Phokaia

  • carmelodn79
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 23, 2009
      Dear colleagues,

      could you help me suggesting how to learn something more about seleucid coinage in Phokaia?The few elements i have found are really not enough...

      Thank you very much

      With my Best Regards

      Carmelo Di Nicuolo-Napoli-Athens
    • Carl Sandler Berkowitz
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 23, 2009
        Head, in Historia Numorum, p. 589, talks about the Seleucid tetradrachms
        struck there about the beginning of the reign of Antiochus Theon (circ. 261
        BC), probably under a convention with Cyme and Myria. He refers to
        Macdonald, Journal of Hellenic Studies, XXVII, pp. 145ff. So that might be
        a place to start.

        At that point, perhaps a web search might lead you down numerous alleys. I
        tried entering Antiochos and Phokaia and there are innumerable entries that
        could be pursued. Then try Antiochus and Phocaia and then start again with
        Phocaea. Happy hunting.

        Carl Berkowitz

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2009
          Perhaps these will prove of some assistance? Best Jeff

          Meadows, Andrew. History re-stored : ancient Greek coins from the
          Zhuyuetang collection, Andrew Meadows and Richard W.C. Kan. Hong Kong :
          Zhuyuetang Ltd., 2004.

          La monetazione dei Focei in occidente : Atti del XI convegno del Centro
          internazionale di studi numismatici, Napoli 25-27 ottobre 1996. Roma :
          Istituto italiano di numismatica, 2002.

          Giacchero, Marta. I motivi finanziari e commerciale dell'unione
          monetaria fra Mitilene e Focea.
          Rivista Italiana di Numismatica Vol. LXXXII (1980) pp. 1-10.

          On 9/23/2009 9:49 AM, carmelodn79 wrote:
          > Dear colleagues,
          >
          > could you help me suggesting how to learn something more about seleucid coinage in Phokaia?The few elements i have found are really not enough...
          >

          > Thank you very much
          >
          > With my Best Regards
          >
          > Carmelo Di Nicuolo-Napoli-Athens

          > Shortcut URL to this page:

          Jeffrey D. Lerner
          Associate Professor
          Wake Forest University
          Department of History
          P.O. Box 7806
          Winston-Salem, NC 27109
          U.S.A.

          Phone: 336.758.5558
          Fax: 336.758.6130
        • Oliver D. Hoover
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 23, 2009
            Of course, the best place to look for Seleucid coins of Phokaia would
            be in A. Houghton and C. Lorber, Seleucid Coins, Part 1. See also
            the Addenda in A. Houghton, C. Lorber and O. Hoover, Seleucid Coins,
            Part 2 and the plated coin appendix in the same work. That should
            cover everything.

            Oliver D. Hoover