First Weingreen Assignment

  • Berel Beyer
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2002
      Hi everyone:

      Just a reminder that the first assignment for Weingreen (Exercise One,
      Hebrew-to-English, p. 26) is due this Thursday, April 18. Please send
      your answers to me at berelbeyer@... in the requested format (see
      “formatting instructions” from the group’s homepage).

      If you have any questions at all while you are reading through the
      material, please post them directly to the list (by sending an e-mail to
      selfstudyhebrew@yahoogroups.com). Probably other have the same
      questions.

      Please keep in mind that Weingreen throws a lot of information at you
      at the very beginning of the book. Some of it is essential and some of
      it is not so essential. The best approach is probably to read through
      the material carefully, get what you can, and remember that you can go
      back and review later as we're going through the book. Also, if you’re
      learning the aleph-beit from scratch, you’re probably better off using a
      standard binah rishon than Weingreen.

      I think I finally understand the kamtz chatuph - p. 12-14 - (but I
      guess if you use Ashkenaz pronunciation, it’s kind-of an academic
      point). I think I also get (most of!) of the pointing for the definite
      article - p. 23-25. Anyone have any comments or questions about this
      stuff?

      Personally, I plan on doing the English-to-Hebrew exercises on the
      weeks when we don’t have assignments due. However, I don’t think
      there’s a manageable way for us to exchange our work electronically. If
      anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

      Berel
      Want to be able to read from the Chumash and siddur? Check out Hebrew
      Self-Study: http://www.geocities.com/berelbeyer/index.html
    • Berel Beyer
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2002
        --- Berel Beyer <berelbeyer@...> wrote:
        Also, if you�re
        > learning the aleph-beit from scratch, you�re
        > probably better off using a
        > standard binah rishon than Weingreen.

        Sorry, I should be a little bit more clear: if you're
        starting out from the very beginning, you should first
        learn the aleph-beit with a primer that uses standard
        Sephardic or Ashkenaz pronunciation (rather than using
        Weingreen's chart on page 1-3). After that, Weingreen
        is perfectly suited to the beginner.
        Want to be able to read from the Chumash and siddur? Check out Hebrew Self-Study:
        http://www.geocities.com/berelbeyer/links.html
      • Debra I. Widera
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 18, 2002
          Berel,

          We had a water heater/furnace problem (catastrophe) at my house
          yesterday and today. Consequently, I forgot to bring my lesson to
          work today to send on to you. Please don't remove me from the list.
          If you post the answers, at least I'll be able to compare what I'd
          done with what was *supposed to be* correct.

          Thanks,
          Debra
        • Berel Beyer
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 19, 2002
            Debra:

            It's never a problem to skip assignments. Also - if you know you're going to be
            late with a submission - you can e-mail me and I'll hold off doing the collation until
            you send it. But you should probably send it directly to my e-mail address:
            berelbeyer@.... Hitting the reply button on your browser sends the message to the
            list -- and there seems to be a delay between when you post something to the list and
            when everyone in the group gets the e-mail.

            Hope the Hebrew's going well!

            Berel