Question on Imperative and Waw Consecutive

  • Raymond Regalado
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
      Dear List,

      In Weingreen Exercise 18 number 11 it says, "...hissateroo
      beharim...vahalakhtem ledarkekhem..." Apparently this means "...hide
      yourselves in the mountains...and go on your way...". Or, can this be
      translated, "...hide yourselves in the mountains...and you shall go on
      your way..."? I would appreciate it if someone could point out the
      relevant section in Weingreen explaining the grammar of this
      construction. Thanks!

      Kind Regards,

      Raymond
      Tokyo
    • Berel Beyer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
        Raymond:

        Thanks as always for your eagle eye! This construction, in fact,
        doesn't seem to be mentioned in Weingreen (remember, as detailed as
        Weingreen may seem at times, it is only meant to be an
        introduction). However, in Tanach the vav consecutive w/ the
        perfect very often follows tenses other than imperfect, most often
        an imperative (as here).

        This has come up a few times before. Here's from a previous posting
        I made to the list (which by the way, I found by searching the
        archive for the term "perfect consecutive").

        Hope all is well.

        Berel

        ---

        From: "Berel Beyer" <berelbeyer@...>
        Date: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:29 pm
        Subject: Exercise 16 due 7/17

        <cut>

        The only thing I would add is that the vav consecutive with the
        perfect is very often referring back to an imperative rather than an
        imperfect. Weingreen doesn't really explain this, but he uses it a
        lot in the ensuing exercises. The following is from Gesenius:

        -- The vav. consec. w/ the perfect can actually be a sequal to
        an "imperfect, imperative, or even participle" (#49.H, p.135).

        -- The perfect consecutive in immediate dependence of the preceding
        tense, or its. equivalent, serves...[a]fter an imperative, also with
        the same or a different subject, e.g. 2 S 7.5, lech v'amarta, go and
        tell...as also the perf. consec. of amar and diber very frequently
        follows other imperatives.." (#112.R, p.333).

      • polycarp66@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
          In a message dated 1/2/2004 7:39:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          fwgk5942@... writes:
          In Weingreen Exercise 18 number 11 it says, "...hissateroo
          beharim...vahalakhtem ledarkekhem..." Apparently this means "...hide
          yourselves in the mountains...and go on your way...". Or, can this be
          translated, "...hide yourselves in the mountains...and you shall go on
          your way..."? I would appreciate it if someone could point out the
          relevant section in Weingreen explaining the grammar of this
          construction. Thanks!
          ___

          You might take a look at http://www.basicsofbiblicalhebrew.com/. On their
          download page there is a PDF file on this very subject. The price is right --
          free!

          gfsomsel

        • polycarp66@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004