what to do during/after Shalav gimmel text

  • svens_dotter1873
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2007
      When still in the J-lem ulpan, someone wrote to me offline about
      what might be a "next step" from the Behrman House series. It was
      only last night that I noticed the "Shalav" part of the title. Oops.

      Shalav gimmel actually teaches grammatical points that were in this
      past summer's level gimmel ulpan. The attitude in that ulpan seemed
      to be, "It's time to spread your wings and fly" -- start reading the
      easy Hebrew newspapers and Gesher book series; try translating
      a "regular" (Maariv/Yedioth Aharonot/whatever) news article; start
      listening to conversational CDs and begin speaking. Enjoy plays at
      theaters; rent out movies (or go for free to Hebrew U's movie
      collection & view 'em at in-library facilities); enjoy-experience-
      taste-participate. Practice, venture out, and exercise your ability
      as an intermediate-level language student.

      One suggestion would be to get the *vowel-less* Ivrit min HaHathala
      level bet book, with CD. Prove to your own satisfaction that
      reading unpointed script is not such a cosmic secret. Most
      importantly, listen to the recorded conversations/skits. I
      personally have an easier time reading than comprehending speech
      spoken at "normal" speed (which tends to be somewhat quick), and am
      still re-playing the 2nd half of the last couple o' "bet" CDs. With
      repetition, yet one more word or phrase arises out of the mud to
      become a recognizable "something spoken."

      I was personally pleased to be able to follow along with what
      teachers were saying in class (thought there *were* days when the
      vocabulary was out-of-reach and I limped along 'til I could dash
      home & delve into my trusty made-in-Israel vowel-pointed
      dictionary). It was obvious that the others in class had had a lot
      more exposure to (and mastery of) vocabulary, but I gave it an
      earnest try and benefited greatly. There is a lot of material at
      home (listening CDs with books, aimed specifically at the level
      gimmel/dalet intermediate student) that I'll want to finish before
      returning to another summer ulpan.

      The four "Gesher" easy-Hebrew books that I picked up from the
      university bookstore were polished off (read) in one
      Saturday/Shabbat afternoon. I wanted an enjoyable experience, and
      rather than stopping with every unknown word to make a dictionary
      consultation, I instead plowed through and "got the idea" through
      context. So, the stories were quite enthralling (relating times
      from pre-State history), but if my lazy self could be convinced to
      re-read the books and look up every unknown word in the dictionary,
      I'd perhaps gain even more. In any case, my self-confidence got a
      boost from having completed and enjoyed actual, start-to-finish