Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Self Website - selflanguage.org

Expand Messages
  • Russell Allen
    Dear all, As part of an effort to get Self moving again and as a precursor to a new release, we now have a new official Self website at:
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 24, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Dear all,

      As part of an effort to get Self moving again and as a precursor to a
      new release, we now have a new official Self website at:

      http://selflanguage.org

      This site will hopefully be the focal point of Self related information.
      I will be changing the links to self.sourceforge.net where I am able
      (ie in Wikipedia etc).

      I would be greatful if you could all:

      - link to this site when talking about Self on blogs etc. Self does not
      have the most 'google-able' name so this would help people find Self and
      Self related materials.

      - send me any relevant links or information to add to the site.

      A technical note: selflanguage.org is built from the Git repository at
      http://github.com/russellallen/self/tree/website using the Sphinx
      documentation system recently developed to handle the documentation
      needs of Python. If you have suggested changes, please either email
      them to me or alternatively fork a copy of the repository on GitHub,
      make your changes and I can then pull them into the main repo.

      Best,

      Russell
    • Adam Spitz
      Russell, thanks for doing all of this stuff! It s about time we had our own domain name. :) I ve set up the old website (self.sourceforge.net) to redirect to
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 25, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Russell, thanks for doing all of this stuff! It's about time we had our own domain name. :)

        I've set up the old website (self.sourceforge.net) to redirect to the new one.

        Does anybody in the community have strong feelings about CVS versus Git, or SourceForge
        versus GitHub? Would GitHub be a better place to host the "official" Self source-code
        repository?


        Adam



        --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
        >
        > Dear all,
        >
        > As part of an effort to get Self moving again and as a precursor to a
        > new release, we now have a new official Self website at:
        >
        > http://selflanguage.org
        >
        > This site will hopefully be the focal point of Self related information.
        > I will be changing the links to self.sourceforge.net where I am able
        > (ie in Wikipedia etc).
        >
        > I would be greatful if you could all:
        >
        > - link to this site when talking about Self on blogs etc. Self does not
        > have the most 'google-able' name so this would help people find Self and
        > Self related materials.
        >
        > - send me any relevant links or information to add to the site.
        >
        > A technical note: selflanguage.org is built from the Git repository at
        > http://github.com/russellallen/self/tree/website using the Sphinx
        > documentation system recently developed to handle the documentation
        > needs of Python. If you have suggested changes, please either email
        > them to me or alternatively fork a copy of the repository on GitHub,
        > make your changes and I can then pull them into the main repo.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Russell
        >
      • Josh Flowers
        Yeah, thank you Russell - the site s very nice.
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 25, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          Yeah, thank you Russell - the site's very nice.

          > Russell, thanks for doing all of this stuff! It's about time we had
          > our own domain name. :)
          >
          > I've set up the old website (self.sourceforge.net) to redirect to
          > the new one.
          >
          > Does anybody in the community have strong feelings about CVS versus
          > Git, or SourceForge
          > versus GitHub? Would GitHub be a better place to host the "official"
          > Self source-code
          > repository?
          >
          >
          > Adam
          >
          >
          >
          > --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Dear all,
          >>
          >> As part of an effort to get Self moving again and as a precursor to a
          >> new release, we now have a new official Self website at:
          >>
          >> http://selflanguage.org
          >>
          >> This site will hopefully be the focal point of Self related
          >> information.
          >> I will be changing the links to self.sourceforge.net where I am able
          >> (ie in Wikipedia etc).
          >>
          >> I would be greatful if you could all:
          >>
          >> - link to this site when talking about Self on blogs etc. Self
          >> does not
          >> have the most 'google-able' name so this would help people find
          >> Self and
          >> Self related materials.
          >>
          >> - send me any relevant links or information to add to the site.
          >>
          >> A technical note: selflanguage.org is built from the Git repository
          >> at
          >> http://github.com/russellallen/self/tree/website using the Sphinx
          >> documentation system recently developed to handle the documentation
          >> needs of Python. If you have suggested changes, please either email
          >> them to me or alternatively fork a copy of the repository on GitHub,
          >> make your changes and I can then pull them into the main repo.
          >>
          >> Best,
          >>
          >> Russell
          >>
          >
          >
          >
          >
          > ------------------------------------
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >
          >
          >
        • Bergel, Alexandre
          Thanks Russell for this nice website. Cheers, Alexandre ... -- _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;: Alexandre Bergel http://www.bergel.eu
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 26, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Thanks Russell for this nice website.

