Re: Alexander Balas

  • saintxmas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2012
      Polybius was very skeptical about Balas (33.18) and Appian
      asserts he was a liar (Syr.67).
      He was supported by the Attalids, and had the nod
      from the Roman senate.
      But I think his marriage to Cleopatra Thea provides the
      strongest hint; it is unlikely the Ptolemies ( Ptolemy
      vi )would have allowed a Priness to marry a commoner usurper.

      Rod N