Problem installing Self 4.4 on Snow Leopard

  • sxyzh2
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2012
      Dear All

      Two colleagues and myself are getting the same problem installing Self 4.4 on Snow Leopard (in my case 10.6.8).

      Any tips gratefully received.

      1. The Mac OSX Self-4.4.pkg installer runs apparently OK.
      2. The Self VM and Droplet are duly installed in /Library/Self/0/
      3. However, there is no sign of the shell script in /usr/bin/Self.

      4. By using su (administrative permission is not enough) one can copy Clean-4.4.snap to /Library/Self/0/SelfDroplet.app and mark it as executable
      like so.

      bash-3.2# cd SelfDroplet.app
      bash-3.2# ls -al
      total 8992
      drwxr-xr-x 4 admin 501 136 14 Feb 18:18 .
      drwx------ 4 admin wheel 136 9 Feb 23:19 ..
      -rw-r--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
      drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents

      bash-3.2# chmod u+x Clean-4.4.snap

      -rwxr--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
      drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents
      bash-3.2#

      5. After which the command
      open Clean-4.4.snap
      causes an OS X dialog box to appear which says something like
      "are you sure you want to run this application downloaded from the internet?"
      But then the launch fails with error 10810 in the terminal window.

      6.Tried numerous other things but nothing works.

      Any tips gratefully received.
      Many thanks
    • Russell Allen
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2012
        Hi,

        I don't know why /usr/bin/Self hasn't been created properly, sorry.

        First step, is whether you can run images. Can you double-click the SelfDroplet.app? It should give you an open file dialog. Choose your Clean-4.4.snap (doesn't matter where that file is, or whether it is executable), and it should open the snapshot in the VM.

        If that works, then at least you have a VM.

        Secondly, to open a snapshot from the terminal, open a terminal, cd to the directory your Clean-4.4.snap file is (doesn't have to be any particular directory) and try the command:

        /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self -s Clean-4.4.snap

        (type 'quit' to quit the REPL)

        If both these work, then you have a VM and can run images. Otherwise something else is wrong as well.

        Thirdly, the file at /usr/bin/Self is just a small shellscript which is:

        #!/bin/sh
        /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self $@

        so if you create such a file with those contents and put it at /usr/bin/Self then you should have a system just as if the installer had worked.

        Russell

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 19, 2012
          Success starts at (iv) below!
          Unsuccessful steps on the way documented (i) to (iii), in case might help someone later.

          --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
          > Hi,
          > I don't know why /usr/bin/Self hasn't been created properly, sorry.
          > First step, is whether you can run images. Can you double-click the SelfDroplet.app? It should give you an open file dialog. Choose your Clean-4.4.snap (doesn't matter where that file is, or whether it is executable), and it should open the snapshot in the VM.
          > If that works, then at least you have a VM.

          Can't see how to enact that.

          (i)
          Although I have administrative access on the machine, I can only get into
          /Library/Self/0
          by going superuser. And I dont know how to make the OS X finder go super user
          for GUI operations. Hence can't see how to try double clicking on the SelfDroplet.app.

          (ii) I tried
          open SelfDroplet.app
          but that gave
          LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file
          /Library/Self/0/SelfDroplet.app.

          (iii) I had a go at copying SelfDroplet.app into a directory with less fierce permissions,
          but given all the many subparts this got bogged down in permission issues.

          > Secondly, to open a snapshot from the terminal, open a terminal, cd to the directory your Clean-4.4.snap file is

          (iv) For luck I copied Clean-4.4.snap into
          /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/

          (doesn't have to be any particular directory) and try the command:
          > /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self -s Clean-4.4.snap
          > (type 'quit' to quit the REPL)
          > If both these work, then you have a VM and can run images. Otherwise something else is wrong as well.

          (v) Oh yeah! That's doing the job!
          Legendary programming environment now running.
          Thanks so much for taking the trouble :-)

          > Thirdly, the file at /usr/bin/Self is just a small shellscript which is:
          > #!/bin/sh
          > /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self $@
          > so if you create such a file with those contents and put it at /usr/bin/Self then you should have a system just as if the installer had worked.
          > Russell

          (vi) Great tip -thanks!
          Most grateful, Russell
          Simon.

