Greetings and a hardwar equestion

  • Andreas Semt
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hello list,

      that's my first post, so ... Greetings to everyone!

      I want to play with Self 4.3 and I'm planing to use the version for the
      Solaris operating system. I'm new to this OS, so i have two questions:

      1)
      What version of Solaris is needed by Self 4.3 (couldn't find any specific information in the release notes).
      2)
      What hardware is suited for running Self 4.3 with an acceptable performance?
      I have no SUN workstation yet, so i am looking for one at Ebay. Would a
      SUN Ultra 60 workstation be a sufficient machine?

      Thanks for any help!

      With best regards,
      Andreas Semt
    • Bergel, Alexandre
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
        A MacOSX version is available: http://research.sun.com/self/
        release_4.3/release.html

        Cheers,
        Alexandre

        On 31 Aug 2007, at 13:18, Andreas Semt wrote:

        > Hello list,
        >
        > that's my first post, so ... Greetings to everyone!
        >
        > I want to play with Self 4.3 and I'm planing to use the version for
        > the
        > Solaris operating system. I'm new to this OS, so i have two questions:
        >
        > 1)
        > What version of Solaris is needed by Self 4.3 (couldn't find any
        > specific information in the release notes).
        > 2)
        > What hardware is suited for running Self 4.3 with an acceptable
        > performance?
        > I have no SUN workstation yet, so i am looking for one at Ebay.
        > Would a
        > SUN Ultra 60 workstation be a sufficient machine?
        >
        > Thanks for any help!
        >
        > With best regards,
        > Andreas Semt

        Alexandre Bergel http://www.bergel.eu
      • Tripp Lilley
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2007
          On 8/31/07, Andreas Semt <Andreas.Semt@...> wrote:

          > 2)
          > What hardware is suited for running Self 4.3 with an acceptable performance?
          > I have no SUN workstation yet, so i am looking for one at Ebay. Would a
          > SUN Ultra 60 workstation be a sufficient machine?

          I used to run it on a plain old Ultra 5 :-) The JIT compiler is
          incredibly tuned on the Sparc. At least, it was... dunno about the
          current Self version(s). I've even run it with decent performance on a
          Sparc 20!

          - Tripp.
        • Andreas Semt
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2007
            Bergel, Alexandre schrieb:
            > A MacOSX version is available: http://research.sun.com/self/
            > release_4.3/release.html

            @Alexandre
            Yes, i know. However i want use the "original" version, also i
            have no Mac.

            @Tripp
            Which version of Self did you use on a Sun Ultra 5 workstation?

            Greetings,
            Andreas Semt