Rare AE Seleukos ??

  • S Murad
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2007
      Dear members
      I failed to find a similar specimen of this AE18 mm coin on the net.
      It is obviouly Seleukos; but which one please?

      http://www.fotothing.com/antikji/

      Best regards
      Sami

      Live the good life! Click now for great retirement planning assistance!
      <http://www.relevantads.biz/fc/Ioyw36XHxiq5OS0kWaAWgCLlhKnppR20iO8onXL1Q
      KMWijcW0vmjqP/>

    • dumitru adrian
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2007
        Dear members,

        first I wish you all a "Happy New Year", and a special thanks to our epimelets.

        Second, I have a question (stimulated by the reading of Mr. Hoover's article about the chronology of the late Seleukids):

        the minting activity of the last Seleukid kings is surprisingly high for a kingdom hit by civil strife. This is very true for those who are abble to beocme kings - for a year or two. But what about their rivals and/or sometimes protectors, the more or less local "sheiks", like Sampsikeramus or Ptolemaios, the son of Mennas, or Iamblichos. Are they minting any coins? And how could we be sure that a monetary finding might me attributed to one of thos ... felllows?

        Thank you,

        Adrian

      • Jens Jakobsson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2008
          I haven't been able to find the exact coin either, but I would guess
          that it belongs to Seleukos I. The obverse, a rather singular
          3/4-profile of Apollon, seems to have been used by Seleukos I and
          Antiochos I, and Seleukos also struck several coins with bulls, perhaps
          to accompany myths about him wrestling a stray sacrificial bull. Here is
          an example of the obverse from Snible.org
          <http://snible.org/coins/bmc/syria/2.html> (coin no 12).

          Best regards,

          Jens Jakobsson

          --- In seleukids@yahoogroups.com, "S Murad" <antikji@...> wrote:

          > Dear members
          > I failed to find a similar specimen of this AE18 mm coin on the net.
          > It is obviouly Seleukos; but which one please?
          >
          > http://www.fotothing.com/antikji/
          >
          > Best regards
          > Sami
          >

          > Live the good life! Click now for great retirement planning
          assistance!

          <http://www.relevantads.biz/fc/Ioyw36XHxiq5OS0kWaAWgCLlhKnppR20iO8onXL1Q
          > KMWijcW0vmjqP/>

          ________________<BR>Get the Free email that has everyone talking at <a
          href=http://www.mail2world.com
          target=new>http://www.mail2world.com</a><br> <font
          color=#999999>Unlimited Email Storage – POP3 – Calendar –