Trouble downloading Self snapshots

  • Phil Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2003
      Hi there a college mentioned Self to me when we were having a chat
      about pure OO languages so I thought I'd give it a go.

      I've downloaded the Cygwin version and managed to get the VM# prompt
      but can't download either of the snapshots.

      The file sizes are:

      Demo.snap.gz 12.9MB
      Empty.snap.gz 15.8MB

      When I try to extract them I get gzip incomplete or corrupted from
      PowerArchiver. I've tried using cygwin gzip but get a message saying
      it's not a gzip file.

      Anyone got any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Phil
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2003
        On Friday 16 May 2003 16:18, Phil Thompson wrote:
        > Hi there a college mentioned Self to me when we were having a chat
        > about pure OO languages so I thought I'd give it a go.
        >
        > I've downloaded the Cygwin version and managed to get the VM# prompt
        > but can't download either of the snapshots.
        >
        > The file sizes are:
        >
        > Demo.snap.gz 12.9MB
        > Empty.snap.gz 15.8MB

        How odd... the uncompressed size of Demo.snap for me is 12478724 bytes,
        which gzip can reduce down to just 3312508 bytes. I would try to just
        rename Demo.snap.gz to Demo.snap and see if Self can't load it. If it
        is uncompressed, then the first hundred bytes or so are actually in
        text form and you should be able to read them using "less" or "more".

        Good luck!
        -- Jecel
      • Phil Thompson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2003
          Thanks I didn't think of that but I used lynx in Cygwin to download
          the gzips and it worked. However, I've now found that Self/x86
          doesn't work with the latest version of Cygwin so I'm downloading
          Knoppix but I'll have a dedicated linux box soon so should be a bit
          simpler after that.

          Thanks,
          Phil

          --- In self-interest@yahoogroups.com, Jecel Assumpcao Jr