Self 4.4 Alpha 2 Release

  • Russell Allen
    Message 1 of 20 , May 9, 2009
      Hi all,

      To keep things ticking over, I've released a new alpha of 4.4.

      The difference from the first alpha are:

      - When you double-click snapshots on MacOS X they will open without
      the Terminal.app. This allows Self snapshots to behave as though they
      were 'normal' MacOS applications (or executable jar files in Java).
      You can of course run Snapshots from the terminal if you wish, either
      by making them executable and running them or by 'Self -s Clean.snap'

      - The Demo.snap is back!

      - The VM version number has been incremented so that previous 4.3
      snapshots (and, unfortunately, 4.4 alpha 1 snapshots) will not run.
      This is necessary because the vm was previously attempting to run old
      snapshots, but failing in random ways (mostly connected with changes
      in the MacOS X primitives)

      When I get a 4.4 VM built on Sparc Solaris, I will release a beta.

      Until then, I am very interested in any feedback that you can give me.

      There are known issues with keyboard behaviour; these haven't been
      fixed yet.

      Download 4.4 Alpha 2 from selflanguage.org

      Cheers,

      Russell
      Message 2 of 20 , May 11, 2009
        Russell,

        congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac version (if
        it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also test
        Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old machine).

        I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't very
        familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
        strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening would be
        to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org

        -- Jecel
      • Jeremiah S. Junken

          Message 4 of 20 , May 12, 2009
            I don't really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is a good idea.

            I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage.org and get it listed on planet.smalltalk.org

            I will need some volunteers to help to provide blog posts...

            On 12/05/2009, at 12:37 PM, Jeremiah S. Junken wrote:

            perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or something?

            On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

            Russell,

            congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac version (if
            it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also test
            Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old machine).

            I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't very
            familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
            strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening would be
            to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org

            -- Jecel

          • Adam Spitz
            Message 5 of 20 , May 12, 2009
              What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in?

              I'd be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein, if you think people might be interested.

              Adam

              --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:

              > I don't really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is
              > a good idea.
              >
              > I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage.org and get it
              > listed on planet.smalltalk.org
              >
              > I will need some volunteers to help to provide blog posts...
              >

              > On 12/05/2009, at 12:37 PM, Jeremiah S. Junken wrote:
              >

              > > perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or
              > > something?
              > >
              > > On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
              > >

              > >> Russell,
              > >>
              > >> congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac
              > >> version (if
              > >> it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also
              > >> test
              > >> Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old
              > >> machine).
              > >>
              > >> I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't
              > >> very
              > >> familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
              > >> strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening
              > >> would be
              > >> to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org
              > >>
              > >> -- Jecel

            • Russell Allen
              Message 6 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                I'm guessing that what people would be looking for would be evidence of life and community and insight into what Self is like to actually develop in.

                I get the impression that Self is sometimes considered an interesting technology demo and not a real system.

                You experiences with Self and Klein should be perfect.

                On 13/05/2009, at 8:04 AM, "Adam Spitz" <adam.spitz@...> wrote:

                What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in?

                I'd be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein, if you think people might be interested.

                Adam

                --- In self-interest@ yahoogroups. com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:

                > I don't really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is
                > a good idea.
                >
                > I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage .org and get it
                > listed on planet.smalltalk. org
                >
                > I will need some volunteers to help to provide blog posts...
                >

                > On 12/05/2009, at 12:37 PM, Jeremiah S. Junken wrote:
                >

                > > perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or
                > > something?
                > >
                > > On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
                > >

                > >> Russell,
                > >>
                > >> congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac
                > >> version (if
                > >> it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also
                > >> test
                > >> Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old
                > >> machine).
                > >>
                > >> I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't
                > >> very
                > >> familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
                > >> strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening
                > >> would be
                > >> to have some blog posts show up at http://planet. smalltalk. org
                > >>
                > >> -- Jecel

              • Steve Dekorte
                Message 7 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                  On 2009-05-12, at 3:04 PM, Adam Spitz wrote:
                  > What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in?
                  >
                  > I'd be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein,
                  > if you think people might be interested.

                  I'd like to see performance stats - stuff like message sends per second.
                • Jeremiah S. Junken
                  Message 8 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                    I certainly would be very interested!