ARM?

  • Jeremiah S. Junken
    Message 1 of 60 , Dec 5, 2011
      has anyone successfully run Self 4.x on an ARM architecture?

      --
      Jeremiah S. Junken
    • David Ungar
      Message 60 of 60 , Dec 22, 2011
        Think varargs:  value: x = (value) allows blocks and others to ignore arguments they don't care about.

        Take care,

        -- David (tapped out on my iPhone; blame it for any typoze;-)

        On Dec 22, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Thorsten Dittmar <thormar@...> wrote:

        Hello David,

        for the object 17 and the method value it makes sense, but the object 17 and the method value: x it doesn't make so much sense. I always get a little bit nervous, when an object can response to a meaningless message. In our case it will answer again 17 because value: x is implemented as "self value". It would prefer to get an error, because it is much more difficult to find an error in a system that "works".

        anyhow,  I got your intention and that was what I was asking for. Thx for answering

        best regards

        thorsten

        On Dec 22, 2011, at 5:43 PM, David Ungar wrote:

        What is the value of 17? Or of 'foo' ? We thought it made sense that the value of 17 is 17.
        That way you can write:  max: x = ( > x ifTrue: self IfFalse: x )
        without square brackets. The value method gets inlined out, anyway.
        After all, 17 knows it's not a block.

        - David (from iPad, typos likely)

        On Dec 22, 2011, at 8:12 AM, Thorsten Dittmar <thormar@...> wrote:

        Hello folks,

        I was always wondering why value and value with parameters was implemented in defaultBehavior and not in the trait block. Of course, that can make some stuff easier, but it looks a little bit like a dirty hack. Would be nice, if somebody can tell me a little bit the background of this implementation.

        thx