            Cheers,
            Alexandre


            On 25 Jan 2009, at 07:50, Russell Allen wrote:

            > Dear all,
            >
            > As part of an effort to get Self moving again and as a precursor to a
            > new release, we now have a new official Self website at:
            >
            > http://selflanguage.org
            >
            > This site will hopefully be the focal point of Self related
            > information.
            > I will be changing the links to self.sourceforge.net where I am able
            > (ie in Wikipedia etc).
            >
            > I would be greatful if you could all:
            >
            > - link to this site when talking about Self on blogs etc. Self does
            > not
            > have the most 'google-able' name so this would help people find Self
            > and
            > Self related materials.
            >
            > - send me any relevant links or information to add to the site.
            >
            > A technical note: selflanguage.org is built from the Git repository at
            > http://github.com/russellallen/self/tree/website using the Sphinx
            > documentation system recently developed to handle the documentation
            > needs of Python. If you have suggested changes, please either email
            > them to me or alternatively fork a copy of the repository on GitHub,
            > make your changes and I can then pull them into the main repo.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Russell
            >
            >

            --
            _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
            Alexandre Bergel http://www.bergel.eu
            ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.
          • J. Baltasar García Perez-Schofield
            Hi ! ... The new site is awesome. Will it be a version of Self for Linux x86? Salud ! Baltasar -- PBC -- J. Baltasar García Perez-Schofield jbgarcia en uvigo
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 26, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi !

              > Thanks Russell for this nice website.

              The new site is awesome.
              Will it be a version of Self for Linux x86?

              Salud !

              Baltasar

              --
              PBC -- J. Baltasar García Perez-Schofield
              jbgarcia en uvigo de es http://webs.uvigo.es/jbgarcia/
              Dep. Informática, Universidad de Vigo, España (Spain)
            • Russell Allen
              Hi Baltasar, I m planning to get an alpha release of Self for Linux x86 out in a few days. Best, Russell Sent from my iPhone On 26/01/2009, at 7:22 PM, J.
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 26, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Baltasar,

                I'm planning to get an alpha release of Self for Linux x86 out in a few days.

                Best,

                Russell

                Sent from my iPhone

                On 26/01/2009, at 7:22 PM, "J. Baltasar" García Perez-Schofield <jbgarcia@...> wrote:


                Hi !

                > Thanks Russell for this nice website.

                The new site is awesome.
                Will it be a version of Self for Linux x86?

                Salud !

                Baltasar

                --
                PBC -- J. Baltasar García Perez-Schofield
                jbgarcia en uvigo de es http://webs.uvigo.es/ jbgarcia/
                Dep. Informática, Universidad de Vigo, España (Spain)

              • Jecel Assumpcao Jr
                ... I have added this to http://www.merlintec.com:8080/Self and have re-enabled editing for this swiki (I had locked it a few years ago due to spam). There is
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 28, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  Russell Allen wrote:
                  > As part of an effort to get Self moving again and as a precursor to a
                  > new release, we now have a new official Self website at:
                  >
                  > http://selflanguage.org

                  I have added this to http://www.merlintec.com:8080/Self and have
                  re-enabled editing for this swiki (I had locked it a few years ago due
                  to spam). There is a lot of outdated information there (it says 4.2 is
                  the latest release, for example) so it might be better to have
                  everything in a central place by copying anything interesting from there
                  to your new site. And also everything from the Sun site to the new one.

                  On a related issue, about a week ago my old university deleted my web
                  pages (at least it seems so, and given that I left 10 years ago it was
                  to be expected) so I have been changing all
                  http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/ references to
                  http://www.merlintec.com/lsi/ (my mirror). Note that since September
                  2008 my project is no longer based on Self (Neo Smalltalk, previously
                  called Self/R) but on Squeak Smalltalk instead. That doesn't mean that
                  my interest in Self is any less than before, however.

