suggestion: HaYesod in a 3-course format

  • fenderbender_5
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
      1st Phase: Simple present tense

      2nd Phase: Simple present & past tense

      3rd Phase (the one where lots of folks get discouraged):
      Past, present & FUTURE
      (which is made much simpler when you actually *hear* it spoken in context)

      This way, folks who are content with present & past tenses could then reach their goals, and presumably (if they want) start the cycles again.

      Folks who want to wade into FUTURE tense can then go (and you can betcha, they probably drive red hotrods like maniacs down the road -- and bungee-jump)

      Any thoughts?

      Now that I've finally forked up the $150 for DavkaWriter, compiling a vocabulary list the way *I* like it will be easy. Wish I were starting again, soon!

      shekadia

    • dana damiani
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi Shekadia,
        I am a big fan of the Ha-yesod, and wouldn't mind working more on future tense, even
        though I drive a bland pick-up and on occasion play "jump-rope" (Yippeee!) with my
        grandson! I am not familiar with davka writer. Would this be necessary to participate?
        Am interested in learning more.
        Dana

        fenderbender_5 <svens_dotter1873@...> wrote:

        1st Phase: Simple present tense

        2nd Phase: Simple present & past tense

        3rd Phase (the one where lots of folks get discouraged):
        Past, present & FUTURE
        (which is made much simpler when you actually *hear* it spoken in context)

        This way, folks who are content with present & past tenses could then reach their goals, and presumably (if they want) start the cycles again.

        Folks who want to wade into FUTURE tense can then go (and you can betcha, they probably drive red hotrods like maniacs down the road -- and bungee-jump)

        Any thoughts?

        Now that I've finally forked up the $150 for DavkaWriter, compiling a vocabulary list the way *I* like it will be easy. Wish I were starting again, soon!

        shekadia

        Hebrew translation Language translation Hebrew language

        ---------------------------------

      • stevenhalbert
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
          Before you spend too many hours developing your vocabulary list in
          DavkaWriter, take a look at the two sets of Hebrew vocabulary cards
          available from vis-ed.com. The Biblical Hebrew set has the 1000 most
          common words; I used it years ago, and have probably ordered another
          six sets for other people. One especially nice feature is that the
          cards often include related terms with the root word -- for example,
          the card for "melech" (king) might also have entries for "malkah"
          (queen) and "malchus" (kingdom, kingship). I haven't used the Modern
          Hebrew set, but expect it would be of similar high quality. (They're
          pretty cheap, too -- $12.95 each if I remember right.)

          For those who find verb forms difficult (and who doesn't, given the
          complexity?), I'd suggest looking at the "201 Hebrew Verbs" or even
          better the "501 Hebrew Verbs" paperbacks from Barron's. They're
          likely to be quite helpful, especially if you try to figure out the
          verb forms and then use the book to see if you're right. Again,
          reasonably cheap.

          As for the 3-course idea: I think that would stunt one's knwoledge
          of Hebrew, limit one to the early pages of Hebrew textbooks, and not
          even cover the common verb forms found in the Torah (first five books
          of the Bible). You can ignore the future tense only if you don't
          care about your future ability to use Hebrew.

          Kol tuv,

          Steve Albert

          --- In selfstudyhebrew@yahoogroups.com, fenderbender_5
          <svens_dotter1873@...> wrote:

          > 1st Phase: Simple present tense
          >
          > 2nd Phase: Simple present & past tense
          >
          > 3rd Phase (the one where lots of folks get discouraged):
          > Past, present & FUTURE
          > (which is made much simpler when you actually *hear* it spoken in
          context)

          > This way, folks who are content with present & past tenses could
          then reach their goals, and presumably (if they want) start the
          cycles again.

          > Folks who want to wade into FUTURE tense can then go (and you can
          betcha, they probably drive red hotrods like maniacs down the road --
          and bungee-jump)

          > Any thoughts?
          >
          > Now that I've finally forked up the $150 for DavkaWriter,
          compiling a vocabulary list the way *I* like it will be easy. Wish I
          were starting again, soon!

          > shekadia
        • svens_dotter1873
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
            Goal:
            to eliminate the sense of "I have failed/dropped out," and encourage
            further advancement into HaYesod.

            HaYesod readers likely have varying motivations: it's a hobby for
            some, aliyah tool for others. Some of us are already in Israel (LUCKY
            DUCKS!!) and a lot are not.

