Fwd: questions for the advanced group

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      This is from Gavra. I'll try my hand at them later in
      the evening. If anyone want's to jump in ahead of me,
      though, that's fine!

      Berel

      > I have some questions to post to the advanced group
      > please.
      > Exercise 14 #11 What is "vam"? Where is it located
      > in Weingreen's text?
      > Exercise 15 #11 What is "vayihoo"?
      > Exercise 17 #15 Is Shamarte "I have kept" or "I will
      > keep" here?
      > Exercise 19 #19 does 'lo'' = 'for himself' ?
      > Exercise 20 #3 What is the 'ha' in 'hamvaksem'?
      > Isn't this word in Piel
      > plural?
      > Exercise 21 #6 Is the construct of city 'eer' like
      > that of house 'bayit' ?
      > ('are' and 'bare')?
      > Exercise 22 #2 Does 'halo' = 'is not'?
      > Is vayihoo and they were?
      > What is vathee?
      > gjhinky@...

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Charlie White
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2003
        Hello all

        One little help I learnt many years ago has helped me
        learn these Hebrew words.

        A child talking to their mother

        'What ma who me'?

        what mah who mi

        Maybe it may help

        regards

        Charlie

        All the best

      • Berel Beyer
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2003
          > > I have some questions to post to the advanced group
          > > please.

          First of all, Gavra, thanks so much for posting your questions. This
          is exactly what makes a group like this work. Chances are very high
          that if you have a question about something, someone else in the
          group does, too.

          > > Exercise 14 #11 What is "vam"? Where is it located
          > > in Weingreen's text?

          bam (beis mem) is the preposition beis with the suffix (p. 52
          Weingreen). There's also an alternate for this form, bahem (beis,
          heh, mem). Note that in this sentence the dagesh lene has dropped
          out (so it's vam instead of bam) because it's preceded by a vowel (p.
          42, footnote c).

          > > Exercise 15 #11 What is "vayihoo"?

          I don't see this word in ex. 15 # 11. How is it spelled? Perhaps
          it's the 3rd p. pl. imperfect of haya with a prefixed vav.

          > > Exercise 17 #15 Is Shamarte "I have kept" or "I will
          > > keep" here?

          Since this is the vav consersive with the perfect, I would translate
          it as future, "I will protect you from all evil." This one's a
          little tricky since although the first word vayhi establishes this
          sentence as a vav consecutive (Weingreen p. 92 f), there is an
          infinitive and and "anochi Hashem" separating the two verbs. I'm
          guessing that's irrelavant, though. Maybe someone who really knows
          grammar wants to jump in.

          > > Exercise 19 #19 does 'lo'' = 'for himself' ?

          Yes, that's how I would translate it: The king made for himself..."
          I think the suffix vav can the 3rd pers. masc. sing. as well as
          reflexive.

          > > Exercise 20 #3 What is the 'ha' in 'hamvaksem'?
          > > Isn't this word in Piel
          > > plural?

          Yes this is Piel. It's the participle with the article (Weingreen,
          p. 66 -- the paragraph in the middle of the page). In idiomatic
          English you'd add the relative pronoun: "Wicked men were found in the
          city *who* were seeking the blood of our king."

          > > Exercise 21 #6 Is the construct of city 'eer' like
          > > that of house 'bayit' ?
          > > ('are' and 'bare')?

          I don't have a dictionary with me, but I think the construct sing. of
          iyr is aray (ayin, resh, yud), wheras bayit simply becomes beit. But
          I don't think iyr in this setence is construct, but rather the direct
          object with a masc. pl. suffix, "their cities."

          > > Exercise 22 #2 Does 'halo' = 'is not'?
          > > Is vayihoo and they were?
          > > What is vathee?

          See Weingreen p. 80 footnote c. Halo can eithe be tranlated as "is
          not David hiding," or "surley David is hiding," depending on the
          context.

          Vayihu is the vav consec with the imperf. of haya. This construction
          in the singular very often means "and it happened," "and it came to
          pass," which is how I translated it. But looking at it again, since
          it's plural, I think you're right. It probably just means "messenger
          of Samuel *were* on the road."

          Yathi is the same word, but feminine (since ruach is fem.) I
          translated it as an akward "and the spirit of G-d happened upon
          them," but probably simply "the spirit of G-d was upon them" would be
          better.

          Hope some of my explanations make sense! Keep the questions coming!
          They're great! Also, if you see any questions on the list that you
          want to try your hand at, by all means do.

          Thanks again! It was very helpful to look at these again.

          Berel