My new Seleucid book is published (in Swedish)

  • Jens
    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2010
      Dear group,

      once again my excuses for a bit of self-promotion.

      I have just published 'Alexanders Arvtagare' the Swedish version of my book 'Alexander's Heirs'. It is available from Sekel Publishing (www.sekel.se) or hopefully soon in bookstores in Sweden. (You can also contact me, I sell my own share of the edition for a somewhat lower price.)

      The book is essentially a work of popular history, which follows the Hellenistic period from a Seleucid perspective, covering the exploits of all the kings, as well as presenting the structure of the Seleucid Empire. There is also an introduction to Hellenistic science and culture. I present a number of anecdotes and wider historical outlooks, but my aim is nevertheless to keep up to date with modern research. There are of course also passages about Ptolemies, the Hasmoneans and other neighbouring states.

      The Indo-Greeks are treated separately, and here I rely, to some extent, on my own research. AFAIK, this chapter is the first popular work ever written about the Indo-Greeks. I have tried to confine the more difficult analyses to the footnotes.

      I have written a rough English version of the manuscript, and my ambition is to eventually publish the book internationally. If anybody is interested in this publication, or just want to read a few excerpts, please contact me via this group and I'll be happy to send some sample chapters.

      I've worked with this manuscript since 2004, and I am really pleased that it is at last published. I should thank Mark Passehl, LM Wilson, Oliver Hoover, Arthur Houghton, Osmund Bopearachchi, CNGcoins,and a lot of others who have helped me with both ideas and illustrations.

      Kindly,
      Jens Jakobsson
    • AHA95@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2010
        Jens, this is wonderful news. Congratulations, and I'm glad you found the
        illustrations useful.

        Arthur

        In a message dated 5/9/2010 6:14:22 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

      • Jim Webster
        Message 3 of 6 , May 9, 2010
          Congratulations, and if I could read Swedish I'd be delighted to purchase a
          copy.
          I'll look forward to your English Language version with great interest,

          Jim
          > once again my excuses for a bit of self-promotion.
          >
          > I have just published 'Alexanders Arvtagare' the Swedish version of my
          > book 'Alexander's Heirs'. It is available from Sekel Publishing
          > (www.sekel.se) or hopefully soon in bookstores in Sweden. (You can also
          > contact me, I sell my own share of the edition for a somewhat lower
          > price.)
          >
          > The book is essentially a work of popular history, which follows the
          > Hellenistic period from a Seleucid perspective, covering the exploits of
          > all the kings, as well as presenting the structure of the Seleucid Empire.
          > There is also an introduction to Hellenistic science and culture. I
          > present a number of anecdotes and wider historical outlooks, but my aim is
          > nevertheless to keep up to date with modern research. There are of course
          > also passages about Ptolemies, the Hasmoneans and other neighbouring
          > states.
          >
          > The Indo-Greeks are treated separately, and here I rely, to some extent,
          > on my own research. AFAIK, this chapter is the first popular work ever
          > written about the Indo-Greeks. I have tried to confine the more difficult
          > analyses to the footnotes.
          >
          > I have written a rough English version of the manuscript, and my ambition
          > is to eventually publish the book internationally. If anybody is
          > interested in this publication, or just want to read a few excerpts,
          > please contact me via this group and I'll be happy to send some sample
          > chapters.
          >
          > I've worked with this manuscript since 2004, and I am really pleased that
          > it is at last published. I should thank Mark Passehl, LM Wilson, Oliver
          > Hoover, Arthur Houghton, Osmund Bopearachchi, CNGcoins,and a lot of others
          > who have helped me with both ideas and illustrations.
          >
          > Kindly,
          > Jens Jakobsson

          > Shortcut URL to this page:

        • Ken's Public
          Message 4 of 6 , May 9, 2010
            I will be interested in the book when it is available in English.

            Ken

            Message 5 of 6 , May 11, 2010
              Jens,

              congratulations on your new book! I hope to see the English version very soon, as my "Svenska" is really poor.

              Best,

              Omar

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 5 1:35 PM
                Dear group,

                thanks for your encouragement. There is now a homepage for my book
                Alexanders Arvtagare (Alexander's Heirs). On the English page,
                http://www.alexandersarvtagare.se/English1.html
                <http://www.alexandersarvtagare.se/English1.html>

                there is a brief presentation of the book, and two excerpts from the as
                yet unpublished English version, which has been proofread and improved
                by Mary Lannin. I present the wars of the Diadochi from Seleucus'
                perspective, and the dramatic highlights of the battle for Iran and
                Babylonia between the Seleucids and the Parthians. The texts can be
                distributed freely as long as they are not used commercially or quoted
                without source and link to the page - the usual procedure! Thanks to
                those who have allowed me to use the illustrations.

                If anyone finds errors in the text, I would be grateful if you could
                please contact me!

                Kindly,

                Jens Jakobsson

                --- In seleukids@yahoogroups.com <mailto:seleukids@yahoogroups.com> ,