                  -- Jecel
                • Russell Allen
                  Hi guys, I haven t been able to find the time to put together a fully functional release, but I have noticed that there have been a large number of hits to the
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 5 8:02 PM
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Hi guys,

                    I haven't been able to find the time to put together a fully functional
                    release, but I have noticed that there have been a large number of hits
                    to the new website (55,047 pages since launch), so I've put together an
                    initial alpha to get things moving.

                    Download it from selflanguage.org

                    What we have is:

                    - Working MacOS X VM with installer
                    - Working Linux x86 VM
                    - Freshly built Clean.snap

                    Currently missing is:

                    - an updated Demo.snap
                    - Sparc and Intel Solaris VMs. I don't have easy access to a Sparc
                    machine and would greatly appreciate it if someone who does could help
                    out. It would be a great pity to have to abandon Self's first platform!
                    - release documentation, notes etc.

                    Please read the short ReadMe file!

                    Unfortunately the Snapshot and MacOS X VM form a pair; you can't open
                    Clean.snap in a 4.3 VM so be wary if you already have a 4.3 VM on your
                    system that your Mac doesn't try to use it instead of the new one. How
                    to handle VM versioning is a subject I'd like to discuss with anyone
                    with experience in it.

                    This is an initial alpha and hasn't been tested. Everything is up for
                    change including distribution methods, packaging etc. Please comment
                    and try out; in particular please sing out if the Linux VM doesn't work
                    on your distro.

                    Best,

                    Russell
                  • Jan Vrany
                    Hi, good job! There are several Solaris/SPARC machines at my uni. Maybe I ll able to manage dedicated Solaris zone (kind of virtual machine) for you on one of
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 5 11:10 PM
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Hi,

                      good job!
                      There are several Solaris/SPARC machines at my uni.
                      Maybe I'll able to manage dedicated Solaris zone
                      (kind of virtual machine) for you on one of that
                      machines. I'll ask our admins next week.

                      Regards, Jan



                      On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 15:02 +1100, Russell Allen wrote:
                      > Hi guys,
                      >
                      > I haven't been able to find the time to put together a fully
                      > functional
                      > release, but I have noticed that there have been a large number of
                      > hits
                      > to the new website (55,047 pages since launch), so I've put together
                      > an
                      > initial alpha to get things moving.
                      >
                      > Download it from selflanguage.org
                      >
                      > What we have is:
                      >
                      > - Working MacOS X VM with installer
                      > - Working Linux x86 VM
                      > - Freshly built Clean.snap
                      >
                      > Currently missing is:
                      >
                      > - an updated Demo.snap
                      > - Sparc and Intel Solaris VMs. I don't have easy access to a Sparc
                      > machine and would greatly appreciate it if someone who does could
                      > help
                      > out. It would be a great pity to have to abandon Self's first
                      > platform!
                      > - release documentation, notes etc.
                      >
                      > Please read the short ReadMe file!
                      >
                      > Unfortunately the Snapshot and MacOS X VM form a pair; you can't open
                      > Clean.snap in a 4.3 VM so be wary if you already have a 4.3 VM on
                      > your
                      > system that your Mac doesn't try to use it instead of the new one.
                      > How
                      > to handle VM versioning is a subject I'd like to discuss with anyone
                      > with experience in it.
                      >
                      > This is an initial alpha and hasn't been tested. Everything is up for
                      > change including distribution methods, packaging etc. Please comment
                      > and try out; in particular please sing out if the Linux VM doesn't
                      > work
                      > on your distro.
                      >
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Russell
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >
                    • John Leuner
                      ... Is there a source tarball for this alpha release? John
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 6 1:23 AM
                      • 0 Attachment
                        > so I've put together an
                        > initial alpha to get things moving.

                        Is there a source tarball for this alpha release?

