 Easter Break

                # BT Bill
                # DD Dana
                # RBV Regina

                ENG 1 BT A young girl comes to a travel agency.
                ENG 1 DD A Teenage Girl Comes to the Travel Agency
                ENG 1 RBV A Girl Comes to a Travel Agency

                ENG 2 BT Dialogue.
                ENG 2 DD Dialog
                ENG 2 RBV Dialogue

                ENG 3 BT Hello mister, I want to travel to Israel by way of Europe.
                ENG 3 DD Shalom Sir, I want to travel to Israel by way of Europe.
                ENG 3 RBV Hello sir, I want to travel to Israel by way of Europe.

                ENG 4 BT Where do you want to travel in Europe?
                ENG 4 DD Where do you want to travel in Europe?
                ENG 4 RBV Where do you want to travel in Europe?

                ENG 5 BT I don't know.
                ENG 5 DD I dont know.
                ENG 5 RBV I do not know.

                ENG 6 BT Perhaps you want to travel to England.
                ENG 6 DD Maybe you want to travel to England.
                ENG 6 RBV Perhaps you want to fly to England?

                ENG 7 BT No Sir:I was examined there last year and I don't want to
                return this year.
                ENG 7 DD No sir, two years ago I visited England, and I dont want
                to return there this year.
                ENG 7 RBV No sir, I visited England two years ago and I do not want
                to return there this year.

                ENG 8 BT So therefore perhaps you will want to travel to France.
                ENG 8 DD Since that is so, perhaps you want to travel to France.
                ENG 8 RBV If so, perhaps you will want to travel to France.

                ENG 9 BT No I don't speak French.
                ENG 9 DD No, I dont speak french.
                ENG 9 RBV No, I do not speak French.

                ENG 10 BT I only know how to sing French songs.
                ENG 10 DD I only know how to sing french songs.
                ENG 10 RBV I only know how to sing French songs.

                ENG 11 BT Maybe you want to travel to Italy for two weeks and fly to
                Israel from there.
                ENG 11 DD Maybe you want to travel to Italy, for two weeks and from
                there you can fly to Israel?
                ENG 11 RBV Perhaps you want to travel to Italy for two weeks and from
                there you will fly to Israel?

                ENG 12 BT Wonderful.
                ENG 12 DD Excellent.
                ENG 12 RBV Wonderful,

                ENG 13 BT I love Italian food.
                ENG 13 DD I love Italian food.
                ENG 13 RBV I like Italian food.

                ENG 14 BT At 7:00 A.M. I will fly from New York on an AL-EL
                airplane, and arrive in Italy at 10:00 that night.
                ENG 14 DD At seven in the morning you will fly from New York on the
                airplane "El-Al", and you will come to Italy at ten oclock
                at night.
                ENG 14 RBV At seven in the morning I will fly from New York by plane
                "El-Al" and I will come to Italy at ten at night.

                ENG 15 BT At what hour is there a flight to Israel?
                ENG 15 DD What time is there a plane for Israel?
                ENG 15 RBV At which hour is there a plane to Israel?

                ENG 16 BT At Seven in the morning.
                ENG 16 DD At seven in the morning.
                ENG 16 RBV At seven in the morning.

                ENG 17 BT But I don't get up before 8:00 in the morning.
                ENG 17 DD But I dont get up before eight in the morning.
                ENG 17 RBV But I do not get up before eight in the morning.

                ENG 18 BT If you don't get up you will not fly.
                ENG 18 DD If you will not get up, you will not fly!
                ENG 18 RBV If do not get up, I wont fly.!
              • Jason Hare
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Shekadia,

                  Skype has a feature for conference calling. I would like to try it, but
                  I haven't had the opportunity yet. I think it will allow for multiple
                  people to talk via voice, just like a conference call on the telephone.
                  We should work out a time to try this for the first time. I guess I
                  could call your home and then call Dana at the same time on her
                  computer. Do you want to aim for Sunday night?

                  Yours,
                  Jason

                  svens_dotter1873 wrote:

                  > Terri wrote:
                  >
                  > > I guess until we get high speed internet, I won't be able to
                  > participate in the "live" chats.
                  >
                  > Skype allows 2 people to chat (as though it were a phone call), but to
                  > my (limited) knowledge there isn't availability of a "party line" (3
                  > or more people on the same connection simultaneously).
                  >
                  > What Skype offers, which phone does not, is the assurance you won't be
                  > waking someone up when they're getting precious sleep (especially
                  > given how varied our work/school schedules can be), interrupting
                  > someone's allotted dinner time, catching them when they're about to
                  > fetch laundry, whatever. Same result as phone, but without the
                  > guesswork of if it's an "okay" time or not.
                  >
                  > When I had Yahoo messenger, I could see who was "online," but could
                  > not see whether they were already engaged in chatting or not (i.e.
                  > whether I could "ring" them or not without getting the
                  > response, "Sorry -- call already in progress...).
                  >
                  > shekadia

                • svens_dotter1873
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 9, 2008
                    Jason wrote:

                    > Skype has a feature for conference calling.
                    > We should work out a time to try this for the first time. I guess I
                    could call your home and then call Dana at the same time on her
                    computer. Do you want to aim for Sunday night?

                    I've already responded to Jason offline. Thickening the plot is that,
                    as of today, Florida is 1hr ahead (Daylight Savings Time). Arizona
                    and Hawaii stay put, timewise.

                    Jason: when is Israel scheduled to switch to Daylight Savings? As it
                    is, the usual time good for reaching you is now 4:30pm EDT/1:30pm MST
                    (um, that *is* Arizona, no?).

                    shekadia
                  • dana damiani
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 9, 2008
                      Shekadia, Arizona remains the same (no change) mountain time. so currently it is now a little after one.
                      Dana