Antiochos Epiphanes

  • Marcin Taraszkiewicz
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
      Hello Everyone,

      I have been doing some research recently into the coinage of Antiochos Epiphanes from the Tripolis mint. This coinage had been previously assigned to Antiochos VIII but opinions now differ with regards to the king shown on this coinage. Some recent research points to the eldest son of Antiochos VII as being the king shown on these coins. Is there any other recent scholarship out there that offers a different attribution? What will SC part II say regarding this issue?

      Thank you for your help.

      Best regards,

      Marcin

      Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

    • Oliver D. Hoover
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
        Marcin,

        I can only assume that the "recent research" that you mention is the
        interesting article from JNG 46 (1996). If this is correct, you
        should take a look at the earlier Houghton and Le Rider article in
        BCH 112 (1988), pp. 401-411, where it is argued that the coins were
        produced at Antioch in c. 128. The date and mint seem to be
        assured by the double control links between the "Antiochus
        Epiphanes" silver and issues of Alexander Zabinas. While such a date
        would tend to rule out an obscure son of Antiochus VII, it does not
        necessarily vindicate the Antiochus VIII position. As many scholars
        have noticed, the portrait doesn't look especially like Antiochus
        VIII. Likewise, an abortive reign for him in c. 128 is problematic
        because Justin reports that he had an elder brother (Seleucus V) who
        briefly claimed the diadem before the elevation of Antiochus VIII.

        In SC 2 we report all of the problems and essentially leave the
        question open. The king is described as "A Young Antiochus
        Epiphanes" in the text.

        Oliver D. Hoover

        On 10-Apr-07, at 8:46 AM, Marcin Taraszkiewicz wrote:

        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I have been doing some research recently into the coinage of
        > Antiochos Epiphanes from the Tripolis mint. This coinage had been
        > previously assigned to Antiochos VIII but opinions now differ with
        > regards to the king shown on this coinage. Some recent research
        > points to the eldest son of Antiochos VII as being the king shown
        > on these coins. Is there any other recent scholarship out there
        > that offers a different attribution? What will SC part II say
        > regarding this issue?
        >
        > Thank you for your help.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Marcin
        >

        > Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay
        > connected to friends. http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: seleukids@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: seleukids-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:
        > http://www.yahoogroups.com/community/seleukids
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Marcin Taraszkiewicz
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2007
          Oliver,

          Did the change of mint attribution for the Antiochos Epiphanes coins also affect the Tripolis mint Antiochos IX coinage? Thanks.