[Weingreen2006]: English-to-Hebrew exercises

  • Paul E. Baronowsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      Shalom, list members,

      If enough participants in [Weingreen2006] - let's say three or more - want
      to do the English-to-Hebrew exercises each week, I am willing to prepare
      and post the collation.

      Three requirements:
      1) the Hebrew text must be in Unicode UTF-8 (not UTF-7, UTF-16, or UTF-32);
      2) the assignment must be sent as plain text, not HTML or 'styled'; and
      3) the one font used must support both English and Hebrew text. This leaves
      out the Ezra SIL font, which does not support English text. I personally
      use Times New Roman, which supports both English and pointed Hebrew. There
      are other usable fonts, but I prefer the appearance of Times New Roman.

      The assignments should be sent to me <abaronow@...> , not to
      yahoogroups.com.

      English assignments are due Saturday night - actually, very early Sunday
      morning (in the US,). I would like to make the Hebrew assignments due
      Monday evening. For other time zones, that would be about midnight GMT (or
      UCT - Universal Coordinated Time, as I think it is called now). The
      collation would be posted Tuesday morning here, or early Tuesday afternoon GMT.

      If this coming Monday, Dec 05, is too soon for the first assignment, let me
      know, and I will delay it.

      If you want to take part in the English-to-Hebrew exercises, please let me
      know. Send me the name by which you want to be identified and your initials
      or other identifier. My standard practice is to identify participants by
      their given names or nicknames, not surnames; and I do not include email
      addresses in the collations. For example, I identify myself as 'PEB Paul'.

      The format will be the same as for the Hebrew-to-English exercises, with
      only one exception: start your line with HEB instead of ENG.

      I felt frustrated a couple weeks ago when I sent a Unicode message to
      selfstudyhebrew, only to be told it could not be posted, because only plain
      text messages were acceptable. I did not understand that, because the
      message was sent as plain text! As it turned out, the message was posted to
      the list after all. And several people wrote to me, saying that the Hebrew
      was readable.

      The three requirements I listed above have little to do with the email
      list, but rather with the software I use to handle Greek and Hebrew Unicode
      text.

      If you are interested, please let me hear from you.

      Best Wishes,
      Paul E. Baronowsky
      abaronow@...
    • Jim T.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        I hate to, but I'm only a spectator, trying to learn. I don't think I'm
        quite ready to move into a study, but I do hope enough do so I might watch
        as I have on the B-Hebrew site, I'm learning so much. I've always believed
        so many people were miss interpreting words in the Bible, but most was
        because it's so difficult to translate something with so few words to
        something with so many and that many. English words are so much alike,
        spelled and spoken.

        Shalom,

        Jim T.

        _____

[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "selfstudyhebrew
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/selfstudyhebrew> " on the web.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        _____

      • Susan Jeffers
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
          > If enough participants in [Weingreen2006] - let's say three or more -
          want
          > to do the English-to-Hebrew exercises each week, I am willing to
          prepare
          > and post the collation.

          I would like to do the English-to-Hebrew exercises, but where do I get
          a suitable font? Such as the Times New Roman UTF-8 font mentioned? My
          computer did not display the test Hebrew posted a week or two ago, by
          the way... no idea why... also I use Eudora for my Email, which it
          sounds like might be problematic. Yikes!

          I ordered the book as soon as I heard about this class, but it hasn't
          arrived yet. I'll jump on board as soon as it comes.

          Thanks!