[BUG] Self 4.1.6 fails to start on OS X 10.2.1

  • Brian T Rice
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
      First of all, I definitely appreciate the work on PICs for the PowerPC. On
      downloading and trying to work with the new version of Self, however, the
      SelfDroplet produces the following strange output and fails:

      water:localhost@~> cd "${SELF_WORKING_DIR}"/objects;
      ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self -s
      "/Users/water/Self/objects/BareBones.snap"
      dyld: ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self
      Undefined symbols:
      ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self undefined
      reference to _tgetent expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
      ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self undefined
      reference to _tgetflag expected to be defined in
      /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
      ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self undefined
      reference to _tgetnum expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
      ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self undefined
      reference to _tgetstr expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
      ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self undefined
      reference to _tgoto expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
      Trace/BPT trap
      water:localhost@Dev/Self/objects>

      Can someone reproduce this? The library definitely exists on my system.
      Perhaps it's supposed to be using a debugging or profiling library.

      Thanks,
      ~
    • michael_abd_el_malek
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2002
        Hi Brian,

        I haven't been able to reproduce your problem. I have tried the Self
        release on various machines and they all work fine.

        The undefined references all belong to the ncurses library. The
        "otool" utility shows that the Self app is dynamically linked to
        /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib. Can you confirm that your system has the
        /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib library? It is standard with Mac OS X.

        Also, are you sure you're using the Self 4.1.6 binary? Make sure that
        your SELF_WORKING_DIR points to the Self 4.1.6 release, not to an old
        Self 4.1.5 binary.

        Good luck
        Mike

        --- In self-interest@y..., Brian T Rice <water@t...> wrote:
        > First of all, I definitely appreciate the work on PICs for the
        PowerPC. On
        > downloading and trying to work with the new version of Self,
        however, the
        > SelfDroplet produces the following strange output and fails:
        >
        > water:localhost@~> cd "${SELF_WORKING_DIR}"/objects;
        > ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self -s
        > "/Users/water/Self/objects/BareBones.snap"
        > dyld: ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self
        > Undefined symbols:
        > ../vm/mac_osx/vm_project/build/Self.app/Contents/MacOS/Self undefined
        > reference to _tgetent expected to be defined in
        /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

        > [ ... ]
        >
        > Trace/BPT trap
        > water:localhost@Dev/Self/objects>

        > Can someone reproduce this? The library definitely exists on my system.
        > Perhaps it's supposed to be using a debugging or profiling library.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > ~
      • Brian T Rice
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2002
          Hi Mike,

          On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, michael_abd_el_malek wrote:

          > Hi Brian,
          >
          > I haven't been able to reproduce your problem. I have tried the Self
          > release on various machines and they all work fine.
          >
          > The undefined references all belong to the ncurses library. The
          > "otool" utility shows that the Self app is dynamically linked to
          > /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib. Can you confirm that your system has the
          > /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib library? It is standard with Mac OS X.

          I checked that. It's there.

          > Also, are you sure you're using the Self 4.1.6 binary? Make sure that
          > your SELF_WORKING_DIR points to the Self 4.1.6 release, not to an old
          > Self 4.1.5 binary.

          O-ho! Thanks. :)

          > Good luck
          > Mike

          Brian
        • David Ungar
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
            Brian,

            I found this in one of my mailboxes--I assume this has been cleared up.
            Let me know if not.

            - Dave