                        John

                        > Download it from selflanguage.org
                        >
                        > What we have is:
                        >
                        > - Working MacOS X VM with installer
                        > - Working Linux x86 VM
                        > - Freshly built Clean.snap
                        >
                        > Currently missing is:
                        >
                        > - an updated Demo.snap
                        > - Sparc and Intel Solaris VMs. I don't have easy access to a Sparc
                        > machine and would greatly appreciate it if someone who does could
                        > help
                        > out. It would be a great pity to have to abandon Self's first
                        > platform!
                        > - release documentation, notes etc.
                        >
                        > Please read the short ReadMe file!
                        >
                        > Unfortunately the Snapshot and MacOS X VM form a pair; you can't open
                        > Clean.snap in a 4.3 VM so be wary if you already have a 4.3 VM on
                        > your
                        > system that your Mac doesn't try to use it instead of the new one.
                        > How
                        > to handle VM versioning is a subject I'd like to discuss with anyone
                        > with experience in it.
                        >
                        > This is an initial alpha and hasn't been tested. Everything is up for
                        > change including distribution methods, packaging etc. Please comment
                        > and try out; in particular please sing out if the Linux VM doesn't
                        > work
                        > on your distro.
                        >
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Russell
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                      • Russell Allen
                        Hi Jan, Thanks, that would be great if possible. Russell
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 7 5:54 PM
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hi Jan,

                          Thanks, that would be great if possible.

                          Russell

                          Jan Vrany wrote:
                          >
                          >
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > good job!
                          > There are several Solaris/SPARC machines at my uni.
                          > Maybe I'll able to manage dedicated Solaris zone
                          > (kind of virtual machine) for you on one of that
                          > machines. I'll ask our admins next week.
                          >
                          > Regards, Jan
                          >
                          > On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 15:02 +1100, Russell Allen wrote:
                          > > Hi guys,
                          > >
                          > > I haven't been able to find the time to put together a fully
                          > > functional
                          > > release, but I have noticed that there have been a large number of
                          > > hits
                          > > to the new website (55,047 pages since launch), so I've put together
                          > > an
                          > > initial alpha to get things moving.
                          > >
                          > > Download it from selflanguage.org
                          > >
                          > > What we have is:
                          > >
                          > > - Working MacOS X VM with installer
                          > > - Working Linux x86 VM
                          > > - Freshly built Clean.snap
                          > >
                          > > Currently missing is:
                          > >
                          > > - an updated Demo.snap
                          > > - Sparc and Intel Solaris VMs. I don't have easy access to a Sparc
                          > > machine and would greatly appreciate it if someone who does could
                          > > help
                          > > out. It would be a great pity to have to abandon Self's first
                          > > platform!
                          > > - release documentation, notes etc.
                          > >
                          > > Please read the short ReadMe file!
                          > >
                          > > Unfortunately the Snapshot and MacOS X VM form a pair; you can't open
                          > > Clean.snap in a 4.3 VM so be wary if you already have a 4.3 VM on
                          > > your
                          > > system that your Mac doesn't try to use it instead of the new one.
                          > > How
                          > > to handle VM versioning is a subject I'd like to discuss with anyone
                          > > with experience in it.
                          > >
                          > > This is an initial alpha and hasn't been tested. Everything is up for
                          > > change including distribution methods, packaging etc. Please comment
                          > > and try out; in particular please sing out if the Linux VM doesn't
                          > > work
                          > > on your distro.
                          > >
                          > > Best,
                          > >
                          > > Russell
                        • Russell Allen
                          Hi John, I ve put a source tarball up and a link from the Downloads page at http://selflanguage.org. The other option is to clone the Git repository at GitHub
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 7 5:57 PM
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Hi John,

                            I've put a source tarball up and a link from the Downloads page at
                            http://selflanguage.org

                            The other option is to clone the Git repository at GitHub -
                            http://github.com/russellallen/self/tree/master

                            The 4.4.alpha1 tag corresponds to the tarball.

