Portrait of Pyrrhus of Epirus or not?

  • postumusagrippa
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2008
      I've been looking at the (supposed) portraiture of Pyrrhus of Epirus
      lately, and I'm in a quandary as to whether I believe it is
      necessarily him.

      Here's why:

      There is a portrait in the NCG that is supposedly of the Epirote king
      (I have posted it in the PHOTOS section under ?Pyrrhus), and a
      portrait of Alexander the Great in the Dresden Museum (also in the
      ?Pyrrhus folder in the PHOTOS section) that have a rather strong
      resemblance.

      Of course, Pyrrhus was related to Alexander, but it was a somewhat
      distant relationship, both on Pyrrhus' paternal side - first cousins
      once removed (Pyrrhus' father's mother [Troas] was Alexander's
      mother's [Olympias] sister) and second cousins (Pyrrhus' father's
      father was the uncle of Olympias and so great-uncle of Alexander).

      Now if you go to the PHOTOS section, you'll notice that the two
      figures have quite a strong resemblance to one another.

      The thing I can't work out is if they would have had such a strong
      resemblance to one another...?

      I have also included in the PHOTOS section, pictures of other somewhat
      oddly related ancient people - Caligula and Drusus Minor
      (half-first-cousins through their mothers and first cousins once
      removed through their fathers) or even Nero and Drusus Minor
      (half-first cousins once removed as well as first cousins twice removed).

      Alternatively, it may be that the statues were made by the same person
      and they just look very similar in style. Of course, that would
      probably mean that the statue of Pyrrhus was carved to resemble the
      statue of Alexander, which would mean that that particular statue type
      of Alexander existed when it may have been important for Pyrrhus to
      resemble Alexander.

      Is there a possibility that the so-called Pyrrhus statue is not Pyrrhus?

      If so, who else might it be?

      A list of male relatives of Alexander:
      * Philip II (father)
      * Philip III Arrhidaeus (half-brother)