Dictionary entry for asher w/ examples from Tanach

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 7:08 AM
      Hi friends,

      Does anyone have a the text (or image file) of the dictionary entry
      for אשר [asher - the relative/conjunction] that has one illustrative
      example from Tanach for each usage *written out* (either in Hebrew or
      transliteration)? It must be suitable for a beginner, so I'd imagine
      BDB or Even-Shoshan would be too long and involved.

      If no one has anything, I'm going to scan the entry from Holladay and
      insert the text to the examples he cites. Was hoping someone might
      have it already, though.

      Thanks in advance! Shabbat Shalom!

      Berel
    • George F Somsel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 7:26 AM
        Am I correct in assuming that you are referring to the relative?

        george
        gfsomsel
        � search for truth, hear truth,
        defend the truth till death.

        - Jan Hus
        _________

        Does anyone have a the text (or image file) of the dictionary entry

        for ��� [asher - the relative/conjunctio n] that has one illustrative

        example from Tanach for each usage *written out* (either in Hebrew or

        transliteration) ? It must be suitable for a beginner, so I'd imagine

        BDB or Even-Shoshan would be too long and involved.

        If no one has anything, I'm going to scan the entry from Holladay and

        insert the text to the examples he cites. Was hoping someone might

        have it already, though.

        Thanks in advance! Shabbat Shalom!

        Berel

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • George F Somsel
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1 7:34 AM
          This is SUPPOSED to already be abridged. Nevertheless, I think it is probably longer than you want. I don't see that it is appreciably shorter than the full entry.

          אֲשֶׁר. It is followed by the pron. in the nomin., in the foll. cases: (a) immediately, mostly before an adj. or ptcp.; before a vb. (b) in a negative sentence, at the end. 3. sometimes (though rarely) the defining adjunct is a pron. of 1 or 2 ps. as well as of 3 ps. In such cases it is strictly to be rendered I who …, thou who …, etc.; אֲשֶׁר־בְּךָ יְרֻחַם יָתוֹם thou by whom the fatherless is compassionated! 4. the defining pron. adjunct is dispenced with — a. when אֲשֶׁר represents the simple subj. of a sentence, or the direct obj. of a vb.: so constantly, as the work אֲשֶׁר עָשָׂה which he made, the tree אֲשֶׁר בְּתוֹךְ הַגָּן which is in the midst of the garden, etc. b. after words denoting time, place, or manner, so that אֲשֶׁר then becomes equivalent to when, where, why: (α) אַחֲרִי־כֵן אֲשֶׁר afterwards, when, etc. there are still 5 years
          אֲשֶׁר אֵין חָרִישׁ when there shall be no plowing. (β) בַּמָּקוֹם אֲשֶׁר דִּבֶּר אִתּוֹ in the place where he spake with him. So (γ) in אֶל אֲשֶׁר to (the place) which (or whither); בְּכֹל אֲשֶׁר wheresoever. (δ) …זֶה הַדָּבָר אֲשֶׁר this is the reason that or why. c. more extreme instances (wherewith), (wherein), (about whom). d. it is dispensed with only in appearance after (ˊאָמַרְתִּי וג‍) אֲשֶׁר אָמַר followed by the words used, its place being really taken by a pron. in the speech which follows, as the tree as to which I commanded thee saying, Thou shalt not eat from it. 5. אֲשֶׁר sts. in poet. = one who, a man who (men who). 6. אֲשֶׁר occas. receives its closer definition by a subst. following it, in other words, its logical antecedent is inserted in the rel. clause: (a) in the phrase peculiar to Je., ˊאֶל יר‍
          ˊאֲשֶׁר הָיָה דְבַר י‍ that which came (of) the word of ˊי‍ to Je. (b) לְכֹל אֲשֶׁר־יִמָּצֵא שָׁם בָּדֶק. 7. ˊאֲשֶׁר ל‍ that (belongs, belong, belonged) to, is used a. either alone or preceded by כָּל־ to express (all) that (belongs) to. b. as a circumlocution of the genitive, as עִם־הַצֹּאן אֲשֶׁר לְאָבִיהָ with the sheep that were her fathers; and esp. in the case of a compound expression depending on a single genit., as מִרְכֶּבֶת הַמִּשְׁנֶה אֲשֶׁר־לוֹ the chariot of the second rank which he had. c. with names of places (esp. such as do not readily admit the st. cstr.) הַגִּבעָה אֲשֶׁר לְבִנְיָמִן Gibeah (the hill) of Benjamin. 8. אֲשֶׁר becomes a conj. aproximating in usage to כִּי: thus a. that, subordinating an entire sentence to a verb of knowing, remembering, etc. (α) with אֵת
          forget not אֵת אֲשֶׁר הִקְצַפְתָּ the fact that (how) thou provokedst. Of time (peculiarly) עַתָּה אֲשֶׁר now (is it) that … (β) without אֵת (not very common, כִּי being usually employed): after יָדַע, רָאָה, הִתְוַדָּה to confess, הִשְׁבִּיעַ (caused to swear that …); after a noun הָאוֹת אֲשֶׁר the sign that …: with growing frequency in late Hebrew. (γ) prefixed to a direct citation, like כִּי q.v. (rare). b. it is resolvable into so that: אֲשֶׁר לֹא יִשְׁמְעוּ so that they understand not, etc., אֲשֶׁר יֵאָמֵר so that it is said. c. it has causal force, forasmuch as, in that, since: and Mizpah, אֲשֶׁר אָמַר for that he said, we are guilty, אֲשֶׁר רָאִינוּ we who saw (or, in that we saw). Here also belongs its use in אֲשֶׁר לָמָּה since why …? (= lest). On אֲשֶׁר עַל כֵּן
          forasmuch as v. sub כִּי עַל כֵּן. d. it expresses a condition (rare & peculiar): אֲשֶׁר נָשִׂיא יֱחֶטָא in (case) that = when (or if) a ruler sinneth, and the blessing אֲשֶׁר תִּשְׁמְעוּ if ye hearken. אֲשֶׁר may be rendered indiffertly because or when. f. combined with preps., אֲשֶׁר converts them into conjunctions: see below, בַּאֲשֶׁר, כַּאֲשֶׁר, מֵאֲשֶׁר. On its use similarly with אַחַר (אַחֲרֵי), מִבְּלִי, בַּעֲבוּר, עַל דְּבַר, יַעַן, לְמַעַן, כְּפִי, עַד, עַל, עֵקֶב, מִפְּנֵי, תַּחַת, see these words. — הַאֲשֶׁר, with ה interrog., occurs once. Note 1. אֲשֶׁר being a connecting link, without any perfectly corresponding equivalent in Engl., its force is not unfreq. capable of being represented in more than one way. Note 2. The opinion that אֲשֶׁר has an
          asseverative force (like כִּי, q.v.), or introduces the apodosis, is not prob., being both alien to its general usage & not required by the passages alleged.

          Whitaker, R., Brown, F., Driver, S. (. R., & Briggs, C. A. (. A. (1997, c1906). The Abridged Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew-English Lexicon of the Old Testament : From A Hebrew and English Lexicon of the Old Testament by Francis Brown, S.R. Driver and Charles Briggs, based on the lexicon of Wilhelm Gesenius. Edited by Richard Whitaker (Princeton Theological Seminary). Text provided by Princeton Theological Seminary. (82.1-84.1). Oak Harbor WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc.

          george
          gfsomsel
          … search for truth, hear truth,
          defend the truth till death.