[self-interest] plans

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 1999
      As I was planning the next steps in the development of my project, I
      saw that I had two paths that I could follow with the user interface
      technologies:

      - do them as part of the overall tinySelf effort
      - implement them so that they would work on the standard Self 4.0 VM

      The first option is easier since maintaining compatibility is always
      a great time drain. The little thing of tracking why Self 4 would only
      work with 256 colors that I did a while ago is a good example of this.

      On the other hand, doing it in Self would allow people on this list
      with access to Sun machines to try it out and even build programs
      around it (making tinySelf and Self 4 *much* more compatible). The
      technologies I am talking about are:

      - 3D GUI (with a very reduced dependence on X Windows)
      - "slices" selection mechanism
      - different input event system
      - multilingual cannonical strings
      - "agent scripting" platform

      I can go into details about these, if there is interest (though
      this is more related to my project than with Self). If I were two
      implement this on Self 4.0, I could either do it as one big blob
      (a new Snapshot, for example) or as separately loadable modules.
      Which would be preferable? It would certainly be much harder to
      make these changes independent.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/self-interest
    • shaping@bigfoot.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 1999
        > As I was planning the next steps in the development of my project, I
        > saw that I had two paths that I could follow with the user interface
        > technologies:
        >
        > - do them as part of the overall tinySelf effort
        > - implement them so that they would work on the standard Self 4.0 VM
        >
        > The first option is easier since maintaining compatibility is always
        > a great time drain. The little thing of tracking why Self 4 would only
        > work with 256 colors that I did a while ago is a good example of this.
        >
        > On the other hand, doing it in Self would allow people on this list
        > with access to Sun machines to try it out and even build programs
        > around it (making tinySelf and Self 4 *much* more compatible). The
        > technologies I am talking about are:
        >
        > - 3D GUI (with a very reduced dependence on X Windows)
        > - "slices" selection mechanism
        > - different input event system
        > - multilingual cannonical strings
        > - "agent scripting" platform
        >
        > I can go into details about these, if there is interest

        Yes, please break these down a little for us.

        I have a special interest in high-performance 3D graphics (currently in
        Squeak), but without using Qt-like C++ frameworks to achieve high speeds.

        I don't know what "slices" refers to.

        I would like details on your best concept for an input event system.

        (though
        > this is more related to my project than with Self). If I were two
        > implement this on Self 4.0, I could either do it as one big blob
        > (a new Snapshot, for example) or as separately loadable modules.
        > Which would be preferable? It would certainly be much harder to
        > make these changes independent.

        Why is Self 4.0-compatibility important? If you understand clearly and
        completely what you are doing by creating tinySelf, then realize tinySelf,
        and forget everything else for now.

        I want simplicity (a few broadly applied patterns), clarity, and minimality.
        From these, we build the rest. From these, also, we build and
        compartmentalize our Self 4.0-compatibility, if desired.

        Cheers.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/self-interest