A Brief History of Just-in-Time

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 2005
      This is the title of an interesting 2001 paper by John Aycock
      (http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~aycock/)

      The paper's most detailed section is about Self:

      <http://pharos.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Dienst/Repository/2.0/Body/ncstrl.ucalga
      ry_cs/2001-689-12/postscript>

      On an unrelated note, a friend called my attention to the page about
      Self in the Wikipedia.

      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_programming_language>

      There are several little errors in the history part, but these are not
      important compared to the "Inheritance" and "Adding Slots" sections
      which are simply wrong. They seem to have been written by someone
      familiar with the Io and NewtonScript family of prototype based
      languages (where you create new, empty objects derived from the
      prototype instead of cloned from it) and who assumed that Self was the
      same.

      I don't know what the proper protocol for fixing this is (my impression
      is that it is very informal), but given that this information is being
      copied to other sites (see answers.com) it would be a good idea not to
      leave it like this.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 2005
        Ian Woollard wrote on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:49:55 +0000
        > Just grab an account, and change it. (Actually you can do it without
        > grabbing an account, but it's best to get an account.) If somebody
        > disagrees with what you have written they'll change it back.
        > Surprisingly it works pretty well, although occasionally big battles
        > do occur. But if you give references that's less likely.

        Ok, I took a quick first pass at this. There was much more wrong than I
        had noticed on my first reading of that page, so there is still plenty
        to fix. As for references, the ones that were already at the bottom of
        that very page should be more than enough. The person who wrote the
        original text either didn't read them and only linked to them or didn't
        understand the papers.

        -- Jecel
      • Ian Woollard
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2005

          --
          -Ian Woollard

          Free will, or synaptic wiring? You decide!