Bevan's "The House of Seleucus"

  • Steve Cady
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2007
      Hi, all.

      I'm new to the list. No great scholar mind you, but I've had a
      fondness for things Hellenistic for some time now. That encompasses
      reading and also painting historical miniatures. I'm working on 30mm
      flats and a 54mm army loosely based on the Seleukid.

      I'm about 2/3 of the way through the Ares Press reprint of Bevan's "The
      House of Seleucus." The prose style is dated but the narrative is
      holding my interest. To my amateur eye, the scholarship seems
      reasonably sound. But I'm wondering if this work is so dated that I'd
      be better off reading something else.

      Regards,

      Steve C.
    • Oliver D. Hoover
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2007
        Steve,

        Bevan is still the only full connected narrative of Seleucid history
        from beginning to end in the English language (a new full history
        really needs to be done), although there have been many advances in
        our understanding since 1902. For recent work you might like to look
        at the bibliography page of www.seleukidempire.org.

        Oliver D. Hoover