[Announcement] Zero 2.0.5 published

  • baltasarq
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2005
      I send this message to this list because I think it could be
      of interest as Zero borrows some important properties from Self
      (such as the lack of classes). If you are not interested, please
      warn me.

      In the system's web page,

      http://trevinca.ei.uvigo.es/~jgarcia/TO/zero/

      there are new packages for zero, the 2.0.5 version, this
      time for
      windows and
      for linux. However, the linux executables are dynamic ones. This
      means they
      are tied to libstdc++6-3.4.3.

      What's Zero ?
      =========

      Zero is a simple, tiny object-oriented, prototype-based
      programming
      system
      which has been designed for education. Right now, the virtual
      machine, the
      assembler and the macroassembler are available.

      Installation
      =======

      The install of Zero is very simple, and it doesn't affect
      the OS in
      which it
      lies: it is merely a matter of uncompressing the zip file in any new
      folder.
      Then, you should browse and follow the instructions in "readme.txt".

      In order to uninstall, you do only need to erase the folder.

      Web changes
      ============

      The web page has been extended with the following sections:
      How to
      contribute, Standard's Library capabilities manual, and Examples. In
      the
      first web page it is explained that you can specially contribute to
      Zero if
      you are a lecturer and want to use Zero in any subject related to
      object
      technology. Other ways of helping specially include creating
      programs with
      Zero and eventually find bugs, which will make the virtual machine
      even more
      stable. Those programs sent to the contact address will be published
      in the
      section of Examples. Last but not least, The Standard's Library
      capabilities
      manual explore the basic capabilities of the VM and explains them
      with tiny
      examples.

      Aditions to Zero
      ===========

      Visual Zero
      --------------
      The windows zip file includes Visual Zero, as usual since
      version
      2.0.4: it
      is graphic user application able to show the execution of a Zero
      program step
      by step, like a debugger, as well as exploring the objects present
      in the
      system. It is a good tool for demonstrating system's work in the
      classroom,
      for example.

      Structural reflection
      -------------------------

      Structural reflection is now available and complete, for
      attributes
      and
      methods.

      The compiler has been inserted into the virtual machine. Now
      it is
      possible
      to create and modify new methods in execution time. For this, you
      only need
      to use the inherited methods addMethod() and compilteToMethod(),
      which are
      explained in the web page in detail.

      Kind regards,

      Baltasar

      --

      PBC -- J. Baltasar García Perez-Schofield
      jbgarcia en uvigo de es http://webs.uvigo.es/jbgarcia/