Re: [self-interest] Re: Self@Sourceforge CVS Tree

  • Russell Allen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
      Thanks.  I don't have an actual linux machine myself at the moment - I'm just working off vmware.

      Preliminary play with the latest Ubuntu seems to get most of the way (once various libraries have been included).  I can get it to more or less work up to the final link stage before ld crashes.

      One problem I'm not sure how to get around is that Self seems to want to use termcap rather than ncurses which isn't supported on debian based systems.

      I'll play some more and see if I get anywhere.

      Cheers,

      Russell

      On 01/06/2008, at 2:21 PM, Adam Spitz wrote:

      --- In self-interest@ yahoogroups. com, "russell.allen23" <mail@...> wrote:

      > I have Ubuntu set up on Vmware on my mac, and have checked out the sf.net
      > cvs tree, but frankly am a bit daunted by where to start compiling.
      >
      > In linux I would expect the standard gnuish ./configure; make; make install but I'm not
      > sure where to start with Self.
      >
      > I don't suppose there is a recipe out there of the 'go to vm/linux and make
      > interpreter' sort to get me started?

      For now, if I had to guess, I'd say try something like:

      add $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/bin/linux and $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/bin/shell to your path
      be sure you've got csh installed
      cd $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/bin/linux; make
      cd $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/vm/linux/ generated; make lists
      cd $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/vm/linux/ optimized; make

      I'm trying to get myself a Linux machine over here, so I can play with this myself. Haven't
      gotten it set up yet, though.

      Adam

    • Russell Allen
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2008
        OK, I have a compiled executable on Ubuntu 8.10.   Woohoo!

        At the moment it loads the Demo snapshot, but the desktop doesn't  come up.

        This presumably means that the integration with X11 has gone wrong somewhere.

        I'll have another try in a few days.

        (PS: the Self VM has an enormous amount of debugging info!  strip took the VM from 168M -> 1.6M!)

        -------------------------------------
        russell-desktop:~/Desktop> ./Self -s Demo.snap
        for I386:  LogVMMessages = true
        for I386:  PrintScriptName  = true
        for I386:  Inline = true
        for I386:  SICDeferUncommonBranches = false (not implemented)
        for I386:  SICReplaceOnStack = false (not implemented)
        for I386:  SaveOutgoingArgumentsOfPatchedFrames = true

        Welcome to the Self system!  (Version 4.2)

        Copyright 1992-2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. and Stanford University.
        See the LICENSE file for license information.

        Type _Credits for full credits.

        VM version: 4.1.12

        Adjusting VM for better UI2 performance:
          _MaxPICSize: 25
          _Flush
        "Self 2" desktop open
        Error: ENOSYS.
        Receiver is: raiseError.
        To debug in ui2, type:      selfProcessModel debugProcess: 0 as
        to debug in console, type:  attach: 0
        to dump stack, type:        0 as printError.
        The desktop is already open!
        desktop
        "Self 3" desktop go
        Warning: Self 1(type: worldMorph) cannot go; no sourceHands.
        desktop
        "Self 4" 3 + 4
        7
        "Self 5" quit
        Save to Demo.snap before quitting?
          y => save, then quit
          n => quit without saving
          RET => cancel
        Response: n
        russell-desktop:~/Desktop>

        On 03/06/2008, at 10:44 PM, Russell Allen wrote:

        Thanks.  I don't have an actual linux machine myself at the moment - I'm just working off vmware.

        Preliminary play with the latest Ubuntu seems to get most of the way (once various libraries have been included).  I can get it to more or less work up to the final link stage before ld crashes.

        One problem I'm not sure how to get around is that Self seems to want to use termcap rather than ncurses which isn't supported on debian based systems.

        I'll play some more and see if I get anywhere.

        Cheers,

        Russell

        On 01/06/2008, at 2:21 PM, Adam Spitz wrote:

        --- In self-interest@ yahoogroups. com, "russell.allen23" <mail@...> wrote:

        > I have Ubuntu set up on Vmware on my mac, and have checked out the sf.net
        > cvs tree, but frankly am a bit daunted by where to start compiling.
        >
        > In linux I would expect the standard gnuish ./configure; make; make install but I'm not
        > sure where to start with Self.
        >
        > I don't suppose there is a recipe out there of the 'go to vm/linux and make
        > interpreter' sort to get me started?

        For now, if I had to guess, I'd say try something like:

        add $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/bin/linux and $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/bin/shell to your path
        be sure you've got csh installed
        cd $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/bin/linux; make
        cd $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/vm/linux/ generated; make lists
        cd $SELF_WORKING_ DIR/vm/linux/ optimized; make

        I'm trying to get myself a Linux machine over here, so I can play with this myself. Haven't
        gotten it set up yet, though.

        Adam

      • Adam Spitz
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2008
          --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Russell Allen <mail@...> wrote:

          > OK, I have a compiled executable on Ubuntu 8.10. Woohoo!
          >
          > At the moment it loads the Demo snapshot, but the desktop doesn't
          > come up.

          That's great!

          Did you have to make any changes to the code? (If so, what?) Or was it just a matter of
          getting the right libraries and stuff installed?

          Adam
        • Russell Allen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2008
            I changed a reference in $SELF_WORKING_DIR/vm/linux/makeDeps.cpp to the gcc version from 4.1 to 4.2.

            Also I did "sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libncurses.a /usr/local/lib/libtermcap.a" to deal with a linking issue (ncurses will apparently work as termcap if necessary).  This presumably should be handled by a change in the build details somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

            From a stock Ubuntu 8.04 I loaded:
                libc6-dev
                g++
                flex-old
                build-essentials
                xorg-dev

            Russell

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
              Hi,

              So I have worked out that I can load my module with:

              bootstrap read: 'webserver' from: 'applications'

              and file it out with:

              modules webserver fileOut

              Is there any way to remove my module from the image, reverting to a nice, clean webserver-less image?

              Cheers,

              Russell

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
                Russell Allen wrote on Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:39:17 +1000:
                > So I have worked out that I can load my module with:
                > bootstrap read: 'webserver' from: 'applications'
                > and file it out with:
                > modules webserver fileOut
                > Is there any way to remove my module from the image, reverting to a nice, clean webserver-less image?

                I don't think this has been implemented. Given the annotations that
                every module has, this should be a lot easier to do than when you file
                in stuff with random expressions. Though a single module doesn't save
                the values it modified when loading, if you could look at all other
                modules and the initial values they define you should be able to figure
                out how to restore stuff. But this would require knowing the exact order
                in while all present modules were loaded in case multiple modules
                changed the same thing with different values.

                This, of course, is the general case. For the typical case a new module
                only adds stuff without changing what was there before. Removing that
                should be pretty simple.

                -- Jecel
              • Russell Allen
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 15, 2008
                  Thanks Jecel.  Sounds like something I'll have to come back to.