[self-interest] Re: Announcing Self 4.1.2

  • Ashley Ward
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 1, 2000
      David Ungar <David.Ungar@...> writes:
      > Self 4.1.2 is now available from http://www.sun.com/research/self.
      >
      > Enjoy!

      Thanks Dave - this has solved my problem with getting it to download
      correctly on my iMac... it is interesting stuff!

      Cheers!

      Ash.

      --
      Ashley Ward - Graduate Teaching Assistant - PhD year 2
      ashley@... - http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~ashley/
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 6, 2000
        > This sounds very interesting!
        > It would be much better for Mario & I if we could just have this here.
        > I think we could work in the Labs here.
        > How do you feel about that?

        This is also ok for me. What is about the hardware stuff? We can bring our
        laptops with us, but this is maybe not enough.

        > (I'm not sure I could get away to Sebastopol, sorry).
        > If you like this idea, let me know and I will see to this end.

        What a kind of preparation can we do to make this weekend as productive as
        possible?

        How many people what to join us????? Anybody for South America?
      • David Ungar
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 6, 2000
          Thorsten,

          I need to check this out--I'll get back to you.

          If it were me, I would probably choose to undertake a project of this scale at
          a more leisurely pace. Some the bugs will likely take several
          showers' worth of thinking.
          But, if you want to do a weekend here on it, I will be happy to help
          and to play host
          at the labs. But I do need to talk to my boss before I can promise anything.

          - Dave

          > > This sounds very interesting!
          >> It would be much better for Mario & I if we could just have this here.
          >> I think we could work in the Labs here.
          >> How do you feel about that?
          >
          >This is also ok for me. What is about the hardware stuff? We can bring our
          >laptops with us, but this is maybe not enough.
          >
          >> (I'm not sure I could get away to Sebastopol, sorry).
          >> If you like this idea, let me know and I will see to this end.
          >
          >What a kind of preparation can we do to make this weekend as productive as
          >possible?
          >
          >How many people what to join us????? Anybody for South America?

          >Get an auto insurance quote and weíll give you a FREE 30 minute
          >phone card from Sprint. Just call
          >1-800-926-6012 or go to

          >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=self-interest&m=1

          David Ungar
          Sun Microsystems Laboratories
          (650) 336-2618
        • Rafael Kaufmann
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 6, 2000
            Thorsten Dittmar wrote:

            > How many people what to join us????? Anybody for South America?

            *waves hand*

            If only I could afford the air fare...

            --
            Rafael Kaufmann, delurking
            Instituto de Matemática Pura e Aplicada - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

            "I'm sure that nobody here would dream of misusing the Arpanet. It's as
            unthinkable as fornication, or smoking pot." -- RMS, evidently a long
            time ago
          • David Ungar
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 6, 2000
              Great!

              - Dave

              >David Ungar <David.Ungar@...> writes:
              >> Self 4.1.2 is now available from http://www.sun.com/research/self.
              >>
              >> Enjoy!
              >
              >Thanks Dave - this has solved my problem with getting it to download
              >correctly on my iMac... it is interesting stuff!
              >
              >Cheers!
              >
              >Ash.
              >
              >--
              > Ashley Ward - Graduate Teaching Assistant - PhD year 2
              > ashley@... - http://www.dcs.warwick.ac.uk/~ashley/
              >Room 102, Department of Computer Science, University of Warwick, Coventry

              >Get an auto insurance quote and weíll give you a FREE 30 minute
              >phone card from Sprint. Just call
              >1-800-926-6012 or go to

              >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/self-interest/?m=1

              David Ungar
              Sun Microsystems Laboratories
              (650) 336-2618
            • Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 7, 2000
                Thorsten Dittmar wrote:
                > What a kind of preparation can we do to make this weekend as productive as
                > possible?

                I have downloaded Gordon's old 4.0 effort as well as the sources for the 4.1.2
                VM and am now starting to study them to see what will be involved in this port.
                I am in the middle of upgrading my Linux box, but hope to have something to
                report by the end of this week.

                > How many people what to join us????? Anybody for South America?

                As a friend pointed out, I could spend US$1088 (the best rate I found for an
                air fare) on some courses and not learn nearly as much.

                A X86 port has suddenly become much more interesting for me as it is very
                likely that I will have to simplify the design for my first machine and use a
                PC compatible CPU (National Geode - ex Cyrix MediaGX).

                We shall see how this week goes. If I can get someting working, then there will
                be no need to join you. If I can't, then it wouldn't help much for me to join
                you. So it looks like I'll be staying here in either case...

                -- Jecel
              • Thorsten Dittmar
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 9, 2000
                  Hello,

                  I get yesterday a request for or talk here in Munich. This clients are very
                  important for us, so I want to ask you if it is possible to move our date. 2
                  or 4 weeks later would be great for me.
                  I'm very sorry about this, but this clients are very important for us.