            The breakdown of the book into a 2 or 3 phase format might, hopefully,
            make participation a "win-win" situation for all. One could progress
            as far as one chooses, and continue on at some future time.

            (I guess this means I'd like to see HaYesod "cycles" -- a new start in
            the book every 4 months; a rather steady schedule that one could join
            in on any time of the year. Even a "group" of 1 is valid!).

            Steve mentioned the vis-ed cards. These are indeed excellent. I'd
            love to see some correlation with actual numbers (of the cards) with
            chapter numbers in HaYesod. A pack of 1,000 such cards sits on my
            shelf, and is generally untouched 'cause I don't have a sensible
            approach to mastering 1,000 cards ("all-or-nothing thinking," alas).

            I've been listening to hebrewworld.com's "Treasury of Hebrew Idioms."
            Some of these are grammatically matched to some of HaYesod's lessons.
            Then, parts of other beginners' books that might be incorporated in-
            between HaYesod chapters, for more practice/vocabulary.
            Realistically, few would want to spend $100 on books that one has
            never seen, yet no one wants to violate copyright laws ... hmmm (still
            pondering).

            Let's just say, HaYesod students might benefit from either
            1) an "expanded" format: more exercises in-between chapters.
            Perhaps *another* book (<$40) incorporated?
            2) a "phase" format: perhaps HaYesod I, covering present & past
            tenses, followed by hearty souls to HaYesod II, venture into future
            tense.

            In short, the brainstorm needs more brainstorming. Insight/comments
            appreciated.

            Shavua tov, Y'all,

            shekadia
          • svens_dotter1873
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
              --- <hannahoon56@...> wrote:

              > I am not familiar with davka writer. Would this be necessary to
              participate?

              No. DavkaWriter likely should not be a "requirement" (though it's a
              great help). It costs about $150, and for r-e-a-l-l-y ritzy (ashir)
              living, Hebrew-English keyboards are available in the U.S. for about
              $30.

              DavkaWriter is likely what Jacob uses to post word-for-word
              HaYesod .pdf files. (Personally, I get a kick out of *easy* it is to
              use the program to add nikud/vowel signs to already-typed words).

              HaYesod's highly compact coverage of grammar differs from the "endless
              exercises" I had in beginners' ulpan. Those who dropped out from
              HaYesod along the way actually can accomplish quite a lot with
              whatever Hebrew they've learned (though they might not realize this
              when focussed solely on the number of chapters undone).

              (Still pondering),

              shekadia
            • Terri
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                I would love to start over with HaYesod. I dropped out of HaYesod 2005
                after 14 chapters because it was going too fast for me. One chapter a week
                seems so fast for me to absorb all the material. I think extra exercises
                for each chapter would be good also. I have Hebrew a Language Course, Bella
                Bergman, Editor, Primer through book 3. The primer has just mainly
                vocabulary, now I'm starting book 1 (Level 1) and it has 9 units in it with
                lots of exercises with the units, so will be more helpful in cementing the
                grammar for me. I would love to have someone else working along with me in
                these books, or go back to HaYesod again with another group starting. I
                guess I just need schedules and deadlines to help me keep moving. On my
                own, I tend to work on it sporadically.

                Anyone interested?
                Terri

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Terri
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
                  I also put Chapters 1-14 flash cards for HaYesod book in the files. I
                  stopped at that time because I dropped out of the group, and haven't gone
                  any further with the chapters on my own.

                  Terri

                  <svens_dotter1873@...> wrote:

                  > 1st Phase: Simple present tense
                  >
                  > 2nd Phase: Simple present & past tense
                  >
                  > 3rd Phase (the one where lots of folks get discouraged):
                  > Past, present & FUTURE
                  > (which is made much simpler when you actually *hear* it spoken in
                  context)

                  > This way, folks who are content with present & past tenses could
                  then reach their goals, and presumably (if they want) start the
                  cycles again.

                  > Folks who want to wade into FUTURE tense can then go (and you can
                  betcha, they probably drive red hotrods like maniacs down the road --
                  and bungee-jump)

                  > Any thoughts?
                  >
                  > Now that I've finally forked up the $150 for DavkaWriter,
                  compiling a vocabulary list the way *I* like it will be easy. Wish I
                  were starting again, soon!

                  > shekadia

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Terri