Rabbinic Hebrew: help w/ Unit 2, Ex. 16???

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      Any chance someone could help me with Unit 2, Ex. 16?

      למה משה דומה באותה שעה

      First of all, is the third word domeh or dumah? Neither one really
      makes too much sense to me. What I'd need to plug it into is:

      Why is Moses domeh/dumah at that very hour?

      Neither word seems to fit (unless there's an idiom I don't know about
      ... oh, BTW, I can't find domeh in Jastrow. What's the shoresh???).

      Of course there's the distinct possibliity that I'm completely
      mistranslating something (is mem-shin-he here a verb, perhaps ... "why
      did he draw out the dumah at that very hour???"). This is where some
      context would help ... I have the sifre coming on interlibrary loan!

      Thanks!

      Berel
    • pattypower47
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        I would think it would be "to appear as" Mi domeh lak? from the
        siddur. But context would be nice.

        Pat

        --- In selfstudyhebrew@yahoogroups.com, Berel Beyer <berelbeyer@...>
        wrote:

        > Any chance someone could help me with Unit 2, Ex. 16?
        >
        > למ×" מש×" ×"ומ×" ×`אות×" שע×"
        >
        > First of all, is the third word domeh or dumah? Neither one really
        > makes too much sense to me. What I'd need to plug it into is:
        >
        > Why is Moses domeh/dumah at that very hour?
        >
        > Neither word seems to fit (unless there's an idiom I don't know about
        > ... oh, BTW, I can't find domeh in Jastrow. What's the shoresh???).
        >
        > Of course there's the distinct possibliity that I'm completely
        > mistranslating something (is mem-shin-he here a verb, perhaps ... "why
        > did he draw out the dumah at that very hour???"). This is where some
        > context would help ... I have the sifre coming on interlibrary loan!
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Berel

      • dana damiani
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          Berel, I may be way off here, but I think the shoresh for this word is dalet, mem, and hey the 501 verbs has the meaning as (be alike or resemble), but when I read it, I was not able to make any sense of the sentence either. The definition for dumah in 501 verbs is (be compared or be imagined) I hope I didn't add too much confusion.
          Dana

          Berel Beyer <berelbeyer@...> wrote:
          Any chance someone could help me with Unit 2, Ex. 16?

          למה משה דומה באותה שעה

          First of all, is the third word domeh or dumah? Neither one really
          makes too much sense to me. What I'd need to plug it into is:

          Why is Moses domeh/dumah at that very hour?

          Neither word seems to fit (unless there's an idiom I don't know about
          ... oh, BTW, I can't find domeh in Jastrow. What's the shoresh???).

          Of course there's the distinct possibliity that I'm completely
          mistranslating something (is mem-shin-he here a verb, perhaps ... "why
          did he draw out the dumah at that very hour???"). This is where some
          context would help ... I have the sifre coming on interlibrary loan!

          Thanks!

          Berel

          English to hebrew translation Hebrew language translation Hebrew translation Language translation Hebrew grammar Hebrew language