Intermediate Reading Group Collation: 1 Samuel 6:1-5

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2005
      Hi everyone:

      Here's the collation for 1 Samuel 6:1-5. By all means please do
      review this collation and post any questions or comments to the list.

      Next up: 1 Samuel 6:6-10, due before Saturday night Sept. 10, at
      midnight EDT (04:00 GMT, Sunday morning).

      Standard Instructions:

      Anyone may join this group at any time (and occasional participation
      is welcome). You only need the Hebrew text of 1 Samuel and a good
      dictionary or lexicon. Send your English translation in the body of
      an email message to Berel at hebrewassignments@....

      To view the Hebrew in this collation, you must encode your page as
      "Unicode (UTF-8)." For Windows, simply right-click on the page (for
      Windows Explorer98+) and choose "Unicode (UTF-8)." from "Encoding."

      All the best,

      Berel
      --

      BB Berel
      CR Clayton

      א ו,א וַיְהִי אֲרוֹן-ה' בִּשְׂדֵה פְלִשְׁתִּים, שִׁבְעָה חֳדָשִׁים

      BB The Ark of Hashem was in the land of the Phlishtim seven months.

      CR And the ark of HaShem was in the Philistine countryside seven months.

      ECW And the Ark of the L-rd was in the country of the Philistines for
      seven months

      KAW And the ark of the L-rd had been in the country of the
      Philistines for seven months.
      ------

      א ו,ב וַיִּקְרְאוּ פְלִשְׁתִּים, לַכֹּהֲנִים וְלַקֹּסְמִים
      לֵאמֹר, מַה-נַּעֲשֶׂה, לַאֲרוֹן ה': הוֹדִעֻנוּ, בַּמֶּה נְשַׁלְּחֶנּוּ
      לִמְקוֹמוֹ

      BB And the Phlishtim called out to their priests and to their
      diviners saying, "What shall we do with the Ark of Hashem? Explain to
      us in what manner we should send it back to its place."

      CR And the Philistines cried out to the priests and to the diviners,
      saying "what shall we do with the ark of HaShem? Inform us how we may
      send it to its place."

      ECW And the Philistines called the priests and the diviners saying
      what shall we do with the Ark of the L-rd make known to us how we
      shall return it to its place

      KAW And the Philistines called for the priests and the diviners
      saying, What shall we do with the ark of the L-rd? Inform us how we
      should send it to its place.
      ------

      א ו,ג וַיֹּאמְרוּ, אִם-מְשַׁלְּחִים אֶת-אֲרוֹן אֱלֹקֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל
      אַל-תְּשַׁלְּחוּ אֹתוֹ רֵיקָם--כִּי-הָשֵׁב תָּשִׁיבוּ לוֹ, אָשָׁם; אָז
      תֵּרָפְאוּ וְנוֹדַע לָכֶם, לָמָּה לֹא-תָסוּר יָדוֹ מִכֶּם

      BB They replied, "If you are sending it back the Ark of the G-d of
      Israel, do not send it back empty-handed, but you should certainly
      bring back a guilt offering to Him. Then you will be healed and it
      will be made know to you why His hand would not turn from you. [BDB
      says "after negatives ki becomes = but." Couldn't find it in
      Gesenius.]

      CR And they said, "if you send the ark of the God of Israel away, do
      not send it empty, but return a trespass-offering, then you will be
      healed, and it will be made known to you why his hand is not turned
      away from you."

      ECW And they said If you the Ark of the G-d of Israel away do not
      send it empty but surely return with it a guilt offering the you will
      be healed and you will know why his hand has not been turned from you

      KAW And they said, If you send [lit. if sending] the ark of the G-d
      of Israel, do not send it empty for you will surely take back to Him a
      guilt offering. Then you will be healed and it shall be known by you
      why his hand will not turn away from you.
      ------

      א ו,ד וַיֹּאמְרוּ, מָה הָאָשָׁם אֲשֶׁר נָשִׁיב לוֹ, וַיֹּאמְרוּ
      מִסְפַּר סַרְנֵי פְלִשְׁתִּים, חֲמִשָּׁה עפלי (טְחֹרֵי) זָהָב
      וַחֲמִשָּׁה עַכְבְּרֵי זָהָב: כִּי-מַגֵּפָה אַחַת לְכֻלָּם,
      וּלְסַרְנֵיכֶם

      BB They said, "What is the guild offering which we should send to
      Him?" They replied, "From the number of regents of the Phlishtim --
      five golden hemorrhoids [whatever that means!] and five golden mice.
      For it was a single plague for all of you and for your regents.

      CR And they said, "what is the trespass-offering that we must return
      to him?" And they said "five golden tumors, and five golden mice, the
      number of the lords of Philistia, for one plague is upon you all, and
      upon your lords."

      ECW And they said what is the guilt offering we shall return to him?
      And they said according to the number of the Princes of the
      Philistines five gold tumours and five gold mice because it was one
      plague that was upon you all and your princes

      KAW And they said, What guilt offering shall we take back to him? And
      they said, The number of the princes of the Philistines, file golden
      boils and five golden mice, for one plague was to all of you [lit.
      them] and to your princes.
      ------

      א ו,ה וַעֲשִׂיתֶם צַלְמֵי עפליכם (טְחֹרֵיכֶם) וְצַלְמֵי
      עַכְבְּרֵיכֶם, הַמַּשְׁחִיתִם אֶת-הָאָרֶץ, וּנְתַתֶּם לֵאלֹקֵי
      יִשְׂרָאֵל, כָּבוֹד; אוּלַי, יָקֵל אֶת-יָדוֹ מֵעֲלֵיכֶם, וּמֵעַל
      אֱלֹהֵיכֶם, וּמֵעַל אַרְצְכֶם

      BB Make images of hemorrhoids and images of mice which are ravishing
      the land, and give honor to the G-d of Israel. Perhaps His hand will
      ease up from upon you, and from upon your gods, and from upon your
      land. [From what I can gather from Gesenius 112 aa, the perf.
      consecutive doesn't necessarily have to depend upon a preceding
      imperative or jussive, but can stand alone as a command. Correct?]

      CR And you shall make images of your tumors, and images of your
      mice, that destroy the land, and give glory to the God of Israel, that
      he may lighten his hand off you, and off your god, and off your land.

      ECW And you shall make images of the tumours and images of the mice
      which spoilt the land and you shall give to the G-d of Israel glory so
      that perhaps his hand may be lightened from off you and from off your
      gods and from off your land

      KAW And you will make statues of your boils and statues of your mice
      which ruined the land and you will give glory to the God of Israel.
      Perhaps he will lighten his hand upon you and upon your gods and upon
      your land.
    • Terri
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2005
        Hi all,

        The flash cards and vocabulary list for Chapter 12 are now in the files section.

        Terri