New Self release: 4.3

  • Adam Spitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2006
      Dave, Alex and I just wanted to announce that we've released a new
      version of Self. You can download it here:

      http://research.sun.com/self/release_4.3/release.html

      The new version includes Dave's port of Self to the Intel x86
      architecture, so that Self now runs on the new Intel-based Macs.
      (Self still doesn't run on Windows or Linux, though. If anyone out
      there is willing to get this latest version of Self running on
      Windows or Linux, we'd greatly appreciate it. In the meantime,
      there's Harald Gliebe and Gordon Cichon's x86 port at http://
      www.gliebe.de/self , which I believe is based on Self 4.1.6.)

      Additionally, Dave has revived the original Self user interface
      (UI1), although its cartoon-animation techniques haven't yet been
      incorporated into the default Morphic user interface (UI2). See the
      release notes for instructions on running UI1, and for a full list of
      changes in this release.

      If anyone has any trouble with the new release, please don't hesitate
      to let me know. Enjoy!

      Adam
    • Michael Latta
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17, 2006
        Adam,

        This is great news. It is good to know that Self will not die when the last
        PPC Mac bites the dust. Now I can have one machine that runs OS/X, Windows,
        and Self!

        Michael

      • David P Harris
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 17, 2006
          This would appear to be another good reason to get one of those nifty
          new Macs!

          David

          Adam Spitz wrote:

          > Dave, Alex and I just wanted to announce that we've released a new
          > version of Self. You can download it here:
          >
          > http://research.sun.com/self/release_4.3/release.html
          > <http://research.sun.com/self/release_4.3/release.html>
          >
          > The new version includes Dave's port of Self to the Intel x86
          > architecture, so that Self now runs on the new Intel-based Macs.
          > (Self still doesn't run on Windows or Linux, though. If anyone out
          > there is willing to get this latest version of Self running on
          > Windows or Linux, we'd greatly appreciate it. In the meantime,
          > there's Harald Gliebe and Gordon Cichon's x86 port at http://
          > www.gliebe.de/self , which I believe is based on Self 4.1.6.)
          >
          > Additionally, Dave has revived the original Self user interface
          > (UI1), although its cartoon-animation techniques haven't yet been
          > incorporated into the default Morphic user interface (UI2). See the
          > release notes for instructions on running UI1, and for a full list of
          > changes in this release.
          >
          > If anyone has any trouble with the new release, please don't hesitate
          > to let me know. Enjoy!
          >
          > Adam

        • Steve Dekorte
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2006
            On Jul 17, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Adam Spitz wrote:
            > The new version includes Dave's port of Self to the Intel x86
            > architecture, so that Self now runs on the new Intel-based Macs.

            Very cool. Are there any performance figures (like messages per
            second) for the intel port?

            - Steve