Obverse die question

  • Walter Holt's Old Money - W.H.O.M.
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2006
      Dear list,
      I wish to pick your collective brains about a matter of some importance
      to me, that of the attribution of a coin of Antiochus II to the mint of
      Ephesus (ie: the attributions of SC.540 and SC.543).

      Please compare the obverse dies of these pieces:
      http://www.freemanandsear.com/displayproduct.pl?prodid=2720
      and
      http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=81718&IsEnlarged=1
      http://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=60850&IsEnlarged=1
      (which share the same reverse die)

      They are apparently the same obverse die, but one is given to Ephesus
      and the other to Magnesia. I understand there is still some debate and
      discussion about this, and general uncertainty about Ephesus at all
      (hence "perhaps Ephesus").

      Does this obverse die necessarily belong to just one city or the other?

      Or does this therefore bring both the CNG pieces to "perhaps Ephesus",
      or perhaps take the F&S piece away from Ephesus?

      Does anyone have any further information regarding these attributions?

      I am very interested in hearing what can be offered with regard to this
      (as I have an example of 543).

      On a related note: if anyone has an example of SC.544 that they want to
      offer me, please feel free to do so! :) I am quite interested (-off list
      please).

      Kind regards,

      Walter Holt
      www.vcoins.com/oldmoney