Intermediate Reading Group Collation: 1 Samuel 14:11-15

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007
      Hi everyone:

      Here's the collation for 1 Samuel 14:11-15. I only received two
      submissions so far (and I'm out again this week!). If I get any
      others, I'll repost.

      By all means please do review this collation and post any questions or
      comments to the list. Next up: 1 Samuel 14:16-20, due before Sunday
      Feb 11 at 5 AM EST (10:00 GMT).

      Standard Instructions:

      Anyone may join this group at any time (and occasional participation
      is welcome). You only need the Hebrew text of 1 Samuel and a good
      dictionary or lexicon. Send your English translation in the body of
      an email message to Berel at hebrewassignments@....

      All the best,

      Berel (who's hoping to rejoin the group!)

      --
      KAW Kelwin
      PEB Paul

      KAW And the two of them revealed themselves to the garrison of the
      Philistines and the Philistines said, "Behold, Hebrews are coming
      out from the holes where they have hidden themselves."

      PEB And the two of them showed themselves to the garrison of the
      Philistines; and the Philistines said: "Behold, [some] Hebrews
      are coming forth from the holes where they have been hiding".
      ------

      KAW And the men of the garrison called (lit. answered) Jonathan and
      his armour-bearer and they said, "Come up to us and we will make
      something known to you." And Jonathan said to the his
      armour-bearer, "Come up after me for the L-rd has given them into
      the hand of Israel."

      PEB And the men of the outpost answered Jonathan and his weapons
      bearer, and they said: "Come up to us and we will teach you a
      thing". And Jonathan said to his weapons bearer: "Come up behind
      me, for the L-rd has given them into the hand of Israel".
      ------

      KAW And Jonathan went up on his hands and feet and his armour-bearer
      after him and they fell before Jonathan and his armour-bearer
      killed (some) after him.

      PEB And Jonathan went up on his hands and feet and his weapons bearer
      behind him; and they [Philistines] fell before Jonathan, and his
      weapons bearer was putting [them] to death after him.
      ------

      KAW And the first smiting which Jonathan and his armour-bearer smote
      was about twenty men as in half a furrow-length of an acre of
      field.

      PEB And the first slaughter which Jonathan and his weapons bearer did
      smite [?] was about twenty men; as in a half-acre field [which a
      pair of oxen can plow] [?].
      ------

      KAW And a trembling was in the camp, in the field and in all the
      people. The garrison and the one who destroyed trembled, even
      them. And the land shook and it was for a trembling of God.

      PEB And there was trembling in the camp in the field, and in all the
      people/soldiers of the garrison and the destruction [?] even they
      trembled; and the earth quaked, and it [fem.] was for a mighty
      trembling [for a trembling of (ascribed to) G-d).