Intermediate Reading Group Collation: II Kings 14:26-29

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi everyone:

      Here's the collation for II Kings 14:26-29. Thank you very much to
      George for providing the transliteration (since for this assignment
      only there is no ORT transliteration -- we'll return to those for the
      next assignment). I haven't had time to learn it, but
      transliteration scheme is here:

      http://www.ibiblio.org/bhebrew/

      By all means please do review this collation and post any questions
      or comments to the list. I thought this was not a very goodselection
      for an "intermediate" reading. Verse 26 was *very* difficult (and
      has been problematic to a number of classical commentators). But
      next week's reading looks much better (easier!). So ... should we
      divide it into two or three readings? If two, the next assignment
      will be Exodus 21, 28-32 (if three it will be Exodus 21, 28-30).
      Anyone who's thinking of participating, please let me know which you
      prefer. Let's keep to our normal Wednesday night / Thursday morning
      deadline, though, if possible.

      Anyone may join this group at any time. Just send your assignment in
      the body of an email message to hebrewassignments@.... The
      subject of the message should be the assigned reading for that week
      (e.g., 1 Sam 1:1-5). The translation of *each* verse should start
      with your initials followed by the English translation (which may be
      as many English sentences as you'd like). Verse numbers should *not*
      be included in your translations. Please also type the word END at
      the conclusion of your assignment. Anything you don't want included
      in the collation should be preceded by a #.

      All the best,

      Berel
      --

      BB Berel
      DJ Dave

      14:26 K.iY_Rf)fH H' )eT_(:fNiY Yi
      :Rf)"L MoReH M:)oD Wf)eFeS (fCW.B W:)"YN (oZ"R L:Yi
      :Rf)"L

      BB For Hashem saw the affliction of Israel was very contentious,
      [with] none restrained and none free, and there was no helper for
      Israel.

      DJ Because the L-RD saw the distress of Israel (even) great
      bitterness, and there was nothing restrained and there was
      nothing left and there was no helper for Israel.

      ECW For the L-rd saw that the affliction of Israel was exceedingly
      bitter for there was none shut up nor wandering free and there
      was no helper for Israel
      ------

      14:27 W:Lo)_DiB.eR H' LiM:XoWT )eT_$"M Yi
      :Rf)"L MiT.aXaT Ha$fMfYiM WaY.oW$iY("M B.:YaD YfRfB:(fM
      B.eN_YoW)f$

      BB And Hashem did not say to wipe out the name of Israel from under
      the sun, and he saved them by the hand of Yerovam ben Yoash.

      DJ And the L-RD did not say that he would wipe out the name of
      Israel from under the heavens, but he saved them by the hand of
      Yarovam son of Yoash.

      ECW But the L-rd did not say that he would blot out the name of
      Israel from under Heaven; he saved them by the hand of Jeroboam
      the son of Joash
      ------

      14:28 W:YeTeR D.iB:R"Y YfRfB:(fM W:KfL_):a$eR (f
      fH W.G:BW.RfToW ):a$eR NiL:XfM Wa):a$eR H"$iYB )eT_D.aM.e
      eQ W:)eT_X:aMfT LiYHW.DfH B.:Yi
      Rf)"L H:aLo)_H"M K.:TW.BiYM (aL_S"FeR D.iB:R"Y HaY.fMiYM
      L:MaL:K"Y Yi
      :Rf)"L

      BB And the rest of the deeds of Yerovam, and all that he did, and
      his might [with] which he engaged in battle, and [with] which he
      restored Damascus and Chamat to Yehuda by means of Israel -- they
      are surely written in the Sefer Divrei Yayamim [the Book of
      Chronicles] of the Kings of Israel.

      DJ And the rest of the acts of Yarovam and all that he did; his
      might, how he waged war and how he recovered Damascus and Chamat
      of Judah for Israel; are they are not written in the book of the
      Chronicles of the kings of Israel.

      ECW The rest of the acts of Jeroboam and all that he did and his
      mighty acts and how he fought and how he restored Damascus and
      Hamath to Judah in Israel are these not written in the Book of
      the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel?
      ------

      14:29 WaY.i$K.aB YfRfB:(fM (iM_):aBoTfYW (iM MaL:K"Y Yi
      Rf)"L WaY.iM:LoK Z:KaR:YfH B:NoW T.aX:T.fYW

      BB And Yerovam laid with his fathers -- with the kings of Israel --
      and Zechariah his son ruled in his place.

      DJ And Yarovam slept with his fathers, with the kings of Israel;
      then Zicharyah his son reigned in his place.

      ECW And Jeroboam slept with his fathers with the Kings of Israel and
      Zechariah his son reigned in his place. Find local movie times
      and trailers on Yahoo! Movies. http://au.movies.yahoo.com
      ------

      moreh (14:26)

      BB mem resh he / qal / act. partic. / 3 m. s. / lamed he / none / to
      be rebellious

      DJ mem, resh, hey / qal / participle / M,S / lamed hey / none / to
      rebel, to be disobedient, to be bitter
      ------

      atzur (14:26)

      BB ayin zayin resh / qal / pass. partic. / 3. m. s. / pe guttural /
      none / to restrain

      DJ ayin, tzaddie, resh / qal / passive particple / M,S / pey gutt,
      lamed gutt / none / to shut, close up, to hold back, restrain,
      detain, to retain strength
      ------

      azuv (14:26)

      BB ayin zayin beit / qal / pass. partic. / 3. m. s. / pe guttural /
      none / to loose

      DJ ayin, zaiyn, bet / qal / passive part / M,S / pey gutt / none /
      to leave, forsake, desert, to leave behind
      ------

      ozer (14:26)

      BB ayin zayin resh / qal / act. partic. / 3. m. s. / pe guttural /
      none / to help

      DJ ayin, zaiyn, bet / qal / active part / M,S / pey gutt / none / to
      help, assist, aid
      ------

      limchot (14:27)

      BB mem chet he / qal / inf. constr. / n.a. / ayin guttural; lamed he
      -- vav-tav termination for lamed he infinitives / none / to wipe
      out

      DJ mem, chet, hey / qal / infinitive construct / - / lamed hey /
      none / wipe, wipe out, blot out
      ------

      vayoshiyem (14:27)

      BB yod shin ayin / hiph / vav consec prefix / pe yod; lamed
      guttural; [shouldn't this be a shortened form w/o the inserted
      yod?] / 3. m. pl. / to save

      DJ yod, sheen, ayin / hiphil / imperfect / 3,M,S / pey yod, lamed
      gutt / 3rd masc plural / to deliver, save, set free
    • Aldo Yannon
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        Dear Study Group,

        Hello! Sorry I have been out for so long. I would like to get back into this group. Count me in. And I would like to do it in three readings.

        Aldo Yannon
        aayopc

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT