[self-interest] Mac Emulator?

  • John Ars
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5 8:10 AM
      While I'm now the proud owner of a Sparc machine, I was wondering if
      those that don't have access to one, could simply run Self on a
      Wintendo (oops, I mean, Windows ;-) box running an emulator like
      Basilisk.

      Is this even possible??

      Thanks,

      John
    • Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5 8:22 AM
        John Ars wrote:
        > While I'm now the proud owner of a Sparc machine,

        Congratulations on the monitor!

        > I was wondering if
        > those that don't have access to one, could simply run Self on a
        > Wintendo (oops, I mean, Windows ;-) box running an emulator like
        > Basilisk.
        >
        > Is this even possible??

        Well, it seems that this emulator only handles the 68K processor but Self needs
        a PowerPC to run on a Mac. While there are Sparc emulators for the PC which
        would give a much better result, none of the ones I have seen are complete
        enough to run Solaris applications.

        -- Jecel
      • Marko Mikulicic
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 6 8:07 AM
          you wrote:
          > John Ars wrote:
          > > While I'm now the proud owner of a Sparc machine,
          >
          > Congratulations on the monitor!
          >
          > > I was wondering if
          > > those that don't have access to one, could simply run Self on a
          > > Wintendo (oops, I mean, Windows ;-) box running an emulator like
          > > Basilisk.
          > >
          > > Is this even possible??
          >
          > Well, it seems that this emulator only handles the 68K processor but Self needs
          > a PowerPC to run on a Mac. While there are Sparc emulators for the PC which
          > would give a much better result, none of the ones I have seen are complete
          > enough to run Solaris applications.
          >
          > -- Jecel

          are these sparc emulators free for use?
          Can you send us a link to them?

          thanks
          ---------
          Marko

          > Toys, Books, Software. Save $10 on any order of $25 or more at
          > SmarterKids.com. Hurry, offer expires 1/15/00.

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=self-interest&m=1
        • John Ars
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 6 9:06 AM
            Some of them are free, others you have to pay for.

            Basilisk is free, and you can get it at:
            http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/BasiliskII/

            Fusion is about $50, the site is:
            http://www.microcode-solutions.com/pc/fusion/whatsnew/frame.htm

            Executor is more expensive, but you can download a demo. The site is:
            http://www.ardi.com/download.html

            Note that some of these products require a Mac ROM to work. If so,
            some of these sites explain how to get it from your machine. Note that
            you MUST use a ROM from a machine that you OWN, otherwise it's not
            legal. Please do not email me for one, as all such requests will be
            ignored.

            Take care,

            John

            ===================

            marko mikulicic <mmikulici-@...> wrote:

            > are these sparc emulators free for use?
            > Can you send us a link to them?
            >
            > thanks
            > ---------
            > Marko

          • Jecel Assumpcao Jr.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 6 11:06 AM
              Marko Mikulicic wrote:
              > are these sparc emulators free for use?
              > Can you send us a link to them?

              Here are some free ones that I found by searching for "sparc simulator" in
              www.google.com:

              http://www.estec.esa.nl/wsmwww/erc32/freesoft.html

              SIS is a SPARC instruction simulator developed at ESTEC/WSD. This simulator
              emulates an ERC32 system, containing the IU, FPU, MEC, up to 16 Mbyte ROM and
              up to 32 Mbyte RAM. Typical performance is 2 MIPS on a 400 MHz Pentium PC.
              Binaries for solaris-2.5 and Linux are available

              There were a lot of links to simics (http://www.simics.com) but since it needs
              a Sparc to run it doesn't help you very much...

              This is also the case for sky (http://www.base.com/gordoni/sky.html) and its
              predecessor, spa (http://www.base.com/gordoni/spa.html). I wasn't able to find
              out if shade
              (http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/compiler/papers.d/shade.html) runs on
              non sparc machines, but the links on this last pages were very interesting.

              I am sure there are many others, but I really doubt any of them would allow us
              to run Self on a PC.
              -- Jecel
              P.S.: today is Jan 6 - how is that "Self to PC portfest" coming along?