Help

  • carmelo di nicuolo
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
      Dear Colleagues,

      I have to ask you some help. Does anybody know something about stamps and inscriptions on bricks, tiles etc. in Athens and Attica during the Hellenistic Period? Is there some basic bibliography about that? I would really appreciate your precious suggestions.

      Thank you very much
      Best Regards

    • Dan Powers
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
        Hi Carmelo,

        That is a loaded question. I would suggest consulting a couple of
        inscription series, but they include the broad range of periods, not just
        the Hellenistic period.

        First I would consult the IG II2

        1. [IG I; IG II] Inscriptiones Graecae: [Editio Minor]: Inscriptiones
        Atticae. Ed. F. Hiller de Gaertringen and J. Kirchner

        2. Archaeological reports from the various 'archaeological' schools in
        Athens. (British, American, Swedish, German, and French for starters). in
        this sort of very specific search, you may consider emailing a person or two
        listed on the respective schools' websites.

        Then:

        1. [SEG] Supplementum Epigraphicum Graecum. Vols. 1-25 + Index.
        (1923-1971) Bound in 8 vols. The current series (1976-97) is available in
        separate volumes.

        2. [SIA] Supplementum Inscriptionum Atticarum. SIA I. (IG I2,
        II2/III2). Paraleipomena et Addenda. Ed. Al. N. Oikonomides.Inscriptiones
        Graecae ad Res Romanas Pertinentes. (IGRR). 4 volumes in three. Edd. R.
        Cagnat, J. Toutain, P. Jouguet et G. Lafaye.

        3. [RIG] Receuil d'Inscriptions Grecques (Supplements 1912-1917).
        Inscriptiones Atticae in RIG (Suppl.) Ch. Michel.

        There are versions by multiple publishers, some more up to date than others.
        I would check with your local university library to see what they have on
        hand. If you are close to Rome, Athens, Paris, or London - you should be
        able to arrange for access to any number of research libraries.

        This is no small bibliography, I wish you the best of luck in your search.
        This should get you started, but you will have to read through a great deal
        probably to find what you are looking for. I am sure others on the list can
        be of more help than me.

        -Dan

        Dan Powers

        dark41@...

        "It's not a matter of being afraid or not, it's about what you do when you
        ARE afraid"

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
          Hi Carmelo,

          I had a look in the Guide de l¹épigraphiste, 2010 (the fourth edition; but
          the third should do too; it¹s where I would in general look for such
          matters, as it saves one much legwork). The most relevant item, among much
          else they refer to, seems to me to be B. Kindt, Les tuiles inscrites de
          Corcyre, Louvain la Neuve 1997, containing in an appendix (non vidi ­ I am
          reporting from the Guide) an important bibliography of inscribed tiles in
          the Greek world, numbering 287 references.
          Otherwise, indeed, the Supplementum epigraphicum graecum.

          All best,

          Paola