                  Thorsten
                • Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 10, 2000
                    Thorsten Dittmar wrote:
                    > I get yesterday a request for or talk here in Munich. This clients are very
                    > important for us, so I want to ask you if it is possible to move our date. 2
                    > or 4 weeks later would be great for me.
                    > I'm very sorry about this, but this clients are very important for us.

                    There are two events in that area that are of some interest to me:

                    March 11/12 in Santa Barbara: Camp Squeak

                    March 14-18 in San Diego: Camp Smalltalk - http://camp.smalltalk.org/

                    If the Self Hack Weekend were close enough to these two so I could go to all of
                    them, the air fare would suddenly seem much cheaper...

                    Regards,
                    -- Jecel
                  • David Ungar
                    Message 9 of 22 , Feb 10, 2000
                      March 18th-19th would be OK for me.

                      - Dave

                      Message 10 of 22 , Feb 13, 2000
                        > March 18th-19th would be OK for me.

                        Is this also ok for you, Gordon?
                      • Gordon F. Cichon
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 16, 2000
                          Thorsten Dittmar wrote:

                          > > March 18th-19th would be OK for me.
                          >
                          > Is this also ok for you, Gordon?

                          This might be a problem. :-(
                          I thoroughly adjusted my schedule to make next week available.
                          I have a lot of work here, and I need to move till end of March.
                          Let's see how things are going to work out...

                          Gordon.
                        • David Ungar
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 16, 2000
                            Gordon, Thorsten, et al,

                            I know how hard it can be to coordinate schedules.
                            Please do not feel bad if you cannot find a common time.
                            You can always work on the Self port the traditional way: by putting in
                            effort over a time period. This even has the advantages of giving you more time
                            to think about hard problems when they come up.

                            Meanwhile, if you find a good time, let me know.

                            - Dave

                            >Thorsten Dittmar wrote:
                            >>
                            >> > March 18th-19th would be OK for me.
                            >>
                            >> Is this also ok for you, Gordon?
                            >
                            >This might be a problem. :-(
                            >I thoroughly adjusted my schedule to make next week available.
                            >I have a lot of work here, and I need to move till end of March.
                            >Let's see how things are going to work out...
                            >
                            >Gordon.

                            >You can save up to $200 on your auto insurance at Esurance.
                            >Personalize your auto insurance so that you only pay for
                            >what you need. Call 1-800-926-6012 or go to

                            >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=self-interest&m=1

                            David Ungar
                            Sun Microsystems Laboratories
                            (650) 336-2618
                          • Joseph Osako
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 23, 2000
                              At 01:10 PM 02/16/2000 -0800, you wrote:
                              >Gordon, Thorsten, et al,
                              >
                              >I know how hard it can be to coordinate schedules.
                              >Please do not feel bad if you cannot find a common time.
                              >You can always work on the Self port the traditional way: by putting in
                              >effort over a time period. This even has the advantages of giving you more
                              time
                              >to think about hard problems when they come up.
                              >
                              >Meanwhile, if you find a good time, let me know.
                              >
                              >- Dave

                              >>> Is this also ok for you, Gordon?
                              >>
                              >>This might be a problem. :-(
                              >>I thoroughly adjusted my schedule to make next week available.
                              >>I have a lot of work here, and I need to move till end of March.
                              >>Let's see how things are going to work out...

                              Uh, so, what is the story, then, I itsn't clear if it is rescheduled now or
                              not. When, if ever, will it be held?

                              I'd like to go, and have no problems for either weekend, but I'd need to
                              make the necessary travel arrangements. Can anyone give me a solid date and
                              locale?

                              J Osako
                              Programmer Analyst, Operating Systems Designer, Notational Engineer
                              http://www.slip.net/~scholr/resume.html
                            • David N. Smith (IBM)
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 23, 2000
                                Excuse me a moment...

                                Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!
                                Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!
                                Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!
                                Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!
                                Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!
                                Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!! Yippee!!!

                                I got SELF running on my new PowerBook G3!!

                                Thank you for your tolerance...

                                Dave

                                (I've been waiting for years for this.)
                                _______________________________
                                David N. Smith
                                IBM T J Watson Research Center
                                Hawthorne, NY
                                _______________________________
                                Any opinions or recommendations
                                herein are those of the author
                                and not of his employer.
                              • David Ungar
                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 23, 2000
                                  David,

                                  Thanks!!!!!!!

                                  - Dave

                                  PS: Keep on swingin'!

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 28, 2000
                                    Joseph Osako wrote:
                                    > Uh, so, what is the story, then, I itsn't clear if it is rescheduled now or
                                    > not. When, if ever, will it be held?
                                    >
                                    > I'd like to go, and have no problems for either weekend, but I'd need to
                                    > make the necessary travel arrangements. Can anyone give me a solid date and
                                    > locale?

                                    While I won't be able to go, I would also very interested in knowing how this
                                    will turn out. As David Ungar said, some bugs take a lot of time to squash so
                                    that a single weekend might be to short for such a project.