Re: [self-interest] Corrupt Clear.snap and demo.snap on Leopard

  • Russell Allen
    Message 1 of 5 , May 28, 2013
      Hi,

      I'm not sure what the issue is, but since you are on PPC, possibly something has gone wrong with the mechanism for saving generated machine code in the snapshot (which was built on x86)

      Try:

      self -F -s /library/self/0/Demo-4.4.snap

      which attempts to load while abandoning any included machine code.

      Otherwise, I suggest cloning the github tree, going to the objects directory and building a new snapshot from source:

      self -f worldBuilder.self

      (then "desktop open" to start the GUI)

      Cheers, Russell

      On 27/05/2013, at 9:33 PM, Galen <gltmailbox-self@...> wrote:

      I've just downloaded and installed Self for the first time on my PowerMac G5 running Leopard 10.5.8.

      At the shell prompt, the VM seems to work:

      $ selfSelf Virtual Machine Version 4.1.13, Sat 22 Nov 03 15:04:49 Mac OSXCopyright 1989-2003: The Self Group (type _Credits for credits)
      for PPC:  FastMapTest = falsefor PPC:  LogVMMessages = truefor PPC:  PrintScriptName  = truefor PPC:  Inline = truefor PPC:  SICDeferUncommonBranches = falsefor PPC:  SICReplaceOnStack = falsefor PPC:  SaveOutgoingArgumentsOfPatchedFrames = trueVM#^D

      But if I try to load a snapshot, either Clean.snap or demo.snap, I get this:

      $  self -s /library/self/0/Demo-4.4.snapSelf VM fatal error (/Users/russellallen/Git-All/vm/mac_osx/vm_project/../../src/any/memory/universe.cpp, line 544): Snapshot is corrupt near: New generation, file position: 0xffffffff
      VM Version: 4.1.13, Sat 22 Nov 03 15:04:49 Mac OSX
      Self process 19263 on GLTMac-2.local has crashed.Do you want to:   1) Quit Self (optionally attempting to write a snapshot)   2) Try to print the Self stack   3) Try to return to the Self prompt   4) Force a core dump   5) Print the interrupted context registersYour choice: 1Enter snapshot name (hit return to omit snapshot) > No snapshot specified, will skip this step$

      Some google searching turned up a problem that at first glance looked similar, but it appeared to be Windows-specific. It had to do with unix vs. windows line termination.

      Ideas on this one?

    • David Ungar
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2013
        Or it could be a bit- or byte- ordering bug, IIRC.

        - David
        Sent from my iPhone, tap tap

        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2013
          Suggest you build a new snapshot from scratch, by typing in

          'all2.self' _RunScript

          Assuming you have the .self files.

          - David
          Sent from my iPhone, tap tap