New upgrades to online Ptolemaic genealogy

  • Chris Bennett
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2001
      With apologies for duplicate announcements from crossposting.

      I have just released the next major set of upgrades to the annotated
      Ptolemaic genealogy at http://www.geocities.com/christopherjbennett/
      These consist of:

      -- A bibliography
      -- Several sections of background analysis, particularly of the sequence of
      reigns, and overview analyses of the genealogies. This section will
      probably be completed next year.
      -- Format improvements, notably an increased text size for the notes, and a
      [Home] link on every page that will work even when pages are found through
      search engines.

      The content is updated without announcement as I find new material. Some
      recently added items that may be of interest are:
      -- Confirmation that Ptolemy VI had a younger son Ptolemy, who acted as
      eponymous priest under Ptolemy VIII
      -- An expansion of the discussion of the two children of Theoxena, probable
      stepdaughter of Ptolemy I, by Agathocles of Syracuse, who may be identified
      with Archagathus, epistates of Libya early in the reign of Ptolemy II, and a
      younger Theoxena, exiled to Upper Egypt by him
      -- An expanded genealogy of the kings of Soli in Cyprus, the last of whom
      married a daughter of Ptolemy I
      -- Coinage evidence indicating that Cleopatra Selene, daughter of Ptolemy
      VIII and widow of numerous Antiochi, acted as regent for her eldest son
      Antiochus XIII.

      Feedback, new material, suggestions for improvement, criticisms and
      compliments are always welcome at cjbennett@....

      Regards,
      Chris Bennett