                            Best,

                            Russell

                            John Leuner wrote:
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > > so I've put together an
                            > > initial alpha to get things moving.
                            >
                            > Is there a source tarball for this alpha release?
                            >
                            > John
                            >
                            > > Download it from selflanguage.org
                            > >
                            > > What we have is:
                            > >
                            > > - Working MacOS X VM with installer
                            > > - Working Linux x86 VM
                            > > - Freshly built Clean.snap
                            > >
                            > > Currently missing is:
                            > >
                            > > - an updated Demo.snap
                            > > - Sparc and Intel Solaris VMs. I don't have easy access to a Sparc
                            > > machine and would greatly appreciate it if someone who does could
                            > > help
                            > > out. It would be a great pity to have to abandon Self's first
                            > > platform!
                            > > - release documentation, notes etc.
                            > >
                            > > Please read the short ReadMe file!
                            > >
                            > > Unfortunately the Snapshot and MacOS X VM form a pair; you can't open
                            > > Clean.snap in a 4.3 VM so be wary if you already have a 4.3 VM on
                            > > your
                            > > system that your Mac doesn't try to use it instead of the new one.
                            > > How
                            > > to handle VM versioning is a subject I'd like to discuss with anyone
                            > > with experience in it.
                            > >
                            > > This is an initial alpha and hasn't been tested. Everything is up for
                            > > change including distribution methods, packaging etc. Please comment
                            > > and try out; in particular please sing out if the Linux VM doesn't
                            > > work
                            > > on your distro.
                            > >
                            > > Best,
                            > >
                            > > Russell
                          • Russell Allen
                            Hi all, To keep things ticking over, I ve released a new alpha of 4.4. The difference from the first alpha are: - When you double-click snapshots on MacOS X
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 9, 2009
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Hi all,

                              To keep things ticking over, I've released a new alpha of 4.4.

                              The difference from the first alpha are:

                              - When you double-click snapshots on MacOS X they will open without
                              the Terminal.app. This allows Self snapshots to behave as though they
                              were 'normal' MacOS applications (or executable jar files in Java).
                              You can of course run Snapshots from the terminal if you wish, either
                              by making them executable and running them or by 'Self -s Clean.snap'

                              - The Demo.snap is back!

                              - The VM version number has been incremented so that previous 4.3
                              snapshots (and, unfortunately, 4.4 alpha 1 snapshots) will not run.
                              This is necessary because the vm was previously attempting to run old
                              snapshots, but failing in random ways (mostly connected with changes
                              in the MacOS X primitives)

                              When I get a 4.4 VM built on Sparc Solaris, I will release a beta.

                              Until then, I am very interested in any feedback that you can give me.

                              There are known issues with keyboard behaviour; these haven't been
                              fixed yet.

                              Download 4.4 Alpha 2 from selflanguage.org

                              Cheers,

                              Russell
                            • Jecel Assumpcao Jr
                              Russell, congratulations on the new release! I ll try to test the Mac version (if it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also test
                              Message 14 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Russell,

                                congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac version (if
                                it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also test
                                Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old machine).

                                I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't very
                                familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
                                strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening would be
                                to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org

                                -- Jecel
                              • Jeremiah S. Junken
                                perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or something?
                                Message 15 of 20 , May 11, 2009
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or something?

                                  On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:


                                  Russell,

                                  congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac version (if
                                  it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also test
                                  Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old machine).

                                  I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't very
                                  familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
                                  strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening would be
                                  to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org

                                  -- Jecel




                                • Russell Allen
                                  I don t really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is a good idea. I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage.org and get it listed
                                  Message 16 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    I don't really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is a good idea.

                                    I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage.org and get it listed on planet.smalltalk.org

                                    I will need some volunteers to help to provide blog posts...


                                    On 12/05/2009, at 12:37 PM, Jeremiah S. Junken wrote:


                                    perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or something?

                                    On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:


                                    Russell,

                                    congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac version (if
                                    it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also test
                                    Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old machine).

                                    I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't very
                                    familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
                                    strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening would be
                                    to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org

                                    -- Jecel






                                  • Adam Spitz
                                    What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in? I d be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein, if you think people might be
                                    Message 17 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in?

                                      I'd be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein, if you think people might be interested.


                                      Adam



                                      --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > I don't really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is
                                      > a good idea.
                                      >
                                      > I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage.org and get it
                                      > listed on planet.smalltalk.org
                                      >
                                      > I will need some volunteers to help to provide blog posts...
                                      >
                                      >
                                      > On 12/05/2009, at 12:37 PM, Jeremiah S. Junken wrote:
                                      >
                                      > >
                                      > > perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or
                                      > > something?
                                      > >
                                      > > On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Russell,
                                      > >>
                                      > >> congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac
                                      > >> version (if
                                      > >> it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also
                                      > >> test
                                      > >> Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old
                                      > >> machine).
                                      > >>
                                      > >> I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't
                                      > >> very
                                      > >> familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
                                      > >> strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening
                                      > >> would be
                                      > >> to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org
                                      > >>
                                      > >> -- Jecel
                                      > >>
                                      > >>
                                      > >>
                                      > >>
                                      > >
                                      > >
                                      >
                                    • Russell Allen
                                      I m guessing that what people would be looking for would be evidence of life and community and insight into what Self is like to actually develop in. I get the
                                      Message 18 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        I'm guessing that what people would be looking for would be evidence of life and community and insight into what Self is like to actually develop in.

