Intermediate Reading Group Collation: 1 Sam 1:21-24

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hi everyone:

      Here's the collation for 1 Samuel 1:21-24. I didn't have the
      textbook with me when I did my translation, so I may have missed some
      of the subtleties (and my below questions may have been addressed
      there). I also didn't have time to do the verb analyses, but I hope
      to next time.

      By all means please do review this collation and post any questions
      or comments to the list. Next up: our last four verses from Samuel,
      1:25-28. If it's okay with everyone, let's make this due after Yom
      Tov -- so how about Wednesday midnight, October 13? After that we'll
      be back on a normal schedule.

      Anyone may join this group at any time. Just send your assignment in
      the body of an email message to hebrewassignments@.... The
      subject of the message should be the assigned reading for that week
      (e.g., 1 Sam 1:1-5). The translation of *each* verse should start
      with your initials followed by the English translation (which may be
      as many English sentences as you'd like). Verse numbers should *not*
      be included in your translations. Please also type the word END at
      the conclusion of your assignment. Anything you don't want included
      in the collation should be preceded by a #.

      All the best,

      Berel

      --

      BB Berel
      CE Carolyn

      1:21Vaya'al ha'ish Elkanah vechol-beyto lizboach l'Hashem
      et-zevach hayamim ve'et-nidro.

      BB And the man Elkenah and all his house went up to offer to Hashem
      the yearly sacrifice and his vow.

      CE And the man, Elkanah and all his household went up at the time of
      the yearly sacrifice to make his sacrifice to the L-rd and his
      vow.

      DJ And the man Elkanah went up and all his household (with him) to
      sacrifice to the L-RD the yearly sacrifice and (for) his vow.

      ECW The man Elkanah and all his house went up to sacrifice to the
      L-rd the yearly sacrifice and his vow
      ------

      1:22 VeChanah lo alatah ki-amerah le'ishah ad yigamel hana'ar
      vahavi'otiv venir'ah et-peney Hashem veyashav sham ad-olam.

      BB But Chana did not go up for she said to her husband, "Until
      (=when) the child will be weaned, I will bring him. And when he
      will appear before Hashem, he will remain there for ever.

      CE And, Hannah did not go up because she said to her husband, "(I
      will stay) until the child is weaned and I will bring him and he
      will be seen before the L-rd and live there forever.

      DJ But Channah did not go up, for she said to her husband: Until
      (the time) the lad is weaned then I will bring him and he will be
      presented before the L-RD and he will dwell there forever.

      ECW And Hannah did not go up because she said to her husband 'Not
      until I have weaned the child and then I will bring him up and he
      will appear before the L-rd and he will remain there forever
      ------

      1:23 Vayomer lah Elkanah ishah asi hatov be'eynayich shvi
      ad-gomlech oto ach yakem Hashem et-devaro vateshev ha'ishah
      vateynek et-benah ad-gomlah oto.

      BB And her husband Elkenah said to her, "Do what is dood in your
      eyes. Remain until you have weaned him. May Hashem fulfill His
      word thus." And the woman remained and she nursed her son until
      she weaned him. [Why the mapik he in gamlah?]

      CE And Elkanah, her husband said to her, Do what is good in your
      eyes. Stay until you have weaned him. But, may the L-rd perform
      His word." And, the woman stayed and she nursed her son until she
      weaned him.

      DJ And Elkanah her husband said to her: Do that which is good in
      your eyes, abide until you have weaned him, only let the L-RD
      establish his word. So the woman abode and nursed her son until
      she had weaned him.

      ECW And Elkanah her husband said to her 'Do what is good in your
      eyes, remain here until you have weaned him, only let the word of
      the L-rd be established. And his wife remained and breast fed her
      son until she had weaned him
      ------

      1:24 Vata'alehu imah ka'asher gemalatu befarim shloshah ve'eyfah
      achat kemach venevel yayin vatevi'ehu veyt-Hashem Shilo vehana'ar
      na'ar.

      BB And she took him with her when she weaned him, with three bulls,
      one ephah of flour, and a jar of wine. And she brought him [to]
      the house of Hashem [in] Shilo, and the lad was young.

      CE And she took him up with her when she weaned him with three
      bulls, one ephah of flour and a flask of wine, and she brought
      him to the house of the L-rd at Shiloh. And, the young man was
      very young.

      DJ And she brought him up with her when she had weaned him; with
      three bullocks, an ephah of flour and a skin of wine. So she
      brought him to the house of the L-RD (at) Shilo and the boy was
      young.

      ECW And after she had weaned she took him and with her three bullocks
      a ephah of flour and a skin of wine and she brought him to the
      House of The L-rd in Shiloh and the child was young Find local
      movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
      ------

      DJ resh, aleph, hey / niphal / affix / 3,M,S / lamed hey / none / to
      see, niphal: to be seen, appear.
      ------

      DJ gimel, mem, lamed / qal / perfect / 3,M,S / none / Fem, 2nd
      person / to give, to do good, to ripen, to wean
      ------

      DJ koph, vav, mem / Hiphil / Jussive / 3,M,S / Tzree under koph
      indicates hiphil / none / to arise, hiphil: to cause to stand,
      establish, confirm
      ------

      DJ yod, nun, koph / hiphil / prefix / 3,F,S / pey yod verb / none /
      to suck; hiphil: to cause to taste, to suckle
      ------

      DJ gimel, mem, lamed / qal / prefect / 3,F,S / none / 3, M, Sing /
      to give, to do good, to ripen, to wean