Reform of Alexander Balas

  • zuzziim
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2009
      Hello,
      I read the pre/post Alexander reform Chalkous denomination breakdown
      in the new Seleucid coinage II. Is there any evidence for this reform
      and renaming of denominations aside for the discontinuance of the
      "heavy" bronze denominations?

      Also, assuming the obol maintained its value as a precious metal, does
      the assigning of a Chalkous to a lower weight coin not mean that
      higher value was now assigned to the bronze token coinage - hence the
      opposite of a devaluation of the bronze currency.

      Thanks,
      Isadore Goldstein
    • Oliver D. Hoover
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2009
        The evidence comes from the abandonment of the heavy denominations,
        the general metrology of the later bronze issues, and the weight of
        the Syrian chalkous in the early imperial period.

        I don't think that an increased weight for bronze coinage necessarily
        indicates a higher value. This is certainly not the case for early
        modern token coinages in which the face value was normally much
        inflated over the intrinsic value of the metal and the cost of
        production. In many cases I suspect that the size and weight of a
        given bronze denominational unit was based on perception, just as it
        was (and arguably still is) for early modern token coinages. The
        question for bronze is really "Will the people using it accept it as
        a fraction of an obol?" much more frequently than "Does it have
        enough bronze in it to be worth a fraction of an obol."

        Oliver D. Hoover

      • zuzim@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 10, 2009
          Thank you Oliver.
          By the "weight of the Syrian chalkous in the early imperial period" are you refering to the Antiochean "SC" types and the greek imperial bronze coins generally attributed with Roman denominations?
          Thanks,
          Isadore
          -------------- Original message from "Oliver D. Hoover" <oliver.hoover@...>: --------------