                                        I get the impression that Self is sometimes considered an interesting technology demo and not a real system.

                                        You experiences with Self and Klein should be perfect.

                                        On 13/05/2009, at 8:04 AM, "Adam Spitz" <adam.spitz@...> wrote:

                                        What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in?

                                        I'd be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein, if you think people might be interested.

                                        Adam

                                        --- In self-interest@ yahoogroups. com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > I don't really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is
                                        > a good idea.
                                        >
                                        > I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage .org and get it
                                        > listed on planet.smalltalk. org
                                        >
                                        > I will need some volunteers to help to provide blog posts...
                                        >
                                        >
                                        > On 12/05/2009, at 12:37 PM, Jeremiah S. Junken wrote:
                                        >
                                        > >
                                        > > perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or
                                        > > something?
                                        > >
                                        > > On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > >>
                                        > >> Russell,
                                        > >>
                                        > >> congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac
                                        > >> version (if
                                        > >> it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also
                                        > >> test
                                        > >> Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old
                                        > >> machine).
                                        > >>
                                        > >> I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't
                                        > >> very
                                        > >> familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
                                        > >> strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening
                                        > >> would be
                                        > >> to have some blog posts show up at http://planet. smalltalk. org
                                        > >>
                                        > >> -- Jecel
                                        > >>
                                        > >>
                                        > >>
                                        > >>
                                        > >
                                        > >
                                        >

                                      • Steve Dekorte
                                        ... I d like to see performance stats - stuff like message sends per second.
                                        Message 19 of 20 , May 12, 2009
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          On 2009-05-12, at 3:04 PM, Adam Spitz wrote:
                                          > What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in?
                                          >
                                          > I'd be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein,
                                          > if you think people might be interested.

                                          I'd like to see performance stats - stuff like message sends per second.
                                        • Jeremiah S. Junken
                                          I certainly would be very interested!
                                          Message 20 of 20 , May 13, 2009
                                          • 0 Attachment
                                            I certainly would be very interested!

                                            On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 22:04 +0000, Adam Spitz wrote:


                                            What kinds of blog posts would these people be interested in?

                                            I'd be happy to write about my experiences with Self or with Klein, if you think people might be interested.

                                            Adam

                                            --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > I don't really have the time to be on irc at the moment but a blog is
                                            > a good idea.
                                            >
                                            > I can set up a wordpress blog at blog.squeaklanguage.org and get it
                                            > listed on planet.smalltalk.org
                                            >
                                            > I will need some volunteers to help to provide blog posts...
                                            >
                                            >
                                            > On 12/05/2009, at 12:37 PM, Jeremiah S. Junken wrote:
                                            >
                                            > >
                                            > > perhaps time to grab an irc channel on gimp.net or freenode or
                                            > > something?
                                            > >
                                            > > On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 15:29 -0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Russell,
                                            > >>
                                            > >> congratulations on the new release! I'll try to test the Mac
                                            > >> version (if
                                            > >> it runs on PPC - I have no Intel Macs) later this week and can also
                                            > >> test
                                            > >> Solaris Sparc versions (I still use Solaris 8 on a 12 year old
                                            > >> machine).
                                            > >>
                                            > >> I have seen some new interest in Self lately by people who aren't
                                            > >> very
                                            > >> familiar with it and who are not on this mailing list. Perhaps one
                                            > >> strategy for letting people know that there is stuff happening
                                            > >> would be
                                            > >> to have some blog posts show up at http://planet.smalltalk.org
                                            > >>
                                            > >> -- Jecel
                                            > >>
                                            > >>
                                            > >>
                                            > >>
                                            > >
                                            > >
                                            >




                                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.