[self-interest] non-english keyboard (mac)

  • Jéraume
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2009
      hi,
      I'm new to self, so I downloaded the latest stable version and followed the instructions. I dropped "demo.snap" on "selfdroplet.app" and tried to play around with the gasTank example, as indicated. I'm supposed to type :
      HeatUp= (atoms do:[| a velocity: a velocity *1.5].self)
      Now, I use the French setting for the keyboard on my mac, and get strange results. I have no problem typing letters, but I just can't get the square brackets. On a French keyboard, it's on shift+alt+5 and shift+alt+° (the key on the right of the 0). I have to switch to an american keyboard setting to get these characters. Same problem with |, which is shift+Alt+l. This is unfortunate, since some letters are not at the same place on the French and American keyboards. The first row of letters begins with "AZERTY" instead of "QWERTY" for instance (whereas many other local keyboard differ only by non-letter characters).
      The obvious solution is to use the american keyboard setting with the keyboard viewer application to help me find the right keys, but that' s not very comfortable, especially after learning to type with 10 fingers ;)
      I'm using the latest mac os, OSX 10.5.6 on an Intel mac, with a french keyboard.
      Is there a way to correct this or should I way for a newer version?
      Jérome
    • Russell Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12, 2009
        Hi Jéraume,

        You could try out the new 4.4 alpha. It probably doesn't solve your
        keyboard problem though. I'll have a look around and see if I can track
        down the problem.

        Cheers, Russell