Scrolling worlds

  • Chris Double
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2010
      I like the way Self worlds work with the 'infinite size' approach, and
      using radar morphs, etc to get a birds eye view and scroll around. I do
      find it a bit difficult to quickly scroll the world in some direction to
      get a bit of extra space though.

      I decided to try some things out and lately I've been using a small
      change to scroll the world by dragging with the right mouse button. I
      have a patch to do it here:

      http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/self/scroll-world.patch

      It is also in my github repository in the 'scroll-world' branch:

      http://github.com/doublec/self/tree/scroll-world

      With this patch applied you can right click and drag the world
      background to move around. I chose right click since left click is
      already taken with selection of morphs.

      This model of scrolling would also work quite well on a touchscreen
      based device. Adding kinetic scrolling would be interesting for
      'flicking' the desktop around.

      Is there functionality that does something like this already in the Self
      system? Does anyone have their own 'hacks' for moving around the world?

      Chris.
      --
      http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz
    • Russell Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2010

        Hi Chris,

        When I’m on my Mac I can scroll left/right up/down by using two fingers on the trackpad which is very handy.  It was only after I worked out to do this that the general lack of scroll bars started to make sense. It seems that scrolling is a very important part of Morphic and needs to be as simple as possible.

        On Linux under VMWare I can do that for up/down but left/right doesn’t work at the moment.  I think this should also work if you have a middle scroll wheel mouse.

        What I’d love would be something like Expose – I’d press a key and get a fullscreen radar morph which I could click on to instantly jump to the place I wanted.

        It’s unfortunate that Self probably won’t ever be on an iPad, but hopefully some other touchpad will come out that we can run it on.

        Russell