Linux: "Self 1" X I/O Error .. aborting process.

  • erikterpstra
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 10, 2008
      On Ubuntu Linux 8.10 I get the following error:

      ./Self -s Empty.snap

      Welcome to the Self system! (Version 4.1.5)

      Copyright 1992-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. and Stanford University.
      See the LICENSE file for license information.

      Type _Credits for full credits.

      VM version: 4.1.10

      "Self 1" X I/O Error .. aborting process.
      ======

      Any idea what might have gone wrong here?

      TIA,

      Erik.
    • Russell Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 10, 2008
        Hi Erik,

        I'm assuming you're using the linux vm from gliebe.de/self - or have you
        compiled your own from the sourceforge.net cvs tree?

        Something seems to have changed in recent Ubuntus (Ubunti? :) that breaks
        the integration between X11 and the vm - I've been looking at it but
        haven't had time to nail it down.

        If you have time and the setup it would be great if you could try it on
        some other distributions (older Ubuntu versions, or Fedora or Suse)

        If you want to run Self on linux (or windows) immediately you could try
        the premade VMWare image (which is Ubuntu 5.10, btw).

        Cheers,

        Russell