          > On 19/02/2012, at 2:01 AM, sxyzh2 wrote:
          > > Dear All
          > >
          > > Two colleagues and myself are getting the same problem installing Self 4.4 on Snow Leopard (in my case 10.6.8).
          > >
          > > Any tips gratefully received.
          > >
          > > 1. The Mac OSX Self-4.4.pkg installer runs apparently OK.
          > > 2. The Self VM and Droplet are duly installed in /Library/Self/0/
          > > 3. However, there is no sign of the shell script in /usr/bin/Self.
          > >
          > > 4. By using su (administrative permission is not enough) one can copy Clean-4.4.snap to /Library/Self/0/SelfDroplet.app and mark it as executable
          > > like so.
          > >
          > > bash-3.2# cd SelfDroplet.app
          > > bash-3.2# ls -al
          > > total 8992
          > > drwxr-xr-x 4 admin 501 136 14 Feb 18:18 .
          > > drwx------ 4 admin wheel 136 9 Feb 23:19 ..
          > > -rw-r--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
          > > drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents
          > >
          > > bash-3.2# chmod u+x Clean-4.4.snap
          > >
          > > bash-3.2# ls -al
          > > total 8992
          > > drwxr-xr-x 4 admin 501 136 14 Feb 18:18 .
          > > drwx------ 4 admin wheel 136 9 Feb 23:19 ..
          > > -rwxr--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
          > > drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents
          > > bash-3.2#
          > >
          > > 5. After which the command
          > > open Clean-4.4.snap
          > > causes an OS X dialog box to appear which says something like
          > > "are you sure you want to run this application downloaded from the internet?"
          > > But then the launch fails with error 10810 in the terminal window.
          > >
          > > 6.Tried numerous other things but nothing works.
          > >
          > > Any tips gratefully received.
          > > Many thanks

        • David Ungar
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 19, 2012
            Thanks for trying Self, and thanks, Russell!!

            - David (from iPad, typos likely)

            On Feb 19, 2012, at 7:50 AM, sxyzh2 <sxyzh2@...> wrote:

            Success starts at (iv) below!
            Unsuccessful steps on the way documented (i) to (iii), in case might help someone later.

            --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > I don't know why /usr/bin/Self hasn't been created properly, sorry.
            > First step, is whether you can run images. Can you double-click the SelfDroplet.app? It should give you an open file dialog. Choose your Clean-4.4.snap (doesn't matter where that file is, or whether it is executable), and it should open the snapshot in the VM.
            > If that works, then at least you have a VM.

            Can't see how to enact that.

            (i)
            Although I have administrative access on the machine, I can only get into
            /Library/Self/0
            by going superuser. And I dont know how to make the OS X finder go super user
            for GUI operations. Hence can't see how to try double clicking on the SelfDroplet.app.

            (ii) I tried
            open SelfDroplet.app
            but that gave
            LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file
            /Library/Self/0/SelfDroplet.app.

            (iii) I had a go at copying SelfDroplet.app into a directory with less fierce permissions,
            but given all the many subparts this got bogged down in permission issues.

            > Secondly, to open a snapshot from the terminal, open a terminal, cd to the directory your Clean-4.4.snap file is

            (iv) For luck I copied Clean-4.4.snap into
            /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/

            (doesn't have to be any particular directory) and try the command:
            > /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self -s Clean-4.4.snap
            > (type 'quit' to quit the REPL)
            > If both these work, then you have a VM and can run images. Otherwise something else is wrong as well.

            (v) Oh yeah! That's doing the job!
            Legendary programming environment now running.
            Thanks so much for taking the trouble :-)

            > Thirdly, the file at /usr/bin/Self is just a small shellscript which is:
            > #!/bin/sh
            > /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self $@
            > so if you create such a file with those contents and put it at /usr/bin/Self then you should have a system just as if the installer had worked.
            > Russell

            (vi) Great tip -thanks!
            Most grateful, Russell
            Simon.

            > On 19/02/2012, at 2:01 AM, sxyzh2 wrote:
            > > Dear All
            > >
            > > Two colleagues and myself are getting the same problem installing Self 4.4 on Snow Leopard (in my case 10.6.8).
            > >
            > > Any tips gratefully received.
            > >
            > > 1. The Mac OSX Self-4.4.pkg installer runs apparently OK.
            > > 2. The Self VM and Droplet are duly installed in /Library/Self/0/
            > > 3. However, there is no sign of the shell script in /usr/bin/Self.
            > >
            > > 4. By using su (administrative permission is not enough) one can copy Clean-4.4.snap to /Library/Self/0/SelfDroplet.app and mark it as executable
            > > like so.
            > >
            > > bash-3.2# cd SelfDroplet.app
            > > bash-3.2# ls -al
            > > total 8992
            > > drwxr-xr-x 4 admin 501 136 14 Feb 18:18 .
            > > drwx------ 4 admin wheel 136 9 Feb 23:19 ..
            > > -rw-r--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
            > > drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents
            > >
            > > bash-3.2# chmod u+x Clean-4.4.snap
            > >
            > > bash-3.2# ls -al
            > > total 8992
            > > drwxr-xr-x 4 admin 501 136 14 Feb 18:18 .
            > > drwx------ 4 admin wheel 136 9 Feb 23:19 ..
            > > -rwxr--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
            > > drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents
            > > bash-3.2#
            > >
            > > 5. After which the command
            > > open Clean-4.4.snap
            > > causes an OS X dialog box to appear which says something like
            > > "are you sure you want to run this application downloaded from the internet?"
            > > But then the launch fails with error 10810 in the terminal window.
            > >
            > > 6.Tried numerous other things but nothing works.
            > >
            > > Any tips gratefully received.
            > > Many thanks

          • sxyzh2
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2012
              Thanks again, Russell, and Hi to David and Randy.

              I'm hoping to do some moderately amusing work
              that needs to refer to Self,  and for which I need to make sure that
              I understand its basic expressivity and mechanisms.
              But it will take several months.

              Really pleased to see the new Self Handbook - great job Russell.

              Cheers
              Simon Holland

              On 19 Feb 2012, at 17:59, David Ungar wrote:

              Thanks for trying Self, and thanks, Russell!!

              - David (from iPad, typos likely)

              On Feb 19, 2012, at 7:50 AM, sxyzh2 <sxyzh2@...> wrote:

              Success starts at (iv) below!
              Unsuccessful steps on the way documented (i) to (iii), in case might help someone later.

              --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > I don't know why /usr/bin/Self hasn't been created properly, sorry.
              > First step, is whether you can run images. Can you double-click the SelfDroplet.app? It should give you an open file dialog. Choose your Clean-4.4.snap (doesn't matter where that file is, or whether it is executable), and it should open the snapshot in the VM.
              > If that works, then at least you have a VM.

              Can't see how to enact that.

              (i)
              Although I have administrative access on the machine, I can only get into
              /Library/Self/0
              by going superuser. And I dont know how to make the OS X finder go super user
              for GUI operations. Hence can't see how to try double clicking on the SelfDroplet.app.

              (ii) I tried
              open SelfDroplet.app
              but that gave
              LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file
              /Library/Self/0/SelfDroplet.app.

              (iii) I had a go at copying SelfDroplet.app into a directory with less fierce permissions,
              but given all the many subparts this got bogged down in permission issues.

              > Secondly, to open a snapshot from the terminal, open a terminal, cd to the directory your Clean-4.4.snap file is

              (iv) For luck I copied Clean-4.4.snap into
              /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/

              (doesn't have to be any particular directory) and try the command:
              > /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self -s Clean-4.4.snap
              > (type 'quit' to quit the REPL)
              > If both these work, then you have a VM and can run images. Otherwise something else is wrong as well.

              (v) Oh yeah! That's doing the job!
              Legendary programming environment now running.
              Thanks so much for taking the trouble :-)

              > Thirdly, the file at /usr/bin/Self is just a small shellscript which is:
              > #!/bin/sh
              > /Library/Self/0/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self $@
              > so if you create such a file with those contents and put it at /usr/bin/Self then you should have a system just as if the installer had worked.
              > Russell

              (vi) Great tip -thanks!
              Most grateful, Russell
              Simon.

              > On 19/02/2012, at 2:01 AM, sxyzh2 wrote:
              > > Dear All
              > >
              > > Two colleagues and myself are getting the same problem installing Self 4.4 on Snow Leopard (in my case 10.6.8).
              > >
              > > Any tips gratefully received.
              > >
              > > 1. The Mac OSX Self-4.4.pkg installer runs apparently OK.
              > > 2. The Self VM and Droplet are duly installed in /Library/Self/0/
              > > 3. However, there is no sign of the shell script in /usr/bin/Self.
              > >
              > > 4. By using su (administrative permission is not enough) one can copy Clean-4.4.snap to /Library/Self/0/SelfDroplet.app and mark it as executable
              > > like so.
              > >
              > > bash-3.2# cd SelfDroplet.app
              > > bash-3.2# ls -al
              > > total 8992
              > > drwxr-xr-x 4 admin 501 136 14 Feb 18:18 .
              > > drwx------ 4 admin wheel 136 9 Feb 23:19 ..
              > > -rw-r--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
              > > drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents
              > >
              > > bash-3.2# chmod u+x Clean-4.4.snap
              > >
              > > bash-3.2# ls -al
              > > total 8992
              > > drwxr-xr-x 4 admin 501 136 14 Feb 18:18 .
              > > drwx------ 4 admin wheel 136 9 Feb 23:19 ..
              > > -rwxr--r--@ 1 root 501 4600436 14 Feb 18:18 Clean-4.4.snap
              > > drwxr-xr-x 6 admin 501 204 14 Feb 17:32 Contents
              > > bash-3.2#
              > >
              > > 5. After which the command
              > > open Clean-4.4.snap
              > > causes an OS X dialog box to appear which says something like
              > > "are you sure you want to run this application downloaded from the internet?"
              > > But then the launch fails with error 10810 in the terminal window.
              > >
              > > 6.Tried numerous other things but nothing works.
              > >
              > > Any tips gratefully received.
              > > Many thanks

            • Tobias Pape
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 21, 2012
                Hi,

                Am 2012-02-19 um 08:09 schrieb Russell Allen:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I don't know why /usr/bin/Self hasn't been created properly, sorry.

                I've looked into the Self-4.4.pkg and apparently, there is no
                indication of that shell script whatsoever. I installed that
                package on 10.6, too and am missing the shell script likewise.
                Is there any older package I can have a look at?

                After all, wouldn't be /usr/local/bin be a better place
                for that script?

                Best
                -Tobias
              • Russell Allen
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 21, 2012
                  Hmm. Maybe something is wrong with the installer as built.

                  I have plans for a different approach to distribution of the Mac VM for 4.5 that doesn't require this installation step, in any case, because people don't like the requirement to enter their password. It's just a little slow because I don't know Cocoa very well and so it seems insanely complicated and brittle to me :)

                  Russell

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 21, 2012
                    Am 2012-02-21 um 23:01 schrieb Russell Allen:

                    > Hmm. Maybe something is wrong with the installer as built.
                    >
                    > I have plans for a different approach to distribution of the Mac VM for 4.5 that doesn't require this installation step, in any case, because people don't like the requirement to enter their password. It's just a little slow because I don't know Cocoa very well and so it seems insanely complicated and brittle to me :)

                    Which part exactly?

                    Best
                    -Tobias
                  • Russell Allen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 21, 2012
                      As I said I don't really know Cocoa so my comments are more a cry of frustration than a considered critique :)

                      But at the moment I'm having problems getting my IBOutlets to be anything except nil.  If a system includes all the necessary components for using it, then clearly Cocoa includes Google and Stackoverflow